Low voltage on starboard gauges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skipper724

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
schatzi
Vessel Make
mainship 390
Left the dock and saw the volt meter at zero, temp gauge and oil pressure show low and engine ran a bit ragged. I came back to dock and shut everything down. Restarted the engine and everything seemed fine again. I see n intermittent voltage drop at the gauge. I check as many ground wires as I could and found nothing. I have twin yanmar turbo 230s. Anyone have any ideas?

Check main pos. and neg. Power leads to the panel. One could be loose or corroded.

I can't comment on the engine running ragged issue but if it were mine, I would start by locating the modular plugs in the engine harness, unplugging, inspecting, cleaning & spraying each with a shot of electrical corrosion inhibitor and re-plugging them together. I've seen those plugs be an issue as many times as not. I would also check the switch/connections on the back of the engine instrument panel.

I can't comment on the engine running ragged issue but if it were mine, I would start by locating the modular plugs in the engine harness, unplugging, inspecting, cleaning & spraying each with a shot of electrical corrosion inhibitor and re-plugging them together. I've seen those plugs be an issue as many times as not. I would also check the switch/connections on the back of the engine instrument panel.
Good tip. Not sure how old your engines are, but I have seen very small connector plugs cause outsized problems. A friend's 2014 boat with 600 hp Cummins had an intermittent rpm fluctuation problem. Cummins tech diagnosed/replaced several items at a significant cost before a rather savvy marine electrician spent about 45 mins tracing wires and found a connector with corroded pins. Problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom