Old 09-12-2020, 03:55 PM   #1

City: Fayetteville
Marine Trader Transmission Drive Light

Hi folks, my first post here trying to help a friend out down in the Florida Keys. He has a 38 ft Marine Trader DC with a Ford Lehman 120 engine coupled to a Borg Warner Velvet Drive CR2 transmission. Anytime the gear selector is not in neutral the transmission drive light comes on. It doesn't matter forward or reverse, engine running or shut down. He has replaced the neutral interlock switch and the temp sensor, same problem occurs. I'm really good at chasing down electrical problems so he has asked for my help. All of my boating experience is with outboards on fresh water lakes. I have no idea how the system should work, and cant find any wiring diagrams or schematics on the internet. So could any of you fine folks point me to the right direction on finding the "description and operation", or a wiring diagram/schematic of the transmission drive light system.

Thanks....Jonzie

Jonzie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:20 PM   #2
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
The shifting on that transmission is extremely simple. Moving the shifter MERELY moves a cable and rotates a small valve on the transmission Which internally directs transmission fluid either to the forward or reverse clutch. If you watch the transmission while somebody moves the shifter this is easily seen. There are no electronics related to running the transmission except sometimes there is a neutral switch, and even less often there is a temp sensor. The neutral switch prevents the starter from engaging if the transmission is not in neutral. The temp sensor normally just goes to an over temp light but it could be set up with a gauge.

I have a copy of the service manual for this transmission and would be happy to email it someplace, but as I said, that transmission is completely mechanical and any “light” is some external add on. There is only the neutral switch that even could activate any light so you might start there and trace wires.

There is no “drive” light for that transmission, somebody has added something.

Ken

kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:37 PM   #3
Guru

City: Solomons, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Welcome to TF!

Greg.
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:46 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Welcome aboard. I agree that this is probably something that a PO added on.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:26 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post

There is no “drive” light for that transmission, somebody has added something.

Ken
Take out the bulb?

I have the BWVD CR2. I have no light, and those tx have been very reliable without one.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:32 PM   #6
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
CR2 was not originally equipped with any gear position indicating device. PO has added some circuitry and apparently hard wired it to battery.

If neutral safety switch is hooked up I don't see any point for a gear indicator light.

SoWhat is online now   Reply With Quote