Marine trader 43

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptMatt

Vessel Name
Distinctively Lost
Vessel Make
Carver 430 CMY
We’re looking at a 1987 43 Marine Trader, aft cabin. The boat looks well maintained but we have a concern about the black iron fuel tanks. No leaks are evident but they are enclosed behind acoustic tile of some sort and a visual inspection doesn’t look easy.

Any hints, tips, ideas on how to inspect these?

A pressure test would show whether there is current leakage, but, wouldn’t give us a good idea of there overall condition.

Any help is appreciated.

Matt

If you can find a gap between the bottom of the side decks and the tops of the fuel tanks, use your phone's camera (with the "flash" turned on) to capture an image of the tops of the tanks. If there are leaks in the decks or deckhouse bulkheads, that's where seawater collects unobserved, and does its thing on the metal.

We’re looking at a 1987 43 Marine Trader, aft cabin. The boat looks well maintained but we have a concern about the black iron fuel tanks. No leaks are evident but they are enclosed behind acoustic tile of some sort and a visual inspection doesn’t look easy.

Any hints, tips, ideas on how to inspect these?

A pressure test would show whether there is current leakage, but, wouldn’t give us a good idea of there overall condition.

Any help is appreciated.

Matt

Hi Matt
I would invest in an endoscope, get one with good resolution onto a tablet for clarity, they a quite cheap to buy these days. They are always useful for ongoing investigations around any boat you may buy in the future.

I don't have the same size boat .but on mine there is a open spot at the top of the wall to access the hose connections . it is usually below the deck fill. that's probably where the water will fall if the deck is leaking .
also the ends of the wall sometimes don't go all the way to the corner. mine rusted thru because of a water heater leak.

I have the same vintage boat you are looking at. The iron tanks in this boat may start leaking at any time. Just know this and have a plan for the possibility. There are several replacement possibilities all somewhat expensive. Compensate for the possibility is the key.

Back
Top Bottom