Old 08-02-2020, 09:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: westbrook, CT
Vessel Name: schatzi
Vessel Model: mainship 390
Low voltage on starboard gauges

Left the dock and saw the volt meter at zero, temp gauge and oil pressure show low and engine ran a bit ragged. I came back to dock and shut everything down. Restarted the engine and everything seemed fine again. I see n intermittent voltage drop at the gauge. I check as many ground wires as I could and found nothing. I have twin yanmar turbo 230s. Anyone have any ideas?
skipper724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:03 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Check main pos. and neg. Power leads to the panel. One could be loose or corroded.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:50 AM   #3
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
I can't comment on the engine running ragged issue but if it were mine, I would start by locating the modular plugs in the engine harness, unplugging, inspecting, cleaning & spraying each with a shot of electrical corrosion inhibitor and re-plugging them together. I've seen those plugs be an issue as many times as not. I would also check the switch/connections on the back of the engine instrument panel.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:47 AM   #4
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
I can't comment on the engine running ragged issue but if it were mine, I would start by locating the modular plugs in the engine harness, unplugging, inspecting, cleaning & spraying each with a shot of electrical corrosion inhibitor and re-plugging them together. I've seen those plugs be an issue as many times as not. I would also check the switch/connections on the back of the engine instrument panel.
Good tip. Not sure how old your engines are, but I have seen very small connector plugs cause outsized problems. A friend's 2014 boat with 600 hp Cummins had an intermittent rpm fluctuation problem. Cummins tech diagnosed/replaced several items at a significant cost before a rather savvy marine electrician spent about 45 mins tracing wires and found a connector with corroded pins. Problem solved.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote