Mercury's new 7.6L V12 600hp Verado

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am sure there must be a government enforced manufacturer limit on HP on boats - am I right? So, Mercury can make any size motor they want, but the boat maker is restricted in terms of a HP limit? I can't wait to see what happens when some guys straps one of these 600 HP Verados to the back of a 16 foot bass boat - I think the evening news report will be spectacular.

I am sure there must be a government enforced manufacturer limit on HP on boats - am I right? So, Mercury can make any size motor they want, but the boat maker is restricted in terrms of a HP limit? I can't wait to see what happens when some guys straps one of these 600 HP Verados to the back of a 16 foot bass boat - I think the evening news report will be spectacular.
On the target boat for these motors there was no government horsepower restrictions, I think the price alone will preclude anyone from trying to strap one to a bass boat

I am sure there must be a government enforced manufacturer limit on HP on boats - am I right? So, Mercury can make any size motor they want, but the boat maker is restricted in terms of a HP limit? I can't wait to see what happens when some guys straps one of these 600 HP Verados to the back of a 16 foot bass boat - I think the evening news report will be spectacular.

On small boats there are formulas, etc. for determining the max allowed hp. That's why you see dinghies and such rated for an outboard of up to X hp, etc. Once you get above the size range where capacity plates are required, I think it's pretty much up to the manufacturer to decide what they can build safely.

Locally, there are 2 guys with Nor-Tech 39 center consoles. One has 3x 400s on the back, the other has 4. Both are scary fast, but there's nothing other than the manufacturer saying they can't swap them out for something bigger. I did a little searching and found a magazine test for one of those with the quad 400s. With all 4 running, it's more efficient on plane than going slow, surprisingly enough (shutting 2 engines down would likely change that). Best efficiency came in at 1.34 nmpg at just over 36 kts. WOT was just shy of 81 kts burning a blistering 155 gal/hr :eek:

EDIT: Just found another test of the same Nor-Tech (a couple years newer) with triple 400s. With those engines it "only" does 70.8 kts, but oddly, it burns more fuel (per mile) than the quads (but that could be down to the testing).

Last edited:
On the target boat for these motors there was no government horsepower restrictions, I think the price alone will preclude anyone from trying to strap one to a bass boat

:iagree:, and the fact that a single engine weighs 1,260 pounds. :)

I don't think many folks would run a single 600 hp outboard, especially for fishing boats. Most guys who fish, like the redundancy of twin engines. Thus, even if they could hang a single 600 on their boat, they likely would opt for twin 300/350's.

Jim

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom