Old 05-27-2021, 11:19 AM   #1

City: Everett
Vessel Name: Makeleah
Vessel Model: 34' 1981 CHB Tri Cabin
Lehman 120 Exhaust Elbow

Greetings! I have a new to me 1981 CHB 34 tri cabin with its original Lehman 120 with hours just shy of 4000. The boat had meticulous maintenance records until 2011 but the PO I purchased from only had professional mechanics work on his boat (a good thing) but didn't save all the receipts. So I've spent the past 6 months prioritizing my engine maintenance plan based on what I can see and what is most critical for the engine health. I had a mechanical survey done and the engine was reported to be good condition.

Since they are expendable parts that will fail with enough time and not terribly expensive I'd like to replace the oil, transmission, and coolant heat exchangers and the exhaust elbow. Id prefer to spread that over two seasons if I can.

Sharing a few photos of some bottom side exterior corrosion on my exhaust elbow and trying to figure out just how concerned I should be about this before I do a summer of cruising before my next round of engine maintenance. Any opinions on the condition of this elbow from the outside? I see some corrosion on the engine side, which may be a result of an elbow left on too long in the past, but I don't see any leaking, exhaust or wetness while operating the engine currently. I have good water flow from the exhaust and zero overheating issues. No steam or excessive smoking. I'd like to keep it that way!
Attached Thumbnails
image0.jpg   image1.jpg   image2.jpg   image3.jpg   image5.jpg  

image6.jpg  

slowbutsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:32 AM   #2
Guru

City: Trenton
Looks new to me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:44 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Can you get the hose off it to look up inside it and see how rusty it is inside?
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:56 AM   #4

City: Everett
Vessel Name: Makeleah
Vessel Model: 34' 1981 CHB Tri Cabin
@comodave - I probably can but not without some considerable effort (then again, what job in boating doesn't require some cussing and bloody knuckles).

You know how hoses are - you take em' off and usually just have to replace them after working them so much. If I'm fiddling with it that much I might just replace the elbow at that point. I've heard horror stories about the interior failing and cooling seawater working its way back in to the #6 cylinder. Sounds like a good way to kill an engine quickly.

Just hoping I can get through the summer first before I start taking parts off!
slowbutsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 12:09 PM   #5
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
The elbows don't look too bad, but the problem is that the real corrosion is going on inside. The only way to be sure is to pull the hose and look. I will say that in my experience, exhaust hoses are usually not too hard to get off.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 12:18 PM   #6
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. s. As mentioned, doesn't look bad from the outside, at all BUT....Perhaps purchase a replacement WITH the necessary gasket AND the injection fitting (small hose) and have it on board as a spare which you fully intend to change out after this season. In the chance it goes south (perish the thought) you'll have everything at hand to do a repair. You're gonna buy the stuff anyway.
Finally. Assemble the injection fitting on the elbow and give everything a coat of red paint.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:50 PM   #7

City: Northport
[QUOTE=kchace;1007696]The elbows don't look too bad, but the problem is that the real corrosion is going on inside. The only way to be sure is to pull the hose and look. I will say that in my experience, exhaust hoses are usually not too hard to get off.

+1. Outside tells you nothing. When the shelf rusts out the water can pour into cylinder 6. I don't think thats fatal for the engine or anything, but why not check?,

I would buy a new elbow and gasket and then check it visually. If its bad, or questionable, you got the parts while you have it apart. If you don't need it this season, you'll need in the next few seasons. .(its cast iron and it is not going to go bad, lol)

I check mine every two years and replace in the third year. I actually unbolt it from the manifold and just replace the gasket when I check

FYI - When I replace the elbow, I rotate the upper bolts down to the lower bolts and then replace the top ones with new bolts. (In my engine, the lower 2 bolts always get the most corroded, tops look like new)
Alisske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:02 PM   #8

City: Dewatto
Vessel Name: CHiTON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
I should send you a picture of my exhaust elbow and then you would feel much better. I am sure that the inside of mine looks better than the outside because it would not be possible for it to look worse.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:33 PM   #9
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
One of mine began to "sweat"/ leak moisture. Waiting for new ones to from USA I patched the defects with epoxy putty,finding surprising numbers of rusty spots working my way over it. Had to be coming from inside. The putty was very effective, it`s short term backup you could carry.
Yours looks ok, but if you are going to pull to inspect, I agree, replace it. ADC and Fredwalker1 are good sources.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:00 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Mine are stainless. We had to pull one to get the exhaust aligned when I reinstalled the starboard engine. When I put the port engine back in I didn’t have to pull it though. It was very easy to get off since the exhaust hose was already off. I did spray PB Blaster on the bolts before I tried to take them off. Interestingly there was no gasket in between the elbow and the turbo. Brian sent me a metal gasket to put in. If you take the bolts off the elbow it will likely twist out of the exhaust hose. Good time to look at the hose clamps on the exhaust.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:08 AM   #11

City: Waitamata
Vessel Name: Karinya
Vessel Model: Pelin
Change it now. It’s not going to save you any money because you’ll be doing it next season anyway, and because you’re asking you I bet that you’ve already got that uneasy feeling. I had one that was leaking a little and I decided to cast a new one in stainless steel. As it took a little time to track down the original pattern and I didn’t want to miss any time on the water I had the original welded up. It worked out fine and I replaced it with my new cast stainless elbow a couple of months down the track - job done, all sweet. Well you know the saying ..... “you don’t know what you don’t know”. I found the old unit that I removed and left laying about in the shed, I really dodged a bullet. I’ll post the pictures it might sway you, however mine would drip a spot of water every now and then so maybe worse than yours.
BeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:49 AM   #12
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
One of these should work. Stainless will last a lot longer.
https://hdimarine.net/?s=Lehman&post_type=product
Old 05-28-2021, 07:01 AM   #13

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2957.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	118089
Old 05-28-2021, 08:18 AM   #14
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Anti-seize on the four bolts! Once a year, I loosen and retighten the bolts.[QUOTE=Alisske;1007771]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
The elbows don't look too bad, but the problem is that the real corrosion is going on inside. The only way to be sure is to pull the hose and look. I will say that in my experience, exhaust hoses are usually not too hard to get off.

+1. Outside tells you nothing. When the shelf rusts out the water can pour into cylinder 6. I don't think thats fatal for the engine or anything, but why not check?,

I would buy a new elbow and gasket and then check it visually. If its bad, or questionable, you got the parts while you have it apart. If you don't need it this season, you'll need in the next few seasons. .(its cast iron and it is not going to go bad, lol)

I check mine every two years and replace in the third year. I actually unbolt it from the manifold and just replace the gasket when I check

FYI - When I replace the elbow, I rotate the upper bolts down to the lower bolts and then replace the top ones with new bolts. (In my engine, the lower 2 bolts always get the most corroded, tops look like new)
catalinajack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:29 AM   #15

City: Bainbridge Island/Petersburg Alaska
Vessel Name: Oz
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
Went to replace mine a few weeks ago on one of my 120 Lehmans. Top bolts came out fine but, bottom bolts wouldn't budge even after soaking with Kroil oil (I'm not sure the oil could seep past the washer and thickness of the flange to reach threads). Obviously, anti-seize wasn't used and the access to the bolt heads was difficult. As it was more of a maintenance issue and I figured I would have to cut off the lower bolt heads, I've delayed the project until I had more down time. Be prepared for this possibility.

Tator
Tator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:47 AM   #16

City: Anacortes
These guys are right down the street from the OP, call them
https://www.nationalmarineexhaust.com/
sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:37 PM   #17

City: Mahón, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
At least it is not the original elbow. It is an American Diesel replacement so it may not be that old. And it does look pretty solid.

Replacing it with a new one, just to be safe if you don't know how old it is, would only cost you a couple of hundred bucks for the parts. If the bolts come out easily it is an easy repair. If one breaks, it is a PITA. Given the elbow has been replaced once you might get lucky with the bolts.

Getting raw water in your cylinder is to be avoided. Ask me why I know ...
Old 05-31-2021, 12:18 AM   #18

Hey Xlantic - I think Halcyon strikes a hansom figure in your Avatar, nice looking wagon to my eye.
Old 05-31-2021, 06:39 AM   #19

City: Mahón, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
Hey Xlantic - I think Halcyon strikes a hansom figure in your Avatar, nice looking wagon to my eye.
Thank you, Beejay.

The hull was originally white but a few years ago, when it needed to be re-painted, we went with flag-blue. I think this visually stretches-out the boat, making it look a bit sleeker and less bulky than in the original white.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0027.jpg   DSC_0055 (1).jpg   DSC_0134 (1).jpg   DSC_0042.jpg  
Old 05-31-2021, 07:02 AM   #20
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Personally, I would buy new elbows and gaskets but I would NOT install them. Keep them for when the present ones fail. This forum is literally full of members who are asking for advice on how to get broken exhaust elbows out of the manifold, etc. It can be an easy job but it can be a real pain.

Why not get new ones and give the old ones a substantial rap with a hammer. It might tell you something. And since you will have to remove the exhaust host anyway to replace them, I agree that you should take a look inside.

But my best advice is to leave them alone.

If, and when they fail, it will not be a catastrophic failure. It won't damage your engine or boat. The cabin and engine compartment may get smelly or wet but you will be able to get to port or finish your trip.

pete

Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote