Lehr 2.5 vs. Honda air-cooled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Interesting “15lbs thrust = 1hp”"

I always used the rule of thumb 20 lbs for 1 hp so a 40 lb thrust trolling motor would be similar to a 4 hp has engine at about half throttle.

An odyssey battery is perfect for most trolling motors.

I have been very happy with my Torqeedo. I have no need to go farther than the range of the Torqeedo (I have two batteries so the range is over 10 miles). Even if I ran out of power, my dinghy has oars AND rows so nicely that I seldom use the motor. I also have a sailing rig if I need to go farther. I can charge the batteries on the boat from solar with no problems. So far (10 years) I have had zero problems with the Torqeedo and have not gotten a bad batch of electrons yet. It starts right up every time.

If I was living aboard and wanted a large fast tender, I would just hang a Talaria 29R on davits. Needless to say if I was living aboard I would upsize my boat a bit.

Driving along a road in Chattanooga, TN I came upon this house. Nobody was home so I borrowed its warp drive. My tender really flys now.

Attachments

• IMG_0267.JPG
    IMG_0267.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 45
Have had several small dingy engines over the years including a 2009 Honda purchased new and used on my southern boat. Last 4 years on my western boat I’ve had a Yamaha 2.5 and must say that it is far superior to my Honda in ease of starting, low noise level, overall feeling of quality and with its neutral gear, it’s never a “point and shoot” start as my Honda often is.
Couldn’t be happier with the Yamaha.
Extremely easy on fuel as well.

Have had several small dingy engines over the years including a 2009 Honda purchased new and used on my southern boat. Last 4 years on my western boat I’ve had a Yamaha 2.5 and must say that it is far superior to my Honda in ease of starting, low noise level, overall feeling of quality and with its neutral gear, it’s never a “point and shoot” start as my Honda often is.
Couldn’t be happier with the Yamaha.
Extremely easy on fuel as well.

Interesting. I thought all the modern Honda 2 HP air-cooled 4-strokes had a centrifugal clutch on the prop to allow the engine to idle without the prop turning. As the throttle is increased above idle, the prop engages smoothly to accelerate.

Must have been an option.

Janice,
Interesting “15lbs thrust = 1hp”
Most of the electric OB motors have really poor propellers.

I read that many many years ago... quite frankly it may indeed be the 20hp FF stated. I have read 15 multiple times however that source may indeed be just one person. Thomas Sowell in one of his books speaks about statistics and original sources. At some point I'd love to see two boats (one trolling motor and and equivalent gasoline outboard) put to the test.

J.

"Interesting “15lbs thrust = 1hp”"

I always used the rule of thumb 20 lbs for 1 hp so a 40 lb thrust trolling motor would be similar to a 4 hp has engine at about half throttle.

I checked prices of some trolling setups, batteries and a goid battery box with internal breaker. A single 40 lb thrust trolling motor with internal battery monitor is more than enough. Add two deep cycle batteries and a hard case, all under $500. Could even add a cheap solar charger. It would definitely please the lady!

Two more things I forgot. You definitely need a breaker/fuse of some sort. I had one burn up on me -- melted the wires from the battery nearly to the unit. That was many years ago and since then I've used inline fuses. (The mini- version sold on Amazon for about $10)

AND, I have a small solar panel on the bow of Algae. It's about 8" x 18" and is essentially worthless. It is inadequate and won't recharge my battery even over several days. The mat (flexible panel) will keep up with the anchor light on Algae.

I met a fellow back in Pensacola with a 35-watt solar panel mounted above his trolling motor on the aft end of his aluminum boat. He said it did keep up with the short run to and from the dinghy dock from the anchorage. He worked ashore and did not use the dinghy except for the short runs to the dock. As I recall in 3 days of cloudy rain he'd have to recharge the battery he was using.

For charging Algae, I installed a 12-volt cigarette lighter into the transom. Waterproof cover. I have a pair of alligator clips from a battery charger that was by the Green Store (aka boatyard dumpster). I clipped the wire off at the charger and wired in a male cigarette lighter at the end.

I do not charge the dinghy so much as bring her battery up to the level of the battery bank aboard Seaweed. As I go into absorption charge by early afternoon thanks to those wonderful two extra solar panels, Algae is fully charged each afternoon.

Good luck Larry, and thank you.

Interesting. I thought all the modern Honda 2 HP air-cooled 4-strokes had a centrifugal clutch on the prop to allow the engine to idle without the prop turning. As the throttle is increased above idle, the prop engages smoothly to accelerate.

Must have been an option.

You are correct about the clutch....
Simply that to start it often required the throttle turned up enough that when it did start...it was moving!

One additional thing to think about, but probably not applicable to most since your down south, is that up here in the north, starting little propane engine like the leer in the cold is sometimes problematic.

In the early and late season, when we get cold snaps, if you see someone rowing to the dock with an engine on the back of the dinghy, 90% of time it’s a propane engine.

Back
Top Bottom