Need help bleeding my Yanmar 4JH3-TE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the filters are that difficult to source, maybe change the whole thing to a filter with elements that are more readily available. Might be worth it in the long run. Air leaks are a PITA to track down, I just went through this with one of the engines on the boat we just sold.

After looking at many pictures online, I think the filter assembly is a Yanmar relabelled Racor 230R10, which takes the Racor R10T filter element. But, like so much else right now, there seem to be local shortages of the R10T filters which I believe are a fairly commonly inventoried part - in normal circumstances.

The epilogue: My problem is solved. It seems that the boatyard or owner had replaced the original Yanmar primary fuel filter which was part #4230-0100 with an incorrect filter. This was partly understandable because that Yanmar part # was discontinued. I now have a Racor R20P (30 micron) installed. Works perfectly.

Unfortunately, this problem began because I used an incorrect filter (Yanmar #120650-55010). This happened because I purchased a part using the same number as the one I was replacing. That was the start of the problems. I also erred by swapping over the outside gasket from the old filter to the new one because the new one didn't come with a correct gasket. I should have become suspicious right away when there wasn't a matching gasket, but I assumed incorrectly that the old filter was correct since it functioned correctly as far as I knew.

Lessons learned:

1. Don't assume whatever parts may have been used by someone before you are correct; do all the research necessary to acquire the correct parts.) Finding the correct filter in this case turned out to be difficult because the original housing assembly part number was only identifiable after comparing what I had to pictures online.)

2. Against all logic, air was being suctioned into the system in a gap between the primary filter and its housing. It is not logical because there was no sign of air at the top of the secondary filter even though it is downstream of the primary filter. The air suctioned in at the primary somehow bypassed the secondary filter even though it was plentiful at the injector nuts when they were cracked open. I still don't understand how it got through the secondary filter which bled out totally clean fuel even though that filter was between the source of the air leak and the injector nuts.

3. Lastly, I learned what a great resource you guys are. There were many useful thoughts and correct conclusions drawn which led me to a successful outcome. Many thanks to all who chimed in.

Last edited:
That racer filter housing has a priming pump built in. There is a vent screw off set and the priming pump is the knurled knob in the centre. Unscrew it, loosen the vent plug and pump the primer till fuel comes out the vent. Primary filter is now primed. You could continue pumping and vent the secondary filter using the same method.
Filter has a square shoulder gasket on upper and a round o ring on the clear bowl.

James

K

I had a 4jh3-te on a Nordic Tug that I recently sold that had a manual fuel pump built into the top of the engine mounted secondary fuel filter. It looked like just a cover over the filter but was spring loaded so you could press/step on it to pump/ circulate fuel through the system. I always used this pump to pressurize the system after setting over winter but I also used it when troubleshooting a primary filter air leak similar to what you’re experiencing. I disconnected the return line to the fuel tanks so I could monitor when the return fuel changed from pink (with air bubbles) to clear fuel. My Yanmar was a 2002 so yours may not have this manual pump.

Thanks for the last two replies gents. As you can read in my last posting before this one (#33 above), the problem wasn't bleeding the system, but in stopping air that was leaking into the system from the previous owner's use of an incorrect primary filter element.

I had originally thought the problem was that I was could not bleed air at the injectors downstream of the secondary filter. I had at that time incorrectly concluded that because I had successfully bled out both the primary and secondary filters (as you both accurately described in your posts #34 and #35.

The problem was solved by my identifying and installing the correct filter element (the Racor R20P).

Back
Top Bottom