Old 05-12-2018, 08:28 PM   #1
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Sea Bear
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Naiad Stabilizers Overheating

Hi,
Today my Naiads gave me a temp light after only about 2 hours I’m very light seas. I checked on the actual unit and the temp was high about 170 I would guess (it’s a manual thermometer). Do these systems have an intercooler or any other thing that could explain what’s happening?

Thanks
AC
Arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:41 PM   #2

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Beluga
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46eu 2006 hull#289
Hi AC,
My 252 Naiads have a raw water heat exchanger and a sacrificial anode. The raw water comes off the starboard engine loop. If mine overheated, that is the first place I would look.
Hope this helps.
Hamish.
BrisHamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:12 PM   #3
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
AC
Has the heat exchanger specific for the stabilizers been recently serviced? Meaning removed, inspected and dropped in a bucket with recommended cleaner?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:18 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
AC
Check the cooling circuit at the hydraulic fluid reservoir. Mine has an electric pump to circulate seawater from its own intake, with filter, and a valve to adjust water flow rate to achieve amount of cooling required. If yours is similar you might just have a blocked filter that needs cleaning.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:23 PM   #5
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Sea Bear
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Thanks all, super helpful, this is one system I have yet to learn but sounds like I’ll be doing that tomorrow
No idea on last service unfortunately.
Arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:32 AM   #6
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Mine has a very simple raw-water take-off from the engine's raw water pump...and discharges back to a nipple added to the engine's raw water discharge just before the wet elbow: so no separate Hx or raw water inlet or anodes. Never had an overheat....but a hydraulic hose blew off shortly after I purchased which made a hell of a mess! I agree with others, most likely a blockage in the raw water cooling circuit.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:37 AM   #7
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Naiad has an extremely detailed manual, very handy to have on board. They were very helpful customer service/advice wise, at least 5 years ago.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:42 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
Mine has a very simple raw-water take-off from the engine's raw water pump...and discharges back to a nipple added to the engine's raw water discharge just before the wet elbow: so no separate Hx or raw water inlet or anodes. Never had an overheat....but a hydraulic hose blew off shortly after I purchased which made a hell of a mess! I agree with others, most likely a blockage in the raw water cooling circuit.
Without a heat exchanger for hydraulic oil and raw water how does the hydraulic oil get cooled?
Old 05-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #9
Grand Vizier

Hard to offer advice without knowing the system design, but it seems clearly to be overheating of the hydraulic fluid. That could be due to a closed through hull, a bad impellor in a circ pump, an electrical issue in turning on a circ pump (if electrical like mine), blockage in an exchanger, faulty temp sensor, low oil level, and probably a few others....
Old 05-13-2018, 03:02 PM   #10
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Without a heat exchanger for hydraulic oil and raw water how does the hydraulic oil get cooled?
All 252's have an internal HX within their oil reservoirs. Some need a separate external HX for example when the run length of raw water hose would otherwise be inconveniently long or when other hydraulic devices eg bow thruster are on the same circuit. These external HX units are typically the same as are used for transmission oil cooling.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #11
Guru

Whether internal or external, it would seem the heat exchangers need the same maintenance treatment - de scaling, pressure testing and inspection.