Milky Oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But, coolant is 100% miscible -- it mixes with water and stays that way, at least in liquid form. So, in a hypothetical, where water and the coolant mixed in the heat exchanger, they would stay mixed in the cooling system and in the coolant as it leaked via the head gasket into the oil.

So, unless we believe the coolant has remarkably little glycol in it -- we can rule out a head gasket.

If it were me, I'd test that theory with a $5 hydrometer or a $15 refractometer. But, anyone seen a boat with only water in the cooling system (except during installation/service for testing)?

But, coolant is 100% miscible -- it mixes with water and stays that way, at least in liquid form. So, in a hypothetical, where water and the coolant mixed in the heat exchanger, they would stay mixed in the cooling system and in the coolant as it leaked via the head gasket into the oil.

So, unless we believe the coolant has remarkably little glycol in it -- we can rule out a head gasket.

If it were me, I'd test that theory with a $5 hydrometer or a $15 refractometer. But, anyone seen a boat with only water in the cooling system (except during installation/service for testing)?

That's if you believe the test was valid...

You have a blown head gasket. You need a new mechanic if he didn't know that.
That's one possibility for coolant in the oil...not water without other contaminant as others are pointing out..

That's one possibility for coolant in the oil...not water without other contaminant as others are pointing out..

MAYBE, MAYBE, put a radiator pressure tester on the engine, pump it up to about 10 pounds, give it a couple hours or longer to see if it is losing pressure. That MIGHT narrow it down a bit.

Thanks, James. That practice sounds, well, sound. In theory, though, stowing my boat in a heated building for the winter should alleviate me of the need to fully winterize my engines. I'm told that all I have to treat is the septic and fresh water systems, that is empty and shock them. Is this not your view too?

And what happens when the power goes out for three days?

Others are assuming the cooling system contained antifreeze. Wouldn't be the first time someone has run straight water in a cooling system. Freeze plugs were invented for a good reason.

Back in the day of flat head 8's we flushed our system regularly. Added a gallon of antifreeze in the late fall and went down to the local gas station to borrow their hydrometer. Replacing hoses was very common. Freeze plugs if you were very lucky.

Lack of glycol is not determinative to me.

Freeze plugs were "invented" to get the sand out of block casting but, they can have, as you stated, a secondary purpose.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom