Old 07-13-2021, 09:11 PM   #1

City: Canberra
Vessel Name: Blu Emu
Vessel Model: Ligure 50' aluminium power catamaran
move to electronic controls - steering and engine

With a longish vessel (50'), and internal and flybridge helms, AND twin engines in separate hulls, there's quite a few cables going everywhere.

As we are redoing the electrical system, we are thinking of going to electrical controls for steering (currently hydraulic to twin rudder linkage) and engine controls (currently twin kobelt at each helm and and morse cables).

Can anyone give some experiences with the various options for steering and engine controls?
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:22 PM   #2

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Knot Hours
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58 LRC
I have the newer Mather engine controls. 4 stations (hem, bridge, and both wings) and love them. Never had a moments problems. Some older ones had problems. Mine are currently 10 yrs or so old. Love 'em.
Juliet 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:48 PM   #3
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet 15 View Post
I have the newer Mather engine controls. 4 stations (hem, bridge, and both wings) and love them. Never had a moments problems. Some older ones had problems. Mine are currently 10 yrs or so old. Love 'em.
I too have Mather single lever engine control, one station. I wanted cable control until I decided to get a DockMate. The tech was on and off the boat in a day. Now I can idle fwd or reverse and control the both thrusters remotely.

If you want total control you can go with something like "Yacht Controller" or others.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:49 PM   #4
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
In a 1993 commercial new-build, I was an early adopter of the Mather MicroCommanders (twin engines, single lever control for each). The occasional hiccups turned out to be the result of uneven / inadequate voltage to the controller. I lived with them, but I didn't like 'em.

That said, electronic controls are now approaching thirty years of use and abuse in the field. Manufacturers and installers have probably got it figured out, and the newer products seem to work reliably. I'd give 'em a try. They are certainly faster and cheaper to install than mechanical cables.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:35 PM   #5
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
Kobelt. 14,000 hrs on the engines and controls. Twins with 4 stations. Still working without problems.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:38 AM   #6

City: Poulsbo
Vessel Name: Water Music
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 49 classic
I have mather controls on twin cats 3208's work great which were upgrade to the latest version about 4 years ago from an older model which did not work so good. The new units have been flawless in operation.
DennisB1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:49 AM   #7

City: Canberra
Vessel Name: Blu Emu
Vessel Model: Ligure 50' aluminium power catamaran
Thanks everyone. I'll definitely have a look at Mather although it seems like they are engine control only, not wheel? I'll do some research...

I knew about Yacht Controller, but was put off by the prices I've seen. Maybe I shouldn't be

While the hydraulics and kobelt's are working ok, they are 22 years old and with the remake of the entire electrical system, I'm investigating the options...
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:05 AM   #8
FF
Guru

Electric, hydraulic , whatever , be sure to install and test the emergency controls and emergency steering , and how long it takes to switch to manual.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:29 AM   #9
Guru

The Nordhavn is famous for their emergency steering. They even include the 'arm' to steer. First you have to clear out most of the stuff you put in the aft lazaret so you can find the bypass valve then, take the cover of the lazaret door, lift the arm out, close the cover and lock in the rudder control arm.
After all that, you have to figure out a way to, at least, steer by compass which is located at the normal helm station. I do not know how much effect is required to manually move the rudder.
As you approach shore, secure the rudder and call Tow Boat.
Good luck with that. SMILE
Old 07-14-2021, 06:30 AM   #10
Guru

City: Vermont
I too have had good experience with Mathers, now ZF. Also Glendinning, and also Twin Disc. They are all excellent, but as you note, they are gear and throttle controls, not steering.

For the steering, I think there are two approaches you can take.

The most straight forward would be to install one or more Follow Up steering controls for your autopilot. I'm assuming you have, or will have an autopilot. That will give you a small steering control, and it will steer via your existing hydraulic system. I have had these on the past couple of boats and never touch the main steering wheel. It's there strictly as a back up. They also make for MUCH easier maneuvering since large rudder movements just require a small turn of a knob or lever, and rudder movement is limited only my your AP pump capacity.

If you want to go further, you could install a full power steering system. I know a couple of people who have a HyPro steering systems and love it. You still have a wheel, but it's finger light operation.
Old 07-14-2021, 06:54 AM   #11
Guru

If you do an internet search you can discover rudder control devices, some wired other wireless.
I had a wired rudder control on my 46 ft Nordhavn..... was nice on long trips outside the AICW when not on auto pilot. I could sit at seat at the table in the pilot house.
There was no room for a proper helmsmen chair. It did have a folding bench w/o a back. After about 2 minutes you realized how worthless and uncomfortable that was.
One caution when it comes to any sort of wireless controller, they can fail at the most critical. My brother pile his one year old Tiara into into a harbor concrete approach when his wireless system failed and that is another story.
Long story short, Tiara offered to rebuild the boat, he countered with 'build me a new boat.' They agreed.