Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-10-2019, 12:53 PM   #141
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archhibb View Post
Also, there’s next to no way the water could seep past the rings unless they wrere terribly worn. I think you should be looking for another cause for the water in oil.
Not quite accurate. Water sitting on top of a moving (during an unsuccessful start) and even sitting piston will indeed follow the laws of gravity and migrate to oil. I've seen it directly several times.
__________________
Advertisement

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:55 PM   #142
TF Site Team
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilson View Post
Yes, I recall seeing the water/exhaust port somewhere; I believe it was aft on one of the sides. That's good to know since the mains exhaust with flaps below the water line on the transom. I'll just have to make sure all water is removed and new oil and filter added until an oil test reports water-free. It'll obviously be more trouble since my boat is inside heated storage. But it will have to be done. All I need is the marina's cooperation .... and a power cable along with long hoses for water and exhaust gas. Thanks for all your help, my friend.
Ross
I'll bet yours is similar to my '08 34HT...
Gen muffler is on Port side of gen w access aft of the gen. Gen Exhaust port is on port side 2-3 ft fwd of the stern.
__________________

__________________
Don
2008 MS 34 HT Trawler
"Bacchus"
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:34 PM   #143
Guru
 
Lou_tribal's Avatar
 
City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilson View Post
Thanks, Lou. Maybe I've presumed incorrectly that, since my boat is in heated storage, there's no urgency, that there's no deed to rush up there today to change the oil again. I intend to go this month. I guess the longer any water remains in the oil, the greater the potential for corrosion to engine parts?
Sorry I missed the heated storage and was thinking about snow outside

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #144
Guru
 
City: Melbourne, FL
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,690
I don't know if you've ever seen it, but a railroad track gets shiny after a train passes, but will have a nice new bloom of rust the next morning after a night of dew on the surface.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #145
Member
 
City: Greenwich
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 6
8 kw kohler wayer

Water could be coming in from salt water pump
changingtides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #146
Member
 
City: Greenwich
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilson View Post
Hello Everyone:
When the marina mechanic was changing the oil and filter on my diesel generator recently, he found that the oil was the colour of cafe au lait, that is to say, coffee with cream.


He offered no immediate opinion as to the cause, but advised an oil test. I agreed and he continued with the service. A couple of weeks later, after the boat had been hauled and stored in a heated building for the winter, I received a message from the service manager stating that the milkiness was the result of water in the oil. (BTW - my boat is a fresh-water vessel.)



He suggested that the water probably entered as a result of cranking the genny without starting it. I had been having difficulty starting it a month or so earlier due to a weak battery and never got it started before hauling. He recommended that I start the generator after launch next spring and let it run for an hour or so, and that should resolve the water issue.



Now after another month, I'm wondering if that was good advice. It seems to me that changing the oil once probably won't remove all traces of the water. And leaving it in the genny all winter couldn't be good for the engine. If this is true, what should I do? Any other options? Should I change the oil and filter again before running it in the spring? Should I insist that the oil be changed again now even though the boat is on-the-hard? Thanks.
Water could be coming in from raw water pump look at pump bearings and seals
changingtides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #147
Guru
 
Bryant's Avatar
 
City: Fleming Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 543
milky oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilson View Post
Hello Everyone:
When the marina mechanic was changing the oil and filter on my diesel generator recently, he found that the oil was the colour of cafe au lait, that is to say, coffee with cream.


He offered no immediate opinion as to the cause, but advised an oil test. I agreed and he continued with the service. A couple of weeks later, after the boat had been hauled and stored in a heated building for the winter, I received a message from the service manager stating that the milkiness was the result of water in the oil. (BTW - my boat is a fresh-water vessel.)



He suggested that the water probably entered as a result of cranking the genny without starting it. I had been having difficulty starting it a month or so earlier due to a weak battery and never got it started before hauling. He recommended that I start the generator after launch next spring and let it run for an hour or so, and that should resolve the water issue.



Now after another month, I'm wondering if that was good advice. It seems to me that changing the oil once probably won't remove all traces of the water. And leaving it in the genny all winter couldn't be good for the engine. If this is true, what should I do? Any other options? Should I change the oil and filter again before running it in the spring? Should I insist that the oil be changed again now even though the boat is on-the-hard? Thanks.

You have a blown head gasket. You need a new mechanic if he didn't know that.
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:38 PM   #148
Veteran Member
 
City: Port Saint Lucie
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant View Post
You have a blown head gasket. You need a new mechanic if he didn't know that.
I'm not sure I would jump to that conclusion. But it's the very first place I would look.
Les_Garten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:43 PM   #149
Guru
 
Lou_tribal's Avatar
 
City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,279
From what the OP said, the oil contamination is water not coolant.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:25 PM   #150
Guru
 
Soo-Valley's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
From what the OP said, the oil contamination is water not coolant.
But coolant goes through the head gasket, usually. Water goes through the heat exchanger to cool the coolant.
Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:45 PM   #151
Guru
 
City: Clearwater, Florida USA
Vessel Name: Seas the Bay
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Hardin Europa
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,479
But, coolant is 100% miscible -- it mixes with water and stays that way, at least in liquid form. So, in a hypothetical, where water and the coolant mixed in the heat exchanger, they would stay mixed in the cooling system and in the coolant as it leaked via the head gasket into the oil.

So, unless we believe the coolant has remarkably little glycol in it -- we can rule out a head gasket.

If it were me, I'd test that theory with a $5 hydrometer or a $15 refractometer. But, anyone seen a boat with only water in the cooling system (except during installation/service for testing)?
gkesden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:07 PM   #152
Veteran Member
 
City: Port Saint Lucie
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkesden View Post
But, coolant is 100% miscible -- it mixes with water and stays that way, at least in liquid form. So, in a hypothetical, where water and the coolant mixed in the heat exchanger, they would stay mixed in the cooling system and in the coolant as it leaked via the head gasket into the oil.

So, unless we believe the coolant has remarkably little glycol in it -- we can rule out a head gasket.

If it were me, I'd test that theory with a $5 hydrometer or a $15 refractometer. But, anyone seen a boat with only water in the cooling system (except during installation/service for testing)?
That's if you believe the test was valid...
Les_Garten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:35 PM   #153
Guru
 
City: Clearwater, Florida USA
Vessel Name: Seas the Bay
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Hardin Europa
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Garten View Post
That's if you believe the test was valid...
All I gots is what I was tolds.
gkesden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:52 AM   #154
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 23,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant View Post
You have a blown head gasket. You need a new mechanic if he didn't know that.
That's one possibility for coolant in the oil...not water without other contaminant as others are pointing out..
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:58 AM   #155
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 7,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
That's one possibility for coolant in the oil...not water without other contaminant as others are pointing out..
MAYBE, MAYBE, put a radiator pressure tester on the engine, pump it up to about 10 pounds, give it a couple hours or longer to see if it is losing pressure. That MIGHT narrow it down a bit.
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:31 PM   #156
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 20,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilson View Post
Thanks, James. That practice sounds, well, sound. In theory, though, stowing my boat in a heated building for the winter should alleviate me of the need to fully winterize my engines. I'm told that all I have to treat is the septic and fresh water systems, that is empty and shock them. Is this not your view too?
And what happens when the power goes out for three days?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:27 PM   #157
Guru
 
City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
That's one possibility for coolant in the oil...not water without other contaminant as others are pointing out..
Others are assuming the cooling system contained antifreeze. Wouldn't be the first time someone has run straight water in a cooling system. Freeze plugs were invented for a good reason.

Back in the day of flat head 8's we flushed our system regularly. Added a gallon of antifreeze in the late fall and went down to the local gas station to borrow their hydrometer. Replacing hoses was very common. Freeze plugs if you were very lucky.

Lack of glycol is not determinative to me.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:58 PM   #158
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 7,623
Freeze plugs were "invented" to get the sand out of block casting but, they can have, as you stated, a secondary purpose.
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:22 PM   #159
Guru
 
Soo-Valley's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 2,547
Hey Ross I did you have antifreeze or not. We need to know.
__________________

Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
milky oil

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×