Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-29-2019, 09:35 PM   #41
Technical Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
More common than you think and probably the easiest to check. It would be what I would look at 1st.
If rubber part comes un-bonded from hub (does happen), all pumping would be quickly lost. Not the case here.
__________________
Advertisement

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:48 PM   #42
Guru
 
Steve91T's Avatar
 
City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47 Sundeck
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 896
Hey guys. Finally on the boat trying to chase down this cooling issue. I decided not to replace the impellers because of the fact that are soft, flexible and look relatively now. I do have new ones onboard though.

I opened the strainer and then opened the sea cock. Noted the water flow. Then I closed the strainer and pulled the hose off the raw water pump and opened the sea cock. Lots of water flow and no sign of sea weed or anything. Because I’m dealing with the starboard engine, the heat exchanger is going to be a bitch to get to, so I decided to start the engines, let them warm up for a few minutes then ran them up to 1600. I don’t think I have a restriction in the water flow. I honestly thought it was less than that during our last trip, but I’m not positive.

Does this rule out the heat exchanger?

Could it be the thermostat?

Here are the engines running at 1600.

https://youtu.be/jAh1yX0ql_g
__________________

Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:16 PM   #43
Guru
 
City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 513
Running engines at dock will not give same results as being underway will they?
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:42 PM   #44
Guru
 
Steve91T's Avatar
 
City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47 Sundeck
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmarr View Post
Running engines at dock will not give same results as being underway will they?
Water flow is RPM dependent so for what I was doing, it does.
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:15 PM   #45
Valued Technical Contributor
 
DavidM's Avatar
 
City: Litchfield, Ct
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,871
Ok, you are part way through the step by step process. Take off the r/w hose to the injection elbow and look inside the injection point for blockages. Then do the bucket test I mentioned on both sides and compare. With that data in hand you will know what your next step is.


David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:03 PM   #46
Guru
 
kchace's Avatar
 
City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,054
That looks like a pretty heathy flow to me. You still could have some type of restriction. When I first bought my boat the port engine would get dangerously hot if I pushed it over 1800. It turned out to be heavy scaling on the main heat exchanger on that engine. If yours are scaled, and then for some reason one got a little extra crap in it or if there are lots of bits of old zincs in it, it could be just clogged enough to cause overheat when pushed above a certain level. In any case, I think a look inside the leading ends of the first heat exchanger in the line (is it the oil cooler?) and inside the leading end of the main heat exchanger is in order.

Have you checked the antifreeze level INSIDE the coolant tank (The one with the pressure cap on it)? The level in the overflow tank may not be telling the story.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:45 PM   #47
Guru
 
Steve91T's Avatar
 
City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47 Sundeck
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
That looks like a pretty heathy flow to me. You still could have some type of restriction. When I first bought my boat the port engine would get dangerously hot if I pushed it over 1800. It turned out to be heavy scaling on the main heat exchanger on that engine. If yours are scaled, and then for some reason one got a little extra crap in it or if there are lots of bits of old zincs in it, it could be just clogged enough to cause overheat when pushed above a certain level. In any case, I think a look inside the leading ends of the first heat exchanger in the line (is it the oil cooler?) and inside the leading end of the main heat exchanger is in order.

Have you checked the antifreeze level INSIDE the coolant tank (The one with the pressure cap on it)? The level in the overflow tank may not be telling the story.

Ken

Funny you ask...she was bone dry. Im pretty mad at myself for letting it get this far before confirming the coolant level. It was the first thing we checked and we both swear there was coolant in the overflow.

Either way, I just put a gallon of distilled water in the tank and ran it at the dock at 1500 for about 20 minutes. She held perfectly at 170. We are taking a 2 hour trip on Friday, thatll be the real test.


Sooooooo.....

Whered that gallon of coolant run off to?
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:46 PM   #48
Guru
 
Xsbank's Avatar
 
City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,797
"Hoofbeats..."
__________________
Don't believe everything that you think.
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:50 PM   #49
Technical Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6,185
Crap, post #4 asked you that very question. Coolant level ok?? Ans: yep, ok.

So you have a leak somewhere, look for it. Hoses shrink in cold and leak, go around, look and snug up clamps.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:09 PM   #50
Guru
 
Steve91T's Avatar
 
City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47 Sundeck
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Crap, post #4 asked you that very question. Coolant level ok?? Ans: yep, ok.

So you have a leak somewhere, look for it. Hoses shrink in cold and leak, go around, look and snug up clamps.

Yep. I feel like an idiot. In my defense the overflow had coolant. We even added to it to get it above the minimum when cold mark. Today was the first time Ive been back to the boat since it happened and Im sans kinds so I had time to really check things out.

There are no coolant leaks that I can see. I ran the engine for a total of about 30 minutes today.

Idk, maybe its been low from the PO and it finally got to a level that it started sucking air. Ill know more on Friday after a 2 hour drive.

Sorry guys
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:42 PM   #51
Guru
 
kchace's Avatar
 
City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
Yep. I feel like an idiot. In my defense the overflow had coolant. We even added to it to get it above the minimum when cold mark. Today was the first time I’ve been back to the boat since it happened and I’m sans kinds so I had time to really check things out.

There are no coolant leaks that I can see. I ran the engine for a total of about 30 minutes today.

Idk, maybe it’s been low from the PO and it finally got to a level that it started sucking air. I’ll know more on Friday after a 2 hour drive.

Sorry guys
If it does end up dropping and you can find no leak it's possible to be the main heat exchanger

Once you fix the leak you will have to fix the clogged or otherwise malfunctioning expansion bottle circuit.

And verify the other engine's expansion bottle circuit is working and that engine is full of coolant. (Level in bottle should rise an inch or 2 when engine is fully warmed up and go back to exactly where it was when engine is fully cooled down)

When I bought my boat neither expansion bottle circuit worked but both bottles had coolant. If I hadn't watched them carefully and pulled the pressure caps off I never would have known.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:25 PM   #52
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 12,328
Lehman 120 expansion tanks(? 225s) have a metal tube inside which can clogs
and need to be cleaned, even drilled out, to function.
__________________
BruceK
2005 Integrity 386 "Sojourn"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:34 AM   #53
Guru
 
Cigatoo's Avatar
 
City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
If it does end up dropping and you can find no leak it's possible to be the main heat exchanger

Once you fix the leak you will have to fix the clogged or otherwise malfunctioning expansion bottle circuit.

And verify the other engine's expansion bottle circuit is working and that engine is full of coolant. (Level in bottle should rise an inch or 2 when engine is fully warmed up and go back to exactly where it was when engine is fully cooled down)

When I bought my boat neither expansion bottle circuit worked but both bottles had coolant. If I hadn't watched them carefully and pulled the pressure caps off I never would have known.

Ken
A faulty radiator cap is a common cause for an expansion tank not working. Lesson learned here. Start with the simple stuff.
__________________

Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×