Old 11-24-2020, 02:58 PM   #21
Guru

City: Montgomery
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
I have a 135 and do not consider Lehmans to be quiet engines.

Getting everything adjusted will set a baseline. Mine seemed to have a lot of valve chatter. When I changed the damper plate the engine noise reduction was dramatic. Amazing.

We then set the valves and idle smoothed out a little. I drop down to 600 rpm when shifting, otherwise idle at 700-750.

Start also looking for lose equipment, fan gaurds, etc.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #22
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Don't know about other engines, but for a Lehman the Iron is high at 25 as is Copper at 20, those are both wear metals. Aluminum is only very slightly elevated. Your report seems to indicate that the oil was not changed when the sample was taken? If so, I'd change it asap. Gotta get the water out and put in known oil.

Ken
kchace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:10 PM   #23

City: New Rochelle, NY
Vessel Name: Jerry Land
Vessel Model: Grand Banks/Alaskan
+1 definitely on the oil and then the remaining advice given.

Good Luck,

Jim
jjorgenson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:11 PM   #24

City: Punta Gorda
Ditto Brian at American Diesel.
amapola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:03 PM   #25
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
The first thing you need to do is test for combustion gasses in the coolant.You can get a test kit at an auto parts store, or probably Amazon and ebay. If you run the engine long enough with a bad head gasket, the gasses can cut a path in the metal of the head or block.

If the test shows combustion gasses in the coolant, then do a compression test. That will show you where to inspect the casket.
Only if you don't have combustion gasses and debris in the coolant, change the coolant and oil. Otherwise you're just wasting new oil and coolant.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:46 PM   #26
Guru

City: gulf coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
The first thing you need to do is test for combustion gasses in the coolant.You can get a test kit at an auto parts store, or probably Amazon and ebay. If you run the engine long enough with a bad head gasket, the gasses can cut a path in the metal of the head or block.

If the test shows combustion gasses in the coolant, then do a compression test. That will show you where to inspect the casket.
Only if you don't have combustion gasses and debris in the coolant, change the coolant and oil. Otherwise you're just wasting new oil and coolant.
+1
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:03 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fleming Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
FL 120s

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmuir View Post
I have a new-to-me boat with twin Lehmans. I am looking to get some input/comments from the community as experienced Lehman mechanics are hard to find in Matarů Spain where the boat is! I will keep trying to track one down but in the interim am attempting to do some initial diagnostics from afar (I am over 5,000 miles away from the boat now).

The engines have an estimated 5,000+ hours on them (no meters) so there is a distinct possibility they need quite a bit of work.

I include a link to a short video of the port engine. https://youtu.be/BgEwBLKqLqk This is from when the engine was started from cold, so unless there is no thermostat in the engine the header tank coolant should be still. It isn't.

You can see the coolant is murky, and with the bubbles I am thinking that the head gasket is gone. The engine oil is ok.

I also wonder about the knocking and worry it is piston slap. It is definitely from the front of the engine (ie near cylinder 1 not 6). It may be hopeful thinking but could a shot head gasket or mis-adjusted valve train make that much knocking?

*If* it is piston slap do you think that the engine is about to expire? I have heard some people say Lehamns can run for quite a while with piston slap.

Oil samples should be back in about 4 weeks - the longer turnaround due to covid.....

Helpful comments from those with experience are welcome! Thanks in advance.
Call American. They are the source for parts and info.
The FL 120 was originally a tractor engine so if there are any tractor mechs where you are, they might be of help.
My FL 120 has 7750 hours on it and it runs like a charm, but it has been very well maintained. A well maintained FL 120 will run for 10,000 hrs before needing serious attention, in most cases.
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:31 PM   #28
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I think it is the valves, get them adjusted. Then change all the engine fluids.

There definitely is movement in the water in the tank but the bubbles look to be pretty still. There is a good chance you have a thermostat issue, check it out. Does the engine temp come up when you run it?

When you remove the tank to check the thermostat be CERTAIN you get that slanted coolant tube on the starboard side of the engine filled with fluid. Your video does not show the port side of the engine but there should be an air bleed fitting to allow air out and let that tube fill. Otherwise you will get and air lock and overheating.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:34 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Bob Smith once told me that the local watermen would bring in their Lehmans at 20,000 hours for a preventive rebuild. So they will run forever if they are maintained.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:23 PM   #30
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Pay attention to Ski's post #8. He is a Pro mechanic. Also call American Diesel.

Many stats have a small hole drilled in them, either by the mfgr or by an owner.
As Ski mentioned it could also be stuck open.

Could also be the previous owner removed the stat. which will cause the flow in the exchanger when the engine is still cold. Lots of people still think that is a good way to fix a problem instead of finding the actual problem cause, remove the stat.

In many engines that can actually cause an overheat since the water will go where ever it is easiest to go instead of where it must go to be cooled, the heat exchanger, as the engine warms up.

The water could be dirty because the coolant has not been changed in far to long. I've seen that enough times.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote