Lehr 9.9 HP Propane Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don’t think you are lowering the pressure when you push the purge button. You are letting propane flow through the system and push air out. The question is why is air getting into the system?

Interesting. I hadn't thought of it that way.

You previously asked what happened with using the manual pull cord. When the engine has been running, and I turn it off with the key, it is VERY hard to pull out, the first pull. You can only do it slowly, and it moves out about 12 inches at a time.

The second pull, is still hard, but you can pull it steady.

On the third or fourth pull, it will have released enough (of what I'm describing as pressure) pressure for you to pull start the engine.

Check the voltage at the starter while it is actually cranking. Also at the battery while cranking.

Slow cranking indicates either a battery problem or a dirty contact problem in the circuit which creates a Vdrop under load.
That could mean the ingnition system is not developing its proper voltage so the spark is either non existant or too weak for a quick fire up..

Don't assume just because you have a solar panel that the battery or the wire connections are ok and the power is getting to the starter.

I suppose it can't hurt to try. When I get the service manual, I'll check it, but the other symptoms don't lead to it being the battery, if you're familiar with the engine and propane.

I added/edited:
I doubt the ign system is battery powered but if the cranking is too slow the Mag may not develop a strong spark.

That's also what I am getting at. The battery maybe be absolutely fine but any dirty, corroded or loose connections including the battery posts can cause trouble to cause the starter to not get the power it needs for a fast enough spin.

I may be all wet but considering how many times people miss stuff like that I push it to check and be sure.

I do expect that your problem is the fuel supply but just be sure.

I junked my 9.9 Lehr

Three weeks ago I put my Lehr 9.9 electric start outboard motor in a junk pile at the dealer (Tradewind Inflatables in Santa Ana, California) where I bought a new Tohatsu 5 hp propane outboard. I was done with it not being dependable. Lehr is out of business (?). Cannot get them on the phone or order parts. No one will work on it. I accepted that I lost the war. Time to move on. Tohatsu makes all the Mercury small horsepower motors, including the 5 hp propane.

I junked my 9.9 Lehr

Three weeks ago I trashed my Lehr 9.9 with a Tohatsu 5 hp propane outboard which works great. Tohatsu also makes all the Mercury outboards including the 5 hp propane.

I keep thinking about the starter. It sounds slow. If it was spinning faster the engine could pump propane through the system and flush out the air without you needing to purge it.

By the way, you do have an alternator. It provides power to spark the plugs and charge the battery. Keep in mind that it takes more energy to turn over a propane engine than a gasoline engine. Propane engines run at a higher compression ratio than gasoline because their octane rating is about 110.

Even if you do get it to spin faster, I think you have a leak in the system.

I can no longer find posts I tripped over before about the slow spin start.
IIRC, it almost seems as if there is a decompression valve in those tied together with stopping propane when engine stops. Best I can recall.

I can no longer find posts I tripped over before about the slow spin start.
IIRC, it almost seems as if there is a decompression valve in those tied together with stopping propane when engine stops. Best I can recall.

I think you’re right about the decompression valve. I had forgotten about that. It lets you get some speed before you come up against compression. It closes the first time a piston goes past top dead center. Without it they would be a bitch to pull over. You want the flywheel spinning pretty fast before that second piston comes up against compression.

Here in the Adirondacks lots of people have propane fueled standby generators. Surprised to hear you are able to start a propane engine with a pull cord. Everyone says a mere mortal can't possibly spin the engine fast enough to develop the vacuum needed to work a propane carburetor. The reason people use propane is as OC Diver said fuel never goes bad and can't get water contamination. I will have to see if there is a way to start a propane generator by hand, if I can even find one with a pull cord. 2 ways are better than one.

Last edited:
I had one of the early 5HP models. Purchased it because it always started; until it did not. On top of the starting problem things just rusted to nothing. As stated, no one wanted to work on it. Basically, a good idea but porely excuted. I finally dumped it and got a Suzuki, 6HP, 4 stroke. Only weighs 52 pounds and so far, always starts on the second pull.

To each their own, but I've always questioned the logic in buying these alternative small outboards. Small four stroke obs from the reputable companies are darn near bullet proof, reasonably priced (by boating standards), economical, powerful, light, quiet and clean running. Why bother trying to outsmart that?

How hard is it to not let fuel sit? If you aren't going to use it for a few months just pour it into your car's tank and move on. Some people say they aren't comfortable storing gas on their boat. You can't put a 2 gallon jerry jug on your deck somewhere? Gas motors require very basic periodical maintenance, but so does every other mechanical thing, obviously including propane outboards.

I lump the Torquedos and their ilk into this same category. Unless you live on a lake that does not allow gas motors, why pay more for something that is unproven, impossible to work on and more expensive? I've had plenty of electric trolling motors on my fishing boats over the years and every single one of them has been super unreliable. Especially the ones used in salt water, even the salt water series from Minn Kota, who have been making electric boat motors for a really long time.

That said, I'm sorry, OP, that you are having issues and I hope they work out. We were over in the Bahamas a few years back and docked behind a couple that had a nearly new Lehr that wasn't running. They couldn't get parts or get it worked on, which meant no dinghy, no anchoring out, no snorkeling, no deserted beaches etc. Which meant their Bahamas trip was pretty much ruined. I felt terrible for them. They were considering buying an outboard over there to get them through their trip.

Doug, you have the right to your opinion, but why the rant? gas outboards are also known to fail and your argument can be used for using oars. Propane powered engines have been proven for quite some time, propane is cleaner than gas, go green.

Lehr was let down by soddy manufacturing and the business failed. I was about to buy one when research warned me away. But it was not away from the propane outboard. The 5HP Mercury built by a log time reputable company is well worth considering.

I'm sorry for the rant, I truly am. I respect everyone's right to buy whatever they want, I just think it's not real smart.

Are they really greener in a meaningful way? A 5hp 4 stroke burns a ridiculously small amount of fuel, especially considering how little most people use them in a given year. How much carbon are you creating by burning 5 or 10 gallons a year?

Does the Lehr that got dumped into a landfill seem like a green solution? I did the same thing with a 5 year old trolling motor a few months ago. I felt terrible about it, but what else is there to do with it?

Also, don't a lot of people run propane outboards on disposable one pound canisters? I know a few people refill them, but it's not real safe and difficult to do, so most just toss them.

If you want to make a real difference in ocean pollution, stop buying products in single use plastic packaging. Forget about saving a few gallons of gas.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for the rant, I truly am. I respect everyone's right to buy whatever they want, I just think it's not real smart.

Are they really greener in a meaningful way? A 5hp 4 stroke burns a ridiculously small amount of fuel, especially considering how little most people use them in a given year. How much carbon are you creating by burning 5 or 10 gallons a year?

Does the Lehr that got dumped into a landfill seem like a green solution? I did the same thing with a 5 year old trolling motor a few months ago. I felt terrible about it, but what else is there to do with it?

Also, don't a lot of people run propane outboards on disposable one pound canisters?
:thumb:
The refillable one pound? a few threads here about that. Green is not my first consideration, in my case it is a byproduct. I use a 10lb propane and can grab the BBQ one if it runs out on a trip. Will have a 1lb as get home soon.
Propane power eliminates a third fuel on a diesel boat. It is surprisingly clean running, no fumes noticed, that was the admirals opinion.
I agree each to their own method

The LEHR was the only outboard that the Miami Beach Fire Marshal would allow to be run inside the Convention Center when the Miami International Boat Show was there.

AS quoted above:

"{}To each their own, but I've always questioned the logic in buying these alternative small outboards. Small four stroke obs from the reputable companies are darn near bullet proof, reasonably priced (by boating standards), economical, powerful, light, quiet and clean running. Why bother trying to outsmart that?"

As far as bullet proof goes, not always. I had a 8HP Yamaha prior to the Lear experiment. This engine would flat out not start after sitting for a few days. I tried running it dry, adding stabilizer to the fuel, just shutting it down with the carb full of fuel. Nothing worked. The carb was cleaned so many times I can't count them. I was replaced three times. Once you got it to run, it would start and stop all day; but let it sit and you were screwed. This engine was just bad to the bone. I finally unloaded it for next to nothing and was glad to see it go!

On the other hand, I now have a Suzuki 6HP that I love. It only weighs 52 pounds and always starts on the second pull. Even after it sits all winter. This engine is on our dinghy and gets very little use. So the fact that it can sit and than still start right up is importand.

Last edited:
I'm glad you like them and I really don't mean to offend. I'm just throwing out my opinion for discussion. It is a forum after all.

I have a 20 hp Suzuki. Had some fuel issues with it early on, so I installed a big racor spin on filter with a bowl,. No problems since, even with Bahamian fuel. Hope your motors continue to serve you well.

If you are evaluating buying the LEHR on the basis of going green, an abnormally short working life definitely subtracts points. However, shouldn't the attempt to try something possibly better and greener get a few points? There seems to be a bias against failed attempts to go green as a opposed to other flops. If somebody bought a crappy new outboard because it had the currently popular color, style, remote start option or some other fool thing would as many people be offended?

Ever watch Jay Leno's Garage? As much as he loves the cool old stuff, as toys, he keeps saying the future is in continually finding the better new technology. I agree and would rather take a chance on a new technology then a new fashion.

...However, shouldn't the attempt to try something possibly better and greener get a few points?...

There's probably some truth to this.

If Lehr hadn't pushed the envelope and proven that people were interested, who's to say a 'big' player like Tohatsu would have taken the chance?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom