Old 02-10-2018, 11:37 AM   #1
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Sea Bear
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Most Valuable Temp Sensors

I’m installing a Maretron TMP100 in the engine room and have a number of inputs it will take. Would love thoughts on the most valuable things to track, so far I’m thinking:
1. 6068 EGT
2. Stuffing Box Temp (would this actually be useful?)
3. Engineroom Air Temp
4. Northern Lights Genset EGT

What am I missing? I know things like stuffing box would be limited value at a single point and time but graphing over time is what I’m thinking.
Arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:44 PM   #2
Guru

City: Vermont
Single plus wing, or twins? Or just single?

Keep in mind that the TMP100 has 6 channels, but 4 are for typeK thermistors and 2 are for thermocouples like EGT. They support very different temp ranges, and are incompatible with each other.

I would do EGT on the main(s) and wing. Would not bother with the generator. It has a high exhaust temp shut down already, and I'm pretty sure no port for an EGT probe.

Then I would do ER temp, and shaft seal. I have also instrumented hydraulic fluid temp, and laz temp. You might consider other areas that would be a good early warning of freeze risk for water lines etc.

Oh, another good one would be your alternator case temp. On that you probably will need to get a thermocouple and use one of those ports. The thermistors are only rated up to about 176F, and an alternator case can easily run over that, especially if you instrument the stator which gets the hottest.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Oh, another good one would be your alternator case temp. On that you probably will need to get a thermocouple and use one of those ports. The thermistors are only rated up to about 176F, and an alternator case can easily run over that, especially if you instrument the stator which gets the hottest.
I guess you could characterize the associated temperature of an adjacent bracket or something that would have a direct correlation to the alt temp in a lower range - just looking for an increase from "normal", right?
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #4
Guru

Thanks TwistedTree, I don’t have a wing so could use the second thermocouple for the Alternator. I only ordered one EGT probe so far so no loss there.
Hydraulic fluid is a great idea, I have two, one for stabilizers and one for bow thruster.
Arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:28 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I'm looking at adding the same unit. My list included:

EGT
Engineroom temp
Transmission oil temp
House battery alternator temp
Maybe engine oil temp
Maybe raw water temp after heat exchanger before exhaust elbow

Still waying options. The last one seems like a great tool for monitoring raw water floe / problems. Would expect to see a temperature rise for bad impeller, partially plugged heat exchanger, gear cooler, strainer, or through hull.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:49 PM   #6
Guru

I like the idea of raw water temp but I’m not sure it will show anything interesting, if water stops flowing I guess it depends how close to the engine it is if it heats up.
I got engine and trans temp for free with the new engine, oil temp was standard, transmission was added to the j1939 setup (which I then convert to n2k)