Lehman 120 upgrade fuel filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieO.

Guru
Vessel Name
Luna C.
Vessel Make
1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Any recommendations for upgrading fuel filters? I don’t mind replacing with the same, but was wondering if there was a more maintenance friendly unit. Ones that I can prefill with diesel before installing?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20E1FB2C-B685-4245-99F9-CFF2F74C322A.jpg
    20E1FB2C-B685-4245-99F9-CFF2F74C322A.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 34
There used to be an aftermarket filter that was a spin on. But I think they have gone out of business. Talk to Brian at American Diesel. He has a better filter than the Napa one. I had air leak problems and Brian told me not to use Napa. He sent me some and the air leaks went away. Just remember that these don’t have a O ring but rather a square gasket. So get it in flat and also there is a small gasket that can stick inside the top when you remove the filter. So check that you get all of them out or it will leak air.

I bought the replacement kit about a year and a half ago (after hearing that they are no longer available). It does make changes easier. Unfortunately, I didn't make a note of where I found them. Look around before you give up.

Got rid of the OEM filter nightmares

Used one of these little Racors...worked great for 15000 miles/2700 hours.Sold boat but probably still great. I used the 2 micron version.

Attachments

• 262700-120r-marine-diesel-fuel-filter-water-separator-with-spin-0n-element-and-aluminum-bowl_0.jpg
    262700-120r-marine-diesel-fuel-filter-water-separator-with-spin-0n-element-and-aluminum-bowl_0.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I did the same spin-on conversions. The kits were only like $20 per filter.

I saw this on a boat recently:

Attachments

• IMG_4553.jpg
    IMG_4553.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 22
There used to be an aftermarket filter that was a spin on. But I think they have gone out of business. Talk to Brian at American Diesel. He has a better filter than the Napa one. I had air leak problems and Brian told me not to use Napa. He sent me some and the air leaks went away. Just remember that these don’t have a O ring but rather a square gasket. So get it in flat and also there is a small gasket that can stick inside the top when you remove the filter. So check that you get all of them out or it will leak air.

Thanks Dave, Brian recommends the Fram filters or "any other filter on the planet other than the Wix Corp. made" which includes Wix, Napa, Big A.

I think for now I will swap to Fram, I've got plenty of other things on my list to work on. I'll keep the spin on conversion on the back of my brain for now.

I'll have to review the bleeding procedures before I swap out the filters.

Got rid of the OEM filter nightmares

Used one of these little Racors...worked great for 15000 miles/2700 hours.Sold boat but probably still great. I used the 2 micron version.

Did you replace the duplex filters with a single Racor?

That looks appealing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom