Marine Trader Starter Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BillZe

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Migration
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 34 Double Cabin Yacht Trawler
I have a 1974 Marine Trader Yacht Trawler 34 with a Cummings Diesel. My starter recently went so I pulled it out and had it rebuilt. I am trying to reinstall it but I cannot seem to get it all the way back in and get it flush so it will engage the flywheel.

Any advice?

Is the starter your old starter or just a look alike? Sometimes rebuild shops will substitute a new starter if it's cheaper than rebuilding. It may look the same but not the same.
Also many starters are not painted where the starter contacts the bell housing to provide a better ground. I have seen the thickness of new paint stop a starter from fully seating in the hole.

Or a tooth on the starter may be contacting a tooth on the ring gear. Turn the starter or the engine slightly.

I saw this next to my old core. They looked identical. It seems too big a gap for it to just be paint. We will try the teeth.

You should be able to turn the starter gear by hand, or the engine with a breaker bar on the front. You only need a fraction of an inch.

pete

I made the gear click a few times. Will that do it? There is also a set screw that is not flush but seemed to be from the pics of my old one. Could that be the issue?

Last edited:
"made the gear click a few times" ??

What does that mean? I think you should connect the hot wire to the starter then briefly ground it either to the engine or with a ground cable if you have the starter on the bench.

The gear should "whir" and there should be enough torque to jump the starter around on the bench.

This simple test will accomplish two things. It will definitely change the position of the starter gears and there is also the possibility that the bendix is not fully retracting the gear, this should jump it back into position.

Give it a try

pete

Something is not right if it does not fit up flush by hand. Pinion should be no where near the ring gear during the install. Don't try to pull it flush with the bolts, you will break something.

Talk to the rebuild shop, find out what they changed.

Greetings,
Mr. B. I don't know about your specific starter BUT the one's on a Lehman can be assembled in different orientations of the body and business end. Perhaps on re-assembly, the shop rotated the fastening end 90 or 180 degrees and something is now in the way of something else.

As M.r Ski says, the starter should just slip right into place with a minimum of wiggling.

It's meant to click that's the engine overtaking the armature to make it disengage when the engine starts. The drive pimion should not touch the ring gear till you apply the elec power. Then as the armature spins it throws the pinion forward into the ring gear.

Pay attention to SKI, he is a pro.

I've only done mine once, different engine, but I had to rotate the nose of the starter to get the orientation. If I remember correctly there were 6 or 8 bolts to undo and reset.

These starters can be used on many different engines so the final setup may have to be user adjusted.

However the starter shop should have reset it for you.

Go talk to them. Maybe they goofed.

If I can figure out hot to upload pictures on here...

Go to the QUICK REPLY box at the bottom of the posts and click:

> GO ADVANCED
> scroll down and find and click MANAGE ATTACHMENTS
> CHOOSE FILE find the photos you want to post and click to enter into the list.

You can choose multiple files one at a time and then when done choosing then click UPLOAD.

They should appear in the post directly or in a file.
If there are more than a few photos then do a few at a time in separate posts. or you may overload.

Choose the photo ahead of time or copy them to a file on the DESKTOP separate from all the maybe thousands of other shots on your machine.

Have you contacted the shop? If not then do so because the photos are no guarantee we can see what is wrong. Photos sometimes work and sometimes not and the longer you don't talk to them the less likely they will remember to see what went wrong.

Last edited:
Tried this but it didn’t bring it closed

The starter shop messed up the cone. They put a different one on and it was not the right size. Thank you everyone for your help. It was much appreciated!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom