Motor won't turn over, starter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Details on relay location?

Hey Doug, I'm experiencing the same exact problem right now! I've done troubleshooting down to no voltage at the back of the solenoid when the starter button is pressed. Swapped batteries, tried up on flybridge, swapped spade wires on back of starter switch on dash to the other side, etc. Have power on the "start" blade in the switch, but once the yellow/red wire disappearance into the boondoggle behind the AC intake, it basically reappears in the harness near the engine. I *KNEW* there's a relay someone along the line tripping me up! This thread certainly confirms that! I'm also fighting my SB engine, but looking at the port side, is it a small square block directly under the throttle cable, on the same bracket as a can style oil pressure sensor? It's certainly an odd looking relay if that's it! I'd love to know what you found for part #'s, where you got it, etc. Thanks, Doug!!!

Brian

Hey Brian,

I sent you a PM. It sounds like you have the correct part.

Without hearing it, First check all connections and clean, then it can be either a dead spot on the starter or a solenoid about worn or needing cleaning. Just guessing if it is only to one motor.

My problem was exactly the same as Doug's. I got the part from Austal (sp?) in Miami, they seem to have a lot of Yanmar parts in stock. I think the relay was $158 plus a little bit for FedEx to get it quicker. Replaced it yesterday, wasn't fun, as it was on the outside of the starboard engine, so most of the work was done by feel, and with only one hand/arm. But engine starts now, so crisis averted! Thanks again to Doug, fellow boaters that tried to help him, TrawlerForum, and the internet! This thread saved me a great deal of time and aggravation!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom