Mechanical guage vs electronic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
I have been getting some odd readings on my electronic oil pressure guage.

So I have decided to T off the sender and install a mechanical guage so I can check and monitor the actual oil pressure.

Has anyone doen this?
I hate having to track down loose wires and shorts and get all freaked out when my oil pressure drops or climbs for any unknown reason.

SD

I have been getting some odd readings on my electronic oil pressure guage.

So I have decided to T off the sender and install a mechanical guage so I can check and monitor the actual oil pressure.

Has anyone doen this?
I hate having to track down loose wires and shorts and get all freaked out when my oil pressure drops or climbs for any unknown reason.

SD

I have found that oil pressure senders are are very unreliable.

Unreliable enough that I carry a spare all the time.

The failure mode is readings that bounce all over the gauge.

Skip: It's always good to see you back sharing on the forum. Regarding the mechanical gauge, I also get intermittent zero-to-fifty readings on my oil pressure gauge, and I'm fed up with cleaning the terminal so often that there is little left of the screw. I tried Corrosion Block and it last longer, but eventually I get the same problem. Since part of my plan for the ER includes installing several monitor cameras, I decided to put a gauge manifold for fuel filter vacuum, oil pressure, water temp, tranny temp, etc. in the ER with a dedicated camera to monitor the guages, another at the front of the engine for belts, bilge and thru-hull strainer. Alsoi one general camera that can overlook the engine, tranny and shaft seal. Watching the helm gauges bounce around are torture for me.

For the trouble, wireless monitors that plug into existing electronics (even night vision units) are just too affordable to ignore anymore.

Last edited:
Either that or a set of Murphy guages all mechanical.
I do have a ER camera but my plotter only has feed for two cameras. I have one on the deck and one in the ER. I need to find out if I can split off one of the feeds and attach an additional monitor.

Now I need a bigger helm station.

It never ends.

SD

The Murphy gauges can have what they call the alarmstat feature .

This is adjustable to sound an alarm for too high or too low pressure.

A full set of Murphy gauges should be on any boat that is not operated 100% of the time by the skipper who is constantly monitoring the engine gauges.

With an autopilot or a guest steering , the alarm system would be great , cheap insurance.

Back
Top Bottom