Old 07-03-2020, 10:28 AM   #21
Guru

City: gulf coast
First check all battery connections. It is common to get good voltage readings while bad connections limit high starting current

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:12 PM   #22
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
First check all battery connections. It is common to get good voltage readings while bad connections limit high starting current
I was embarrassed by this once. Had a whole group on the boat. Hit the starter and click....nothing. My battery connections LOOKED good. But my neighbor(and good friend) came over with a brush and loosened each connection and brushed and cleaned them up. And then engine started just fine and never gave me trouble again.

Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:35 PM   #23
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I was embarrassed by this once. Had a whole group on the boat. Hit the starter and click....nothing. My battery connections LOOKED good. But my neighbor(and good friend) came over with a brush and loosened each connection and brushed and cleaned them up. And then engine started just fine and never gave me trouble again.
We may have a winner, third post to mention batteries or cables. Doug?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:08 PM   #24
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
We may have a winner, third post to mention batteries or cables. Doug?

Could very well be, I replaced my start battery back in the fall of '19. September or October. I won't be back down to the boat until early next week, I'll clean up the connections. My electrician said the battery connection "looked good," but I agree, it could be an issue. I've had that happen on other boats.

Now that I think about it, he also said my port motor didn't kick off once when he tried it, and both motors start from the same bank. I'm virtually 100% certain the battery is good, and paralleling the house bank with the start bank didn't fix the problem. That says bad connection to me.

On the other hand, my plan is to get a couple of relays, replace the starboard one, keep the other as a spare. Just to be safe.

Starter is very strong once it gets power, I don't think that is the issue. Electrician feels the same. Could be the solenoid though. So frustrating that it didn't do it when he was there.

As far as the trans trying to shift, that only happened because I was putting it in gear with the start switch activated.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:33 PM   #25
Guru

Got down to the boat last night. Started it 6 times this morning before I did anything to it, it fired right up.

Checked the battery connections and the connections on the battery switch, they look great, tight, no corrosion, clean and bright.

Decided to change out the relay anyway, so I bought one from Shearwater, $185, which is really high for a little relay (never change Yanmar), but their service is fantastic. They walked me through what to look for.

I was concerned because I expected the relay to be close to the starter and I couldn't see one there. Turns out it's not close, not close at all. The wiring harness runs from the solenoid around the back of the engine then midway up the stb side where the relay is mounted to a bracket. Of course, this is on my starboard engine, whose starter is on the port side, super easy to reach, so I was not happy that the relay is on the other side of the engine...a bear to reach. Would have taken me 20 minutes on the port side, took an hour or more on the stb.

New relay is in, and the motor starts very quickly. I'm hoping that the issue is now fixed. I bought a remote starter switch to make it easier to jump the solenoid if needed. Not sure what else I can do.

Thanks everyone for the help. Especially C-lectric. It appears your diagnosis was correct.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:28 PM   #26

City: Raleigh, NC
My Chris Craft w/Crusader engines had a similar issue on the port side only. 12.7v at the starter solenoid would drop to 3v when key to start position. After replacing both relays and the starter solenoid, I found the 12v fuse supplying the ignition switch was corroded. Cleaned it up and problem was gone.
eclavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:04 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Vero Beach
Vessel Name: Claret
Vessel Model: MS Pilot 34 Express Twin
Micro commander issue?

Check the plug connectors near the M/C computer box for corrosion and the solenoid, I experienced both issues on my Pilot 34, had the connector corrosion when we purchased the boat, the “big” mainship dealer was clueless, we did find a good marine mechanic who diagnosed the problem. Last year starboard engine would not start, the solenoid failed. The solenoids (pictured) were hidden on a bulkhead above my batteries. I replaced both and no further issues. Both engines start just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
39D4E83B-219C-473E-8FF4-230326B345D2.jpg  
Attached Images

Easternshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:17 AM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Stuart
Vessel Name: Passport
Vessel Model: Mainship Sedan Bridge
I have the same engines in my '97 mainship sedan bridge, and I've had to replace one solenoid twice. Yep, $185 is steep. If I was smarter, I could figure out how to use a $9.95 fomoco solenoid.
Dan
Passport
bykpjfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:10 PM   #29
db2
Veteran Member

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Wiggle Room
Vessel Model: Spendrift 58
Check the battery switch to the engine. They go bad, it happened to me and my CAT 3208. Put all the cables on one post and see if the starter cranks.
db2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:58 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Vero Beach
Vessel Name: Claret
Vessel Model: MS Pilot 34 Express Twin
I bought My solenoid at West Marine $29.95, starts great.
Easternshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:37 PM   #31

City: Erie, PA
Vessel Name: Alpha Juliet
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Details on relay location?

Hey Doug, I'm experiencing the same exact problem right now! I've done troubleshooting down to no voltage at the back of the solenoid when the starter button is pressed. Swapped batteries, tried up on flybridge, swapped spade wires on back of starter switch on dash to the other side, etc. Have power on the "start" blade in the switch, but once the yellow/red wire disappearance into the boondoggle behind the AC intake, it basically reappears in the harness near the engine. I *KNEW* there's a relay someone along the line tripping me up! This thread certainly confirms that! I'm also fighting my SB engine, but looking at the port side, is it a small square block directly under the throttle cable, on the same bracket as a can style oil pressure sensor? It's certainly an odd looking relay if that's it! I'd love to know what you found for part #'s, where you got it, etc. Thanks, Doug!!!

Brian
TrawlerAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:18 PM   #32
Guru

Hey Brian,

I sent you a PM. It sounds like you have the correct part.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:48 AM   #33

City: Flanders, NJ
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
Without hearing it, First check all connections and clean, then it can be either a dead spot on the starter or a solenoid about worn or needing cleaning. Just guessing if it is only to one motor.
TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:22 AM   #34

City: Erie, PA
Vessel Name: Alpha Juliet
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
My problem was exactly the same as Doug's. I got the part from Austal (sp?) in Miami, they seem to have a lot of Yanmar parts in stock. I think the relay was $158 plus a little bit for FedEx to get it quicker. Replaced it yesterday, wasn't fun, as it was on the outside of the starboard engine, so most of the work was done by feel, and with only one hand/arm. But engine starts now, so crisis averted! Thanks again to Doug, fellow boaters that tried to help him, TrawlerForum, and the internet! This thread saved me a great deal of time and aggravation!

TrawlerAJ is offline   Reply With Quote