Lehman 120 valve cover tightening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tator

Guru
Vessel Name
Oz
Vessel Make
Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
Finally found a flat bladed screwdriver bit that would work with my torque wrench. Started to tighten the screws and it seemed to me that the manual specified torque of 12-18ft/lbs seemed excessive for a stamped metal cover. Does anybody have thoughts and experience with this? Also, what is the correct tightening sequence? I know I can call Brian, but thought I would give him a break and ask my fellow TFers.

Thanks, Tator

i've never actually used a torque wrench on a valve cover. with a stamped cover i would agree that 12-18 pounds seems excessive and will likely deform the cover, or squeeze out the gasket.
also, a cork gasket won't tolerate as much force as a rubber gasket, so it will depend on what you have.
for tightening sequence, probably not a huge deal either. but i would do it in a criss-cross pattern center to ends.

I changed out the slotted bolts for allen socket bolts.

Flatten valve cover sheetmetal where gasket goes by clamping the sheet metal between two flat steel bars.

Attach new gasket to cover with Permatex so it can not squeeze out of position.

Torque to 12#. I tighten alternate bolts and go around the cover several times.

I use valve cover hold downs to spread the load. The hold downs will need fitting to cover with a file or grinder.

Attachments

• 61JrCC+2prL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    61JrCC+2prL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I changed out the slotted bolts with studs threaded into the head. Nuts and washers spread the clamping load better. Side benefit - the cork gasket stays in place better.

Cork gasket that still has some life left to it, good and snug will do it. It just need to seal and be even all around with how tight you make it.

Back
Top Bottom