Old 02-18-2021, 09:22 AM   #21
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
I wonder how one of these would do on my 11’ Highfield RIB? My 20 hp ‘Zuki isn’t going to last forever.

Dougcole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:46 AM   #22
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Wow!, I want one, wait, I want two or three for the back of my Cigarette.

Oh Wait, I don't have a Cigarette, I don't even want one. Guess I'll stay with my 120 F.L.

I'll make a prediction though.. This engine will dominate the go fast market and you will rarely see a single, always two or more. Even at just under $100,000 a copy.

pete

Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:52 AM   #23
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Woodland how people are different.

But I agree w your “solidity and power” look of it.
But the old “tower of power” seems to have done the same ... but at a different time.
To me the V12 looks like a big model of something that should be smaller and under the hood of a newer car. As in black box housing the cruise control stuff.
Actually I do like the looks of most outboard engines.

I know why you like it ... I’ll bet you like other modern things over older too.
I do indeed like modern things, I make a point of being open to the future and I really try not to dwell in and on the past. I am 67 and determined not to be one of those sad old people railing at the damn kids and their new-fangeled ways and kooky music.
Paradoxically I am also a keen student of history, especially the sociology of daily life and if I’ve learned anything it’s that the more things change the more they remain the same.
I am currently reading about the rise of Gaius Marius and Sulla and their times in pre-Christian Rome and a lot of contemporary writing was about the failings of the younger generation, the outrages of modern art and theatre and their general inferiority to any previous generation.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:21 AM   #24
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Old 02-18-2021, 10:27 AM   #25
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
FF,
But from the TC we got the TD.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:42 PM   #26
Guru

[QUOTE=Pete Meisinger;977281]Wow!, I want one, wait, I want two or three for the back of my Cigarette.

Oh Wait, I don't have a Cigarette, I don't even want one. Guess I'll stay with my 120 F.L.

I'll make a prediction though.. This engine will dominate the go fast market and you will rarely see a single, always two or more. Even at just under $100,000 a copy.

pete
these motors were designed and really only applicable to the large center console market. To me the performance market consists of the 130 mph outboard catamarans. These motors are too big too heavy and do not have the proper lower unit to make those speeds on pretty much any boat. The 450 will remain the king in real go fast boats for the time being
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:56 PM   #27
JLD
Guru

City: Maryland
I'll agree that these engines will likely dominate the large center console market.

I think they will also be popular for large express cruisers as well. MJM for example has a 53' cruiser currently running (4) Mercury 400 Verados.

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:09 PM   #28

City: Tsawwassen BC
Vessel Name: Tolly Roger
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34 SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
At $77k it would only cost $7,700 a year over 10 years, or just over $15k a year for 1200hp. What does it cost to keep 1200hp of MAN or MTU for 10 years?
There is a trend up here to buy the boat and LEASE the outboards for 4-5 years and then switch them out for new. I just saw a pair of Evinrudes swapped out for shiny new Yamaha's.

Makes sense as it would keep the power under warranty and keep up with the latest technology........

Of course the selling dealers LOVE it !
Tolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:41 PM   #29

City: englewood florida
Mercury didn’t develop this engine over night...most certainly over a year or so and before seven was sold to Volvo who ultimately decided to dump it. I bet that even Mercury could be having 3nd thoughts. These motors will be bought by folks because they can not because it is practical or the best propulsion alternative...IMO
cbouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:54 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbouch View Post
Mercury didn’t develop this engine over night...most certainly over a year or so and before seven was sold to Volvo who ultimately decided to dump it. I bet that even Mercury could be having 3nd thoughts. These motors will be bought by folks because they can not because it is practical or the best propulsion alternative...IMO
You are right and how long the development took.. it remains to be seen how successful this motor is. I do know there are many many large center console boats with three four and even five 400 or 450s installed. Money for these people does not seem to be the problem. personally I think this motor will find transoms to power
Old 02-22-2021, 06:55 PM   #31
Guru

City: Los Angeles
To all you early adopters:
Cool your jets!
600 HP is nowhere near the potential of a 7.6 L. V-12.
800 HP, anyone?
Old 02-22-2021, 07:28 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnotYet View Post
To all you early adopters:
Cool your jets!
600 HP is nowhere near the potential of a 7.6 L. V-12.
800 HP, anyone?
There are rumors of a v16
Old 02-22-2021, 08:36 PM   #33

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Chez Reagan
Vessel Model: Cargile Cutter
[QUOTE=RT Firefly;975245]Greetings,
Mr. JLD. Good grief!!! I can hardly wait for the "small appendage" crowd to buy these. This boater will be able to eliminate 2 motors OR swap all 6 out....

Ah! Thanks for the term. I was sorely tempted to respond with the more commonly used term "penis compensation" but decided against it as I have been put on double secret probation for inappropriate terminology on this family site. Isn't the English language wonderful?
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:55 PM   #34
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. f. I don't think there would be any major problem with using the word "penis" as long as you were not using the word in an insulting manner. It's a proper medical term. On the other hand, you probably can't use the word "Dick".