Old 02-12-2021, 10:46 AM   #1
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
Mercury's new 7.6L V12 600hp Verado

This is an interesting from Mercury Marine, announcing their new 7.6L V12 600hp Verado outboard. This new engine has a steerable gearcase and automatic two-speed transmission.

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:14 AM   #2
Guru

City: Boston Area
That's impressive.....but $77,000.00 ????

It seems that it was always the horsepower that limited how big an outboard powered boat could be. I wonder how big you can go before the weight becomes the limiting factor. In those Haulover videos you see 50 foot boats with four, 400 HP engines on the back..... I wonder if this engine will bring outboard power to the 60-70 foot boat range.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:15 AM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. JLD. Good grief!!! I can hardly wait for the "small appendage" crowd to buy these. This boater will be able to eliminate 2 motors OR swap all 6 out....

Old 02-12-2021, 11:58 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Seven has been making 600+ hp outboards for years now. Some boats had 4 or 5 of them on the transom. They ran between $70K to about $100 K per engine. But I think Volvo bought Seven so probably parts will become unavailable...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:18 PM   #5
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
I will be interesting to see if Mercury’s entry into the 600hp segment will expand the market. I read that 7even went out of business once they met market demand and sales dropped off. If they can replace quads with twins efficiency will increase as drag drops, but I agree that there will be triple and quad installations of these v-12’s too.

Technically they are interesting in that they use a pivoting lower unit to steer like a pod drive. With internal powered steer by wire and a fixed powerhead rigging should be simplified. As for the V-12, I wonder if the block is automotive derived or a Mercury designed unit?
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:34 PM   #6
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Merc designed the engine in house. Based roughly on the v6 and v8 they have been making for a few years. Bore and or stroke a little bigger. 7.6liter where if they used same b&s it would be 6.8.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:32 PM   #7
Guru

The fixed powerhead with a rotating lower unit concept could be the gateway to diesel outboards. A lower unit that can live with 600 smooth 12 cylinder hp should be able to handle 400 diesel hp and the associated high torque. We could see long range diesel center consoles with single outboards in a few years building on this concept or even this lower unit.
It could also have an impact on boat design: if the outboards don’t have to rotate, just tilt, that may affect how the aft of the boat is styled, especially if you only need one engine to get 600hp.
I wonder how one of these would compare to a pair of 350’s as far as weight? And if the reduced drag from the single lower unit would make up for the 100hp deficit, in the real world! If it does, there are a lot of boats out there with twin 350’s that could be re-power candidates. BTW a pair of 350 Yamahas list for almost $70k, it’s not too much of a jump to $77k for one of these.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:08 PM   #8
Guru

City: Boston Area
The 2 speed transmission is kind of interesting too. I imagine that could find it's way into the smaller outboards. I would think you could put a smaller engine on a boat if it had more than one gear
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:56 AM   #9
Guru

City: Hampton Beach, NH
Vessel Name: Mischief Managed II
Vessel Model: 1992 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
The 2 speed transmission is kind of interesting too. I imagine that could find it's way into the smaller outboards. I would think you could put a smaller engine on a boat if it had more than one gear

I have wondered for years why they never fitted a simple planetary gear set and a band clutch to an outboard, between the power head and the vertical drive shaft, to make it a two speed. It would only require making the outboard a little taller, and that's the one dimension that outboards have always had room to grow.

Interestingly, Mercruiser actually offered a two speed option on some stern drive applications in the mid 90s, if memory serves. I don't think the sold many. I believe the mechanical parts were derived from a GM Powerglide.
Mischief Managed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:11 AM   #10
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
600 hp X 6 for 3600 hp! Would need fuel lines the size of garden hoses for each engine. Lets say 60 GPH (1 GPM) for simplicity sake times 6. For comparison, an open ended garden hose at normal water pressure is about 5 GPM. First world problems.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:07 AM   #11
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
This is some impressive innovation for an outboard, certainly. But the engine still has sea water for cooling, that steered lower unit and the transmission have to live while dunked or misted with sea water. Corrosion issues anyone???

Always considered OB's to be sort of "disposable". Most live a solid 10yr in salt, some make it 15yr, occasionally you get one that makes 20yr. But if you have one at 10yr and it needs work, often the bolts break off or you find gasket sealing surface rotted. Time for the motor pile!!

Different market, I suppose. Someone willing to plunk down that cash for something disposable, probably does not care that much about how long it lasts.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:12 PM   #12
Guru

At $77k it would only cost $7,700 a year over 10 years, or just over $15k a year for 1200hp. What does it cost to keep 1200hp of MAN or MTU for 10 years?
Old 02-17-2021, 06:18 AM   #13
FF
Guru

"What does it cost to keep 1200hp of MAN or MTU for 10 years?"

Probably more important to the OB folks is what is the weight and can it be changed out in an afternoon?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:56 AM   #14
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
The cowl hood is also an interesting feature as it makes it easier to do some services while the boat is still in the water:

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:32 AM   #15
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
This is some impressive innovation for an outboard, certainly. But the engine still has sea water for cooling, that steered lower unit and the transmission have to live while dunked or misted with sea water. Corrosion issues anyone???

Always considered OB's to be sort of "disposable". Most live a solid 10yr in salt, some make it 15yr, occasionally you get one that makes 20yr. But if you have one at 10yr and it needs work, often the bolts break off or you find gasket sealing surface rotted. Time for the motor pile!!

Different market, I suppose. Someone willing to plunk down that cash for something disposable, probably does not care that much about how long it lasts.
As with many large OBs I've seen, wouldn't these have a quick connect fresh water flush system? Would the drive system be able to be tilted out of the water?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:37 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
As with many large OBs I've seen, wouldn't these have a quick connect fresh water flush system? Would the drive system be able to be tilted out of the water?
Yes and yes.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:20 AM   #17
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
It seems Mercury has it’s mindset right where it was when they launched the first 6cyl OB. 1960 what?

At least then the tower of power was easy to look at then.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:53 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
It seems Mercury has it’s mindset right where it was when they launched the first 6cyl OB. 1960 what?

At least then the tower of power was easy to look at then.
You don’t like the looks of the new motors? I think the angles and masses of the cowl exudes solidity and power. It has a real hewn from billet look. The old chrome plated cowls of the straight six have not aged well IMHO and look kinda chintzy to modern eyes.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:40 PM   #19
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Woodland how people are different.

But I agree w your “solidity and power” look of it.
But the old “tower of power” seems to have done the same ... but at a different time.
To me the V12 looks like a big model of something that should be smaller and under the hood of a newer car. As in black box housing the cruise control stuff.
Actually I do like the looks of most outboard engines.

I know why you like it ... I’ll bet you like other modern things over older too.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:15 AM   #20
FF
Guru

"To me the V12 looks like a big model of something that should be smaller and under the hood of a newer car."

MG TC perhaps ?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote