Old 01-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #41
Scraping Paint

City: -
Motor Mounts

Quote:
FF wrote:

Collecting big crud on the SURFACE of the filter does nothing to block the flow to the filter , its BIG CRUD!

*Right.* But this notion that big crud on the surface of a filter makes the filter more effective is a false economy, I think.* What it means is that the filter is doing its job.* If you depend on the filter surface collecting big crud to make the filter do its job properly, then it would seem you're using the wrong filter.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 26th of January 2012 01:12:05 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #42
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
RE: Motor Mounts

If you have a floscan you can't use a 2 micron filter.

*It will cause bubbles in the fuel flow giving bad readings.

*A 30 mocron in the racore is what is recomended.

The 2 micron at the engine filter is fine as the flow scan is installed before the motor filter.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #43
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

The 2 micron at the engine filter is fine as the flow scan is installed before the motor filter.

SD
* * * * Absolutely correct!
Attached Thumbnails
dscn1156.jpg  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:skipperdude wrote:

SD
* * * * Absolutely correct!

*And I caught flak for using a 30 micron on my Racor?
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #45
Guru

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:
******** When was this?
Old 01-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Motor Mounts

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:dwhatty wrote:
******** When was this?

In this thread. Bottom of page.*

-- Edited by dwhatty on Thursday 26th of January 2012 04:54:08 PM
Old 01-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #47
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

AAh but is that your only filter?

If so a 30 may not be small enough.

It will cause bubbles in the fuel flow giving bad readings As stated.

*I was refering to a boat with a floscan.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:
AAh but is that your only filter?

If so a 30 may not be small enough.

It will cause bubbles in the fuel flow giving bad readings As stated.

*I was refering to a boat with a floscan.

SD
Is that my only filter? No. I use the Cummins branded on-engine filter as well. Don't know the micron of it. Does that count?
Old 01-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #49
Guru

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:
Is that my only filter? No. I use the Cummins branded on-engine filter as well. Don't know the micron of it. Does that count?

* * * * I use the exact same set up and for the many thousands of hours I have put on my engine, It has never failed me. :cynic:
Old 01-27-2012, 01:28 AM   #50
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

Exactly the point I was making in some ways earlier in the thread. The bad thing about using 2 microns all round is then only the primary filter is actually doing anything, and will pick up all the crud, and block up earlier, while the secondary filters are not really doing anything much. The whole idea of having 30microns on the primary is that it takes out anything above that, yes, and even some smaller stuff as it ages, thus only smaller particles get through and are caught by the secondary filters, of which I have two on the Lehman 120. This progressive increase of filter efficiency is the secret to the whole deal, and makes each filter justify their existence, and give their maximum life at the same time. If you use 2 microns throughout, you could at least save the changing of the secondaries to a much longer engine run time, and change just the primary regularly, because it is doing all the work.
So David (dwhatty) was right, and Walt agrees, so that's not bad consensus.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:54 AM   #51
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40

This is all a far cry from motor mounts..but what the heck.

There is no right answer to fiters.* All they re designed for (singles or systems) is to keep crap out of the engine.* As long as you have a small enough media between the tank and the necessary parts...then thats all that's important.

In all my years of recreational and professional boating...I've only had a few engines quit because of filters.* On diesels... the one or two times...it wouldn't have mattered how great of a filter system you had...the first filter setup would have plugged quickly and needed to be changed in a short amount of time.

The only thing that would have changed that is... a filter vacuum warning system (and all that might have done is have me change the filters 10 miles closer to land that without the vacuum guage).

So the bottom line is clean fuel and clean tanks...on a rec boat you should be able to see or pull a sample of fuel at the bottom of your tank regularly or you are rolling the dice.* I like sight guages for that very reason.

With very*clean fuel, you can run hundreds if not a thousand hours on a single 2 micron filter and your engine doesn't give a hoot how fancy your filtration setup "might" be.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #52
FF
Guru

That may be true for a suction fuel system , but we ran over 10,000 miles with a pair of 1000series Raycore and the 2 micron.

The difference is our filters are gravity fed .

It might be also that our 6-71 flows a huge volume of fuel , rather than the minor fuel pumped by Bosch style pumps.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #53
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Peter B wrote:
Exactly the point I was making in some ways earlier in the thread. The bad thing about using 2 microns all round is then only the primary filter is actually doing anything, and will pick up all the crud, and block up earlier, while the secondary filters are not really doing anything much.
*I thought the only reason to have filters at all is to keep crud from reaching the injector pump and injectors, period.* Seems to me the earlier the crud gets caught, the better.* If the primary filter gets everything, I say terrific.* The other filters are just along for the ride and to catch anything the primary might miss.

But my obvjective is to stop everything right off the bat.

Now if a person has dirty tanks, or the fuel in the local region has a reputation for being contaminated, then I can see the logic of using progressively finer filters simply to avoid having to change the first one all the time.* But that's a situation designed to fix a flaw in the boat's (or the fuel dealer's) fuel system.

But we have (or had when we got the boat) brand new tanks, a brand new fuel system, and the fuel dealers in this area don't seem to have any issues with fuel contamination.* So we're not trying to fix a contamination problem with our filters, we're just trying to make sure nothing gets to the injector pump that should't get there.*

Based on our experience so far, a single 2-micron filter would be all we'd need if we were willing to live without a backup, which we aren't.* The Racor element is never dirty, there is never any water in the bowl, the vaccuum gauge on each egine's fuel system has never read anything other than zero except in tests to make sure they're working, and this over the last 13 years.* I'm sure there is crud that I can't see on the filter element, but what's there is is not apparent.

So unless there is a contamination problem with* the fuel, in which case I would think the proper cure would be to eliminate the reason for the contamination, I see no value in having a progressive set of filters.* Get it all as far away from the pump and injectors as practical and have a filter or two between the primary and pump as a backup is the way I look at it.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #54
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

So how many micron motor mounts do most of you use? I have found there to be no correlation between motor mounts and fuel filters, oil filters or cigarette filters.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #55
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

Touche´Carey. We have wandered off thread a bit here...as usual...but sometimes it leads to interesting places...
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #56
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

I had to go back six pages just to see what I missed!!* How did you guys get so far off the topic?

Skipperdude:

That is the most unusual motormount system I have ever seen.* From the pictures, I'm assuming it bolts all the way through the stringers?* Like you say, they've worked sucessfully for a long time and the metal certainly looks beefy enough to support a 3208.

Thanks for sharing

Larry B

Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:59 AM   #57
FF
Guru

"I would think the proper cure would be to eliminate the reason for the contamination,"

The most common reason for contamination is a cheap box for fuel, instead of a proper , easy to service fuel tank.

The first purchaser didn't know to demand it , and you are stuck.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:20 AM   #58
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat

I would prefer if we used 1 micron double filters on the raw Virginian tobacco , 5 micron on the hill side stuff from North Queensland.
But bugger just a dunny roll on the main engine fuel would be good.
I will in future just buy my fuel from someone who has processed the fuel himself, loaded it in clean s/s tanks and taste tested before it came on board my boat.
Cheers
Hunter Valley wines are still some of the best
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote