Old 12-04-2021, 09:41 PM   #1

City: WA
Modified Cutwater question

Hi,
I am considering looking at a Cutwater 24. It seems that the Cutwater 28 models normally are powered with the 260 hp Volvo diesel inboard. And normally the Cutwater 24 models have a gas outboard. However I found a Cutwater 24 with a 220 hp Volvo inboard diesel. The broker says that the previous owner had this special built.
My question is this: if I get this boat do you think I run a risk of having issues since this particular engine was not "normally" used with the 24? All the 24s I have seen have a gas outboard. I like the boat but am just a bit cautious since this boat was a special order. To me it is like if I was buying a Toyota Corrolla and had a factory install of a Cummins Diesel in the frame of the car....i.e. it would cause the vehicle to handle in a different manner and possibly cause interference with other componets in the vehicle. Is this a fair analogy?

Thanks!
Stardogchampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:52 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I would get the model of the engine and transmission to see how common they are in other boats. If they're common, I would be less concerned.

I would be more concerned about drivetrain weight. I'm guessing that weight is hugely more than a 250 HP outboard. That boat might not have the performance compared to the outboard. A 24' boat is small to have a lot of excess weight in.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Jackson NJ
Vessel Name: Venture
Vessel Model: Cutwater 28
Cutwater (Fluid Motion) normally provides a five year warranty with their boats. I think it is transferable. I would drop a line to the Fluid Motion management and determine if the boat is covered by the factory. You should be able to find contact information at the TugNuts web site.
Martin610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:14 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I would take the outboard version any day over the Volvo. Personally I will not own a Volvo, been there done that. Search the site for opinions on them.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:35 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I would take the outboard version any day over the Volvo. Personally I will not own a Volvo, ben there done that. Search the site for opinions on them.
Dave, Dave, Dave

OP:
If the engine was a factory installation, as is stated, The manufacturer has to have made allowances for its characteristics. The loading of a lightweight boat such as Cutwater, is of primary importance to that builder, as they want every boat to perform well, to achieve its cruising speed with the installed power, and to encourage the public to buy more of their boats.

There will be a spec sheet on the boat that will give you the basics, lie weight, cruising speed, speed at WOT, etc. You should also call the manufacturer and ask them for spec sheets on the outboard powered 24s, so that you can do a proper comparison.

Speaking personally, I would buy a diesel powered Cutwater of any size, ahead of the outboard powered boat of the same size.
The diesels put into locally made (Washington State in this case?) boats are all of exceptional quality and will serve you well.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:43 PM   #6
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardogchampion View Post
Hi,
To me it is like if I was buying a Toyota Corrolla and had a factory install of a Cummins Diesel in the frame of the car....i.e. it would cause the vehicle to handle in a different manner and possibly cause interference with other componets in the vehicle. Is this a fair analogy?

Thanks!
Just thinking about your analogy.
Today I was walking along the road by the beach and was passed by an Alpine Tiger. There is your Toyota with a Cummins.
A ford V8 (265 cuin) shoehorned into an ER designed for a 1500cc 4 banger. Yes, it handled differenty, Very differently. But it was done by Carrol Shelby, so what was not to like.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:26 PM   #7

Really appreciate the input. I will contact the manufacturer and I also like the idea of getting a spec sheet on the outboard 24 for comparison.
Regarding the Volvo diesel, what was the particular issue(s) you had?
Thanks
Old 12-04-2021, 11:44 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
The issue I had with Volvos was parts and support. This is a common complaint about Volvo, not just mine. You will find lots of people that are very happy with Volvo, but Volvo has a problem supporting their product. Sometimes months waiting for parts, to say nothing of the cost of the parts when you get them. Search the forum and see what others think of Volvo support.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 12:42 AM   #9
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Just thinking about your analogy.
Today I was walking along the road by the beach and was passed by an Alpine Tiger. There is your Toyota with a Cummins.
A ford V8 (265 cuin) shoehorned into an ER designed for a 1500cc 4 banger. Yes, it handled differenty, Very differently. But it was done by Carrol Shelby, so what was not to like.
I bought a Sunbeam Tiger new in 1967. It performed beautifully, known as the poor man's Cobra. They are still club racing those cars today.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:23 AM   #10

Thanks for the info Comodave. I do see that you are not alone in your feelings regarding the Volvo.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:39 AM   #11
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Consider running the Volvo until it is too expensive to maintain then find a rebuilt or naturally aspirated engine and re-power it.
My N46 had a John Deere with about 120 hp. It moved along at 8 knots.
260 hp in a 26 or 28 ft boat ... "ramming speed".
Per outboards, in general, these days, they are VERY quiet.
Per gasoline driven, IM feeble opinion, just not for me.
Outboards are easer to replace.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Jackson NJ
Vessel Name: Venture
Vessel Model: Cutwater 28
I have the D4-260. It's been reliable. On the occasion when I did need a part there was no issue getting it.
Martin610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:36 AM   #13

City: Hampton Beach, NH
Vessel Name: Mischief Managed II
Vessel Model: 1992 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
The issue I had with Volvos was parts and support. This is a common complaint about Volvo, not just mine. You will find lots of people that are very happy with Volvo, but Volvo has a problem supporting their product. Sometimes months waiting for parts, to say nothing of the cost of the parts when you get them. Search the forum and see what others think of Volvo support.

A friend of mine has a heavily-used recreational fishing boat that is powered by twin VP inboard diesels. He ended up buying a complete pair of used engines to keep on hand for spare parts due to the typical slow delivery of new parts. When he needs a part, he orders a new one and uses the part from one of his spare engines until the new part arrives, often months later. FWIW, he loves the engines, just hates the spare parts cost and support.
Mischief Managed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 11:42 AM   #14
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
I bought a Sunbeam Tiger new in 1967. It performed beautifully, known as the poor man's Cobra. They are still club racing those cars today.
Tom
Another area where we can have an in depth conversation. I had a Sunbeam Rapier convertible (nowhere near new) in 1967. I know, no comparison, but it got me some knowledge of the Tiger at the time.
How is your new car search coming?
Old 12-10-2021, 12:54 PM   #15
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Tom
Another area where we can have an in depth conversation. I had a Sunbeam Rapier convertible (nowhere near new) in 1967. I know, no comparison, but it got me some knowledge of the Tiger at the time.
How is your new car search coming?
Chip shortages make for a tough search. So I'm taking a time out for awhile. Fortunately, nearby friends have very exotic stuff I can use whenever the lust gets too high.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 01:17 PM   #16
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Chip shortage, chip shortage,
Here is your bag of chip so shhhhh
Old 12-10-2021, 01:27 PM   #17

City: West Vancouver
Vessel Name: Treasure Hunt
Vessel Model: Marine Trader LaBelle 44
We just refurbished the water, oil and turbo coolers on one of our 1985 Volvo-Penta TAMD 4D 165hp diesels in our new to us trawler. No trouble getting parts, seems like good support for Volvoís in the Vancouver BC area.
Coppercove1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 03:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Murrells Inlet, SC
Vessel Name: Noah Genda
Vessel Model: DeFever 50 CPMY
I had a C-28 with the Volvo diesel. No issues with the performance of the engine but it was a B#$%* to work on due to the tight space. I can only imagine how tight the space around the engine is on that C24. The outboard would be much easier to access.

I would be concerned with the performance of the boat since it was designed for a heavy outboard on the stern. Moving that weight forward could make for significant changes in handling properties, i.e. getting up on plane. Be sure to ask the factory folks about that.

Finally I would compare it to the stock C24 it terms of the storage space sacrificed for the inboard.

Just my two cents.
Old 12-13-2021, 04:55 PM   #19
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
..was passed by an Alpine Tiger. There is your Toyota with a Cummins.

A very shaky analogy. I speak from experience; having owned a Sunbeam (not Alpine) Tiger with the 260" (not 265) Ford. As you noted, it drove like an ox-cart, with an extra 300# resting squarely on the front axle. Maint. was a nightmare; four back sparkplugs were in the cockpit! and many procedures required removal of the engine.

Having said that, I adored the thing, mostly for the ego-stoking double-takes it generated at the stop sign, and will buy another with my Powerball winnings.

But probably doesn't prove your point about the Cutwater 24'.
AlaskaProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 05:19 PM   #20
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
P.S.:
Carrol Shelby employed full-time mechanics.
AlaskaProf is online now   Reply With Quote