Old 11-16-2018, 01:57 PM   #21
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albin View Post
Mr. Leonard,

We had some correspondence a number of years ago, I think on the passage maker forum. It's great to see you are still out there cruising your Albin as I am. Do you have this exact transmission? I would love to hear more about your rebuild. Message me directly and I'll give you my email address so we can correspond that way if you don't mind.

Cheers, Jeff
Bedford, Nova Scotia
I will pm you Monday when I get back home on a real computer. My phone won't let me pm you.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:57 PM   #22
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albin View Post
Kchase (and others) are correct - yours is a BW 10-13 series CR2 (counter rotating) transmission and I'm certain of this because I have the same one. However, I have less confidence in the reliability of this unit than most other people seem to have. The late Bob Smith, founder of American Diesel Corporation, said this particular BW is one of the worst transmissions ever made. According to Mr. Smith. it has a well know design flaw that can cause premature catastrophic failure and you would be lucky to get 2500 hrs out of it. You can contact his son Brian at AD and I'm certain he will give you a similar story. I personally have never had any problems with mine in the 13 years that I have owned my boat so I am definitely not speaking from personal experience. I have an article which details this design flaw so if anybody wants it message me directly and I'll email it to you.

Most parts are available for this transmission and I have collected most of them over the years in case a serious failure does occur but in the mean time, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck with yours,
Jeff
A CR2 can be counter rotating or not. Also, they came in 2 models, a 10-13 which was based off the 71 and the 10-14 which was based off the 72. Other than a 3/4" length difference in the front section between the 10-13 and 10-14 it's not possible to tell which one you have or whether it's counter rotating or not without getting the model info off the brass data tag.

As far as the design flaw goes, yup, they do have one, but even then, most of them go 4000 to 5000 hrs between overhauls and some go much much longer. Don't know how many other transmissions go that long.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:24 PM   #23
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
AFAIK, the 1.88 and the 1.91 ratios are the only ones in the series designed to have input and output shafts spinning different directions in FORWARD. Not at all related to the CR versions, which simply reverse the oil pump on the front to accommodate a reverse spinning engine.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:01 PM   #24
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
AFAIK, the 1.88 and the 1.91 ratios are the only ones in the series designed to have input and output shafts spinning different directions in FORWARD. Not at all related to the CR versions, which simply reverse the oil pump on the front to accommodate a reverse spinning engine.
Right. With the CR2 versions the counter-rotation is done by gears just before the output shaft. Also, the CR2's are available in a complete range of ratios both standard and counter.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Velvet Drive CR2 Versions.png  
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:42 AM   #25
FF
Guru

"3 times since 1971, each time for bad damper plate"

Damper plates can be had in a number of robustness levels.

Sometimes stepping up a level or two is worth the extra bucks, and time to locate it..
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:17 AM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Maryland
I have struggled with high Iron content on my rebuilt velvet drive that has total of 2600 hours due to failed oil cooler 2 years ago. It is the port side 10-13 or 10-14 model. I seem to be headed into the stratosphere instead of improving. At 100 hours after rebuild my analysis showed 810 for Iron. At 38 hours on new oil this year in July It showed 800 and with 85 hours now showing 1070. Report states-

Dark film of fine ferrous wear debris. Check alignment and backlash.

No noises, good pressure, no vibration. This tranny is model that does not require removal of rear motor mounts. Alignment sounds like an external issue but where is backlash adjusted? Don't see how I could have installed incorrectly. Splines on the tranny had to line up with splines on new damper plate or it wouldn't have bolted up properly. Any suggestions or premonitions of impending doom will be entertained.
Eddie and Gail
1987 Sea Ranger 47’ RPH
Lehman SP135
Eddieandgail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:50 AM   #27
Guru

Look up Atlantis Marine Gear on the internet and give them a call to discuss.
They were more than helpful for me.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote