Lehman 120 Crank Pulley - Repair?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hobbystuff

Vessel Name
Waves of Grace
Vessel Make
Universal 36
Quick question.

I am upgrading the alternator on my Lehman 120, and while I am at it would like to run dual v-belts. Already have the dual pulley upgrade on my water pump, and alternator so that is ready to go.

My crank pulley on the lehman, however has a small chip out of it (see pictures below). My mechanic just shrugged and said it wouldn't matter, however I am a little leery of it somehow nibbling away at the v-belt.

My question is - can this chip be repaired by a machine shop? The crank pulley has a rubber ring in it, so I would be worried that any welding or brazing would overheat and damage it.

Thoughts, suggestions?

H1A2Fbt.jpg

8rq6RaB.jpg

Get a dremel with a little grinding stone and smooth off the rough edges where the belt might contact. I doubt you will see any problem with the belt. That rust in the groove will cause you more trouble, but that can be wire-wheeled off.

Greetings,
Mr. h. What Mr. Ski said, as long as the alignment of all 3 pulleys is correct. If you haven't already done it, I would suggest a turnbuckle in lieu of the grooved alternator adjustment do-hickey that came stock. I think Mr. OC Diver made this modification and posted a picture a while back. I did the same on our small boat (Mercruiser 350) and it makes belt adjustment a pleasure.

chipped pulley

My pulley is missing a piece, (slipped off when changing the front oil seal) somewhat larger than yours. I was concerned as well, but it has caused no problem after several hundred hours.

Dan

Get a dremel with a little grinding stone and smooth off the rough edges where the belt might contact. I doubt you will see any problem with the belt. That rust in the groove will cause you more trouble, but that can be wire-wheeled off.

Greetings,
Mr. h. What Mr. Ski said, as long as the alignment of all 3 pulleys is correct. If you haven't already done it, I would suggest a turnbuckle in lieu of the grooved alternator adjustment do-hickey that came stock. I think Mr. OC Diver made this modification and posted a picture a while back. I did the same on our small boat (Mercruiser 350) and it makes belt adjustment a pleasure.

My pulley is missing a piece, (slipped off when changing the front oil seal) somewhat larger than yours. I was concerned as well, but it has caused no problem after several hundred hours.

Dan

Thanks everyone for the input, I'm going to make sure there are no sharp edges, clean up the groove and not worry about it. Good idea on the turnbuckle Firefly, I was thinking about ways to make the adjustment easier.

Cheers all.

-- Ryan

J B Weld, if you want piece of mine:)

Back
Top Bottom