Lehman 135 pink transmission oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris b

Vessel Name
Endless Tymes
Vessel Make
44' Marine Trader
Went for 3 hr cruise and found transmission fluid pink and foamy. Looks like oil cooler failure. :banghead: Any advice on how to deal with this best, hopefully not pulling and rebuilding transmission.
Thanks

Which gearbox and model do you have?
Some can be flushed with several new oil installs, some have to be removed to get the contaminated oil out.

I am not the expert on these things but have picked this up.
But need the mfgr. and model.
Without the mfgr and model we are blind.

Thanks for the reply, what I know so far Borg Warner Velvet drive aprox 2:1 reduction For more info I will go later today to get numbers and detailed info.

Our boat had the same issue. It looked like a strawberry milkshake and it was the cooler. Three fluid changes after replacing the cooler and no further issues. Maybe we got lucky but I was told the BW’s are pretty durable.

Our boat had the same issue. It looked like a strawberry milkshake and it was the cooler. Three fluid changes after replacing the cooler and no further issues. Maybe we got lucky but I was told the BW’s are pretty durable.

Yes, fluid changes but do it NOW, or ASAP.

Sorry, I should have mentioned to do a flush or three IMMEDIATELY regardless of the gearbox.

No matter the gearbox that needs to be started ASAP or rusting will occur ruining bearings and shaft surfaces, control valves.

Still post the model and mfgr though.

Check anti-freeze level in tank. If very low then heat exchanger might be suspect. Then check oil coolers. A radiator shop would be best choice. Most likely it is transmission oil cooler but fix the problem before dumping a lot of ATF into transmission.

It is difficult to flush out reverse pump on Velvet Drives so suggest running transmission in reverse a lot during flushing procedure.

got all the hoses and fittings off, drained pink stuff out of the transmission, but cannot read the spec plate the only thing readable is "Velvet Drive" the number and reduction is not readable. getting new fittings and hoses and a new oil cooler hopefully by tomorrow.

On a boat the coolers or heat exchangers flow raw water, not engine coolant.
Velvet drive is a Borg warner. Have a 2:1 in the GB, but I used the same oil as in the engine for trans. Red ATF, is that what you put in there

ATF in the transmission that pumps through the oil cooler that is cooled with raw water, so expect a leek in the oil cooler were I believe the water and oil mix and flow back into the transmission

ATF in the transmission that pumps through the oil cooler that is cooled with raw water, so expect a leek in the oil cooler were I believe the water and oil mix and flow back into the transmission

That has happened to me as well. Do a flush. BTW, you could have the cooler checked by a rad shop to know for sure. The small ones are not really worth fixing though, about $200 for new.

My velvet drives have no drain plugs, so had to pump out the salt water in one where the cooler failed. I flushed several times with hydraulic oil (cheap) but again without drain plugs, who knows how efficient this was.
Over a short period of time, the front transmission oil seal failed, sending oil into the bellhousing. Presumably from corrosion on the shaft.
A $7k transmission rebuild later, all was well.
The coolers on mine can be bought for $120 each. My maintenance regime now is to replace all my coolers - 2 trans, 2 x engine oil- every two years. Probably overkill, but better safe than sorry.
Get to the boat asap and start flushing!

BW CR 2 Transmission

Your transmission is most likely a series 71 or 72 CR2. The seawater is coming from the oil cooler. The advice to flush several times with ASAP fresh oil is spot on.

You can remove the oil cooler hoses from the transmission and plug the ports on the transmission so you can put in gear to circulate the fresh oil and not introduce additional seawater.

I believe with the Cat 3208NA, the engine oil and gear coolers are both engine coolant cooled.
Thanks, My reply was in the context of the OP with Lehman and Borg warner trans. While newer ones may have gone to coolant cooling most other discussions still confirm a small exchanger on the Lehman for engine and trans oil cooling with raw water.

Loon here,
Along the velvet drive thread, I think I have an issue but not sure what it is. I have a consistent leak under the transmission but I think it is coming out the dipstick. I’ve tried to follow the manual on checking the level but as you probably know it is part art and part science. “Stop the engine hurry down and check level”
When I’ve checked it is always on the lower end of the dipstick. I don’t have any mechanical problems just this red stain (not diesel) under the BW transmission.
Comments?

Loon here,
Along the velvet drive thread, I think I have an issue but not sure what it is. I have a consistent leak under the transmission but I think it is coming out the dipstick. I’ve tried to follow the manual on checking the level but as you probably know it is part art and part science. “Stop the engine hurry down and check level”
When I’ve checked it is always on the lower end of the dipstick. I don’t have any mechanical problems just this red stain (not diesel) under the BW transmission.
Comments?

Had the same issue on our 36. You have to tighten (turn clockwise) the dipstick so the rubber expands and seals.

If the fluid is leaking out from the bottom of the bellhousing, it could be failure of the transmission front oil seal.
There is no gasket at the bellhousing as the drive plate area is designed as 'dry' with no fluids required.
However, the front of the transmission protrudes into this area and a front oil seal failure will allow transmission fluid in and it will drip out of this bellhousing joint.

Last edited:
If the fluid is leaking out from the bottom of the bellhousing, it could be failure of the transmission front oil seal.
There is no gasket at the bellhousing as the drive plate area is designed as 'dry' with no fluids required.
However, the front of the transmission protrudes into this area and a front oil seal failure will allow transmission fluid in and it will drip out of this bellhousing joint.

I thought my leak was a front seal. (Coming off the bottom of the bell housing) however it was the dipstick. If it is not tight it will leak and run down the side. Almost impossible to see the ATF against the red paint on the gear. Was just about ready to pull the gear. Be sure that dipstick is tightened up properly!

Roger on compressing the dipstick seal. I’ll try drying the area around the bell housing to get a better location.
How do you check your AT fluid and what level do you maintain?

Just before we sold our DeFever 44 with Velvet Drives, a leak developed. It was the rear output seal. Replaced it, no more leak.

Read the manual about checking the fluid level. Sometimes it isn’t just pulling the dipstick. My ZFs say to run the transmission then check the level 2 minutes after shutdown.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom