Nauta Flexible Diesel Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adelaide

Vessel Name
Adelaide
Vessel Make
1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
First off, I am new to Taiwan Trawlers.* My wife and I purchased a Tung Hwa 30' Clipper Trawler a few weeks ago and are in love with it.* We got an excellent deal on it, but the tanks are original.* Although I don't plan on doing anything right away, I always like to have a plan in place.

Has anyone had experience with these tanks (linked below)?* It seems that you could create an access hole in the existing (empty) steel tanks and slide this blatter in.* Could this be a less costly alternative to removing the tanks?* Mine are glassed in, and other than a very slight amount of sweating at one of the drain plugs, look good from the outside.* What do you think?

http://www.atlinc.com/marine.html

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=99578F&WT.mc_id=gb1

-- Edited by Adelaide on Friday 16th of September 2011 08:12:44 PM

I recently rejected a boat due to the surveyors findings. One of them was severely corroded fuel tanks. To replace the fuel tanks alone would run around 13-15K in the Houston, Tx. area if performed by a yard. For one thing, the engine would have to be completely removed and reinstalled in order to replace the fuel tanks.
Another option was to cut the fuel tank in place and remove it in small sections and replace with smaller tanks lined up in the old location. The other option was to cut the tanks 1/2 way down from the top and try to figure out a way to set flex tanks inside them.
This would work but it will devalue the boat when you try to sell it in the future.
I have never used flex tanks for diesel but have used them on my last 3 boats over a period of 13 years for waste tanks. I am very happy with them mainly because I fit them in places that a solid tank would not fit. So, this is definitely a good option knowing the above.

Adelaide wrote:
First off, I am new to Taiwan Trawlers.* My wife and I purchased a Tung Hwa 30' Clipper Trawler a few weeks ago and are in love with it.* We got an excellent deal on it, but the tanks are original.* Although I don't plan on doing anything right away, I always like to have a plan in place.

Has anyone had experience with these tanks (linked below)?* It seems that you could create an access hole in the existing (empty) steel tanks and slide this blatter in.* Could this be a less costly alternative to removing the tanks?* Mine are glassed in, and other than a very slight amount of sweating at one of the drain plugs, look good from the outside.* What do you think?

http://www.atlinc.com/marine.html

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=99578F&WT.mc_id=gb1

-- Edited by Adelaide on Friday 16th of September 2011 08:12:44 PM
*Don't know anything about the tanks, but a friend of mine has the same model of boat and loves it. We're having dinner tonight so I'll mention your question; he may have some thoughts. He keeps his in Sidney BC.

"at one of the drain plugs,"

You are BLESSED! too many boats have no drain plug.

Install a fuel grade valve when you can and drain off the water monthly.

Then IF you can keep deck leaks from rusting out the tank outside (think good paint!) , you will never need to replace the tanks.

The best work is work you never have to do!

Look after the tanks you have.
Putting bladders inside old tank structures is not allways a good option.
Do the tanks have inspection ports so that you can clean them out and do a visual on the condition.
If so lower the level or MT the tanks do the inspection , change any of the tank valves etc that require it and as FF sais ensure the outsides are well painted and
then keep the wter drained from the tanks and they will last you out.

AS to the Nautia bladder tanks, they work just fine.

On our 90/90 we have Nautia water tanks (6 at 35Gal each) and a set of identical diesel tanks, already in each compartment.

That way we can load almost 200+ gal of water for the Bahamas , or 70 extra gal of fuel for engine use when its found cheap, and still have 4 x 35 of water.

The rubber black water waste tanks are not as good as they eventually smell (a decade or so) and need to be replaced.

Cutting off the top of a tank and installing a custom made bladder would be first choice if the iron tank actually died .

I wanted to put bladders in my steel tanks. I have huge access ports and my thought was to go in a cut out the baffles and put the bladders in. My question is the connections. How does this work when using an existing tank? Do you cut out an area where the new connections are made to gain access and what about the fill? What holds the fill up to the rigid connection hose as the tank empties?

A simple method is to remobve most of the tank top, then remove and internal baffles.

The fuel fill /vent will be done with flexible fuel hoses from the top.

FF

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom