Mercury's new 7.6L V12 600hp Verado

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JLD

Guru
This is an interesting video from Mercury Marine, announcing their new 7.6L V12 600hp Verado outboard. This new engine has a steerable gearcase and automatic two-speed transmission.

Jim

That's impressive.....but $77,000.00 ????

It seems that it was always the horsepower that limited how big an outboard powered boat could be. I wonder how big you can go before the weight becomes the limiting factor. In those Haulover videos you see 50 foot boats with four, 400 HP engines on the back..... I wonder if this engine will bring outboard power to the 60-70 foot boat range.

Greetings,
Mr. JLD. Good grief!!! I can hardly wait for the "small appendage" crowd to buy these. This boater will be able to eliminate 2 motors OR swap all 6 out....

iu

Seven has been making 600+ hp outboards for years now. Some boats had 4 or 5 of them on the transom. They ran between $70K to about $100 K per engine. But I think Volvo bought Seven so probably parts will become unavailable...

I will be interesting to see if Mercury’s entry into the 600hp segment will expand the market. I read that 7even went out of business once they met market demand and sales dropped off. If they can replace quads with twins efficiency will increase as drag drops, but I agree that there will be triple and quad installations of these v-12’s too.

Technically they are interesting in that they use a pivoting lower unit to steer like a pod drive. With internal powered steer by wire and a fixed powerhead rigging should be simplified. As for the V-12, I wonder if the block is automotive derived or a Mercury designed unit?

Last edited:
Merc designed the engine in house. Based roughly on the v6 and v8 they have been making for a few years. Bore and or stroke a little bigger. 7.6liter where if they used same b&s it would be 6.8.

The fixed powerhead with a rotating lower unit concept could be the gateway to diesel outboards. A lower unit that can live with 600 smooth 12 cylinder hp should be able to handle 400 diesel hp and the associated high torque. We could see long range diesel center consoles with single outboards in a few years building on this concept or even this lower unit.
It could also have an impact on boat design: if the outboards don’t have to rotate, just tilt, that may affect how the aft of the boat is styled, especially if you only need one engine to get 600hp.
I wonder how one of these would compare to a pair of 350’s as far as weight? And if the reduced drag from the single lower unit would make up for the 100hp deficit, in the real world! If it does, there are a lot of boats out there with twin 350’s that could be re-power candidates. BTW a pair of 350 Yamahas list for almost $70k, it’s not too much of a jump to $77k for one of these.

Last edited:
The 2 speed transmission is kind of interesting too. I imagine that could find it's way into the smaller outboards. I would think you could put a smaller engine on a boat if it had more than one gear

The 2 speed transmission is kind of interesting too. I imagine that could find it's way into the smaller outboards. I would think you could put a smaller engine on a boat if it had more than one gear

I have wondered for years why they never fitted a simple planetary gear set and a band clutch to an outboard, between the power head and the vertical drive shaft, to make it a two speed. It would only require making the outboard a little taller, and that's the one dimension that outboards have always had room to grow.

Interestingly, Mercruiser actually offered a two speed option on some stern drive applications in the mid 90s, if memory serves. I don't think the sold many. I believe the mechanical parts were derived from a GM Powerglide.

600 hp X 6 for 3600 hp! Would need fuel lines the size of garden hoses for each engine. Lets say 60 GPH (1 GPM) for simplicity sake times 6. For comparison, an open ended garden hose at normal water pressure is about 5 GPM. First world problems. :D

This is some impressive innovation for an outboard, certainly. But the engine still has sea water for cooling, that steered lower unit and the transmission have to live while dunked or misted with sea water. Corrosion issues anyone???

Always considered OB's to be sort of "disposable". Most live a solid 10yr in salt, some make it 15yr, occasionally you get one that makes 20yr. But if you have one at 10yr and it needs work, often the bolts break off or you find gasket sealing surface rotted. Time for the motor pile!!

Different market, I suppose. Someone willing to plunk down that cash for something disposable, probably does not care that much about how long it lasts.

At $77k it would only cost $7,700 a year over 10 years, or just over $15k a year for 1200hp. What does it cost to keep 1200hp of MAN or MTU for 10 years?

"What does it cost to keep 1200hp of MAN or MTU for 10 years?"

Probably more important to the OB folks is what is the weight and can it be changed out in an afternoon?

The cowl hood is also an interesting feature as it makes it easier to do some services while the boat is still in the water:

15492-albums680-picture6720.jpg

Jim

This is some impressive innovation for an outboard, certainly. But the engine still has sea water for cooling, that steered lower unit and the transmission have to live while dunked or misted with sea water. Corrosion issues anyone???

Always considered OB's to be sort of "disposable". Most live a solid 10yr in salt, some make it 15yr, occasionally you get one that makes 20yr. But if you have one at 10yr and it needs work, often the bolts break off or you find gasket sealing surface rotted. Time for the motor pile!!

Different market, I suppose. Someone willing to plunk down that cash for something disposable, probably does not care that much about how long it lasts.

As with many large OBs I've seen, wouldn't these have a quick connect fresh water flush system? Would the drive system be able to be tilted out of the water?

It seems Mercury has it’s mindset right where it was when they launched the first 6cyl OB. 1960 what?

At least then the tower of power was easy to look at then.

It seems Mercury has it’s mindset right where it was when they launched the first 6cyl OB. 1960 what?

At least then the tower of power was easy to look at then.

You don’t like the looks of the new motors? I think the angles and masses of the cowl exudes solidity and power. It has a real hewn from billet look. The old chrome plated cowls of the straight six have not aged well IMHO and look kinda chintzy to modern eyes.

Woodland how people are different.

But I agree w your “solidity and power” look of it.
But the old “tower of power” seems to have done the same ... but at a different time.
To me the V12 looks like a big model of something that should be smaller and under the hood of a newer car. As in black box housing the cruise control stuff.
Actually I do like the looks of most outboard engines.

I know why you like it ... I’ll bet you like other modern things over older too.

Last edited:
"To me the V12 looks like a big model of something that should be smaller and under the hood of a newer car."

MG TC perhaps ?

I wonder how one of these would do on my 11’ Highfield RIB? My 20 hp ‘Zuki isn’t going to last forever.

Wow!, I want one, wait, I want two or three for the back of my Cigarette.

Oh Wait, I don't have a Cigarette, I don't even want one. Guess I'll stay with my 120 F.L.

I'll make a prediction though.. This engine will dominate the go fast market and you will rarely see a single, always two or more. Even at just under $100,000 a copy.

pete

Woodland how people are different.

But I agree w your “solidity and power” look of it.
But the old “tower of power” seems to have done the same ... but at a different time.
To me the V12 looks like a big model of something that should be smaller and under the hood of a newer car. As in black box housing the cruise control stuff.
Actually I do like the looks of most outboard engines.

I know why you like it ... I’ll bet you like other modern things over older too.

I do indeed like modern things, I make a point of being open to the future and I really try not to dwell in and on the past. I am 67 and determined not to be one of those sad old people railing at the damn kids and their new-fangeled ways and kooky music.
Paradoxically I am also a keen student of history, especially the sociology of daily life and if I’ve learned anything it’s that the more things change the more they remain the same.
I am currently reading about the rise of Gaius Marius and Sulla and their times in pre-Christian Rome and a lot of contemporary writing was about the failings of the younger generation, the outrages of modern art and theatre and their general inferiority to any previous generation.

Wow!, I want one, wait, I want two or three for the back of my Cigarette.

Oh Wait, I don't have a Cigarette, I don't even want one. Guess I'll stay with my 120 F.L.

I'll make a prediction though.. This engine will dominate the go fast market and you will rarely see a single, always two or more. Even at just under $100,000 a copy.

pete
these motors were designed and really only applicable to the large center console market. To me the performance market consists of the 130 mph outboard catamarans. These motors are too big too heavy and do not have the proper lower unit to make those speeds on pretty much any boat. The 450 will remain the king in real go fast boats for the time being

I'll agree that these engines will likely dominate the large center console market.

I think they will also be popular for large express cruisers as well. MJM for example has a 53' cruiser currently running (4) Mercury 400 Verados.

Jim

At $77k it would only cost $7,700 a year over 10 years, or just over $15k a year for 1200hp. What does it cost to keep 1200hp of MAN or MTU for 10 years?

There is a trend up here to buy the boat and LEASE the outboards for 4-5 years and then switch them out for new. I just saw a pair of Evinrudes swapped out for shiny new Yamaha's.

Makes sense as it would keep the power under warranty and keep up with the latest technology........

Of course the selling dealers LOVE it !

Mercury didn’t develop this engine over night...most certainly over a year or so and before seven was sold to Volvo who ultimately decided to dump it. I bet that even Mercury could be having 3nd thoughts. These motors will be bought by folks because they can not because it is practical or the best propulsion alternative...IMO

Mercury didn’t develop this engine over night...most certainly over a year or so and before seven was sold to Volvo who ultimately decided to dump it. I bet that even Mercury could be having 3nd thoughts. These motors will be bought by folks because they can not because it is practical or the best propulsion alternative...IMO
You are right and how long the development took.. it remains to be seen how successful this motor is. I do know there are many many large center console boats with three four and even five 400 or 450s installed. Money for these people does not seem to be the problem. personally I think this motor will find transoms to power

Back
Top Bottom