Old 12-21-2016, 02:08 PM   #21
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Change the impellers every year and keep the old one for a spare (for a year). Cheap insurance.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:40 PM   #22
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Yes, that is something that I plan on doing when it is time to replace the pump as it is a bolt on replacement.
Do you have Cummins engines?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:06 PM   #23

If you are not confident on a rebuild,then I would replace both pumps with new, thereby starting with a fresh slate with both engines, and keep the one that was good as your spare.
tinped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:13 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
From the picture posted, the yellow paint suggests Cat engines. The belt suggest belt driven pumps. So your seals are only keeping the water from dribbling into the bilge. No biggie. I had one dribbling for about 10 years before I bought a new pump, as they were expensive and I didn't want to rebuild. The face plate was worn enough by then that it would have needed replacement too. And the cam. And the impeller. Get the idea?
If it is an inexpensive replacement, do it sooner.

A gear driven pup may also have seals on the other side, between the pump body and the sump. If those go, much more of an issue, so take the dribble as a sign that the pump should be replaced. Now.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:17 PM   #25

City: Kenmore
Vessel Name: Snapdragon
Vessel Model: Custom 56' Skookum trawler
I don't have anything to add on the pumps, but I just spent many hours dealing with a huge rusty mess on my current boat that was caused by salt water leaking out of impeller pumps at some point long before I owned it, and not cleaned up properly. My 2 cents is to not put off fixing the problem, and make sure to carefully clean up any salt that may have gotten on the rest of the engine after the new pumps are installed.
Snapdragon III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:23 PM   #26
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Mine was leaking badly on sea trials when I bought the boat. So when hauled out I just told the yard, new pump. Later I found both a rebuilt and a NEW pump already stashed on the boat! Plus a dozen or so half worn impellors, lol.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:37 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
My JD's use a Johnson pump. I had a leak on starboard side engine and replaced with a new spare pump. Then I took the old pump to the dealer, who replaced the seal etc. The seal failure was unusually early in the pump's life according to the dealer. Stuff happens.

I also bought another new pump, so spares inventory is now one new pump, one rebuilt pump plus four additional spare impellers. The Manual lists raw pump as a 2000 hr/24 month service item, so I'm good to go for quite a while (touch wood).
Old 12-22-2016, 12:46 AM   #28
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
Strongly advise keeping your pump as emergency spare (whatever that means!) and buying new from Seamax. These are a much better design than Sherwood and less expensive.
I wonder just buy a new pump in case of Sherwood or seamax, if they have any information about the failure of seamax or new pumps Sherwood?

I saw this in another forum seamax, whether it is true in general or in one case?

Sherwood vs Seamax? – MV Dirona

Warning! Do not use the Seamax pumps! I learned the hard way. My sherwood pump on my cummins 6bta was going thru impellers. I replaced it with an expensive Seamax pump. After around 1000 hours the teeth on the drive gear sheared off. This damaged the gear on my cam so now I’ll need to pretty much rebuild the motor. I purchased the seamax pump from Tony Athens at Seaboard marine. It was only 15 months old and the warranty is advertised as a “no hassle 2 year warranty”. When I contacted Tony at Seaboard marine, he will not take responsibility for the pump or damage to the motor. He is coming up with all kinds of lame excuses trying to blame the installation or the cam gear. Since this happened, I have spoken with mechanics who have seen this before. It’s not worth risking your engine. It’s much better to just change impellers more often and even change out the sherwood pump occasionally
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:07 AM   #29
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
The Op`s pump has Jabsco in the casting. It might b e leaking but it is a very clean maybe freshly painted pump that speaks of a well maintained ER. Bet it`s a small leak, so far.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:21 AM   #30
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
North Baltic,
There's nothing wrong with the Seamax pumps.
I bought one when they first came out (7or 8 years?) and other than a new impeller every year, they have been stone reliable, no breakdowns or problems.
I have since installed them in 6 other boats I have worked on, no problems with them either.
I think the person who had that problem might not be entirely up front about the circumstances.
Tony Athens is a straight shooter, a very knowledgeable mechanic, and is generous with what he knows.
He personally developed the Seamax pump to replace the notoriously fickle Sherwood pumps on the Cummins B and C motors, in order to provide his customers with a reliable pump.
If you're going to spread second hand crap about him around here, there's gonna be a fight...
Old 12-22-2016, 03:09 AM   #31
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnd View Post
North Baltic,
There's nothing wrong with the Seamax pumps.
I bought one when they first came out (7or 8 years?) and other than a new impeller every year, they have been stone reliable, no breakdowns or problems.
I have since installed them in 6 other boats I have worked on, no problems with them either.
I think the person who had that problem might not be entirely up front about the circumstances.
Tony Athens is a straight shooter, a very knowledgeable mechanic, and is generous with what he knows.
He personally developed the Seamax pump to replace the notoriously fickle Sherwood pumps on the Cummins B and C motors, in order to provide his customers with a reliable pump.
If you're going to spread second hand crap about him around here, there's gonna be a fight...

The aim is not to criticize anyone, I'm sorry if you got it wrong.

I tend to find things to do before purchasing decisions for web. Web can be found in a wide variety of opinions and that's why I was wondering whether this be the case, and I decided to ask it here.

I have received a lot of good Seaboard web pages and Tony's tips Cummins engines is great.

I have also read Sherwood issuing improvements to pumps, my Sherwood is run 7 yars, no leak. my mind to buy a spare pump, while it sometimes fails, so the journey continues, without the wait of the new part.

Thank you for sharing your experience seamax pump.
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:51 AM   #32
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Do you have Cummins engines?

Yup, 5.9L QSB 380hp

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:51 PM   #33
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Change the impellers every year and keep the old one for a spare (for a year). Cheap insurance.

Buy a new impeller for a spare. Next year install that impeller and buy another new one as a spare. Think about it. If the impeller goes bad out on the ocean, you then reinstall the old worn one, and finally you will need to change it again with a new one. Why would you install something that you removed because you thought it was likely to fail soon?

I keep a new spare water pump on board with the impeller removed. Install a new impeller when the pump gets put into service.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:53 PM   #34
Guru

City: Anacortes
I can't tell from the picture, but which side is the pump leaking from? Sometimes the slots get dripped on from above, or are stained from a prior weep. If it's the slot in the middle with some discoloration, that is definitely the seal. If it's the face where the impeller goes, that's another kettle of fish.

If you don't have a spare pump, buy a new one. Swapping an entire pump can be done in a rocking seaway with motivation in about 15 minutes. But you would rarely have to do such a thing, though nice to know you can.

I rebuilt both of my jabsco pumps about 8 years ago. The face seals will go a month or 20 years, you just don't know. I've dealt with face seals in other applications and they are generally reliable. Same with the bearing. You likely won't wear them out in less than commercial service, and you see that large cut in the pump where it's leaking? That keeps the water that weeps from touching the bearings. Unless the thing has been leaking, gushing for awhile those bearings are often good. I replaced mine, but could have easily not done them. Replacing seals without bearings is fairly quick and simple.

The real argument for rebuilding is that you will know exactly how that pump goes together. I always recommend rebuilding for this reason, unless you don't have at least one full spare pump. My spare pump is with bracket and pulley, so I can literally swap the whole assembly with just two bolts and hose clamps.

Also, I like to run "new" pumps for awhile before swapping out to spare status. Just because something is new is no guarantee. Learned that the hard way.

Decent pumps like this, the seals and bearings can be rebuilt almost indefinitely, it's the housing and covers that can wear and determine the lifespan. I don't fear rebuild kits, in fact I trust in those. That's why you need to be 100% that the drip is from the slot, not the face. A face drip would probably just be a bad gasket, but if the impeller was putting too much pressure on the plate and caused wear, you want to notice.

Anyway, by the time you fully read this thread, you could have fully rebuilt a pump, at your leisure on a cold winter day, leaving you with a future back up. That's the best plan.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote