Kohler 8EOZD Water Pump spare?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Hello,

I have been building up a "reasonable" supply of spare parts and I was wondering if this water pump is something that would be considered a necessary spare?

Would you consider that a item to keep onboard ?....(Kohler Part 363071 Pump)

I like to be prepared but at some point I have to draw the line so to say.

Thanks for comments & your experiences.

Jeff

Attachments

• water pump pic.jpg
    water pump pic.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 9
Hey Jeff,

I've been working closely with a new to me yanmar/kohler certified mechanic who I really like and trust. He was on my boat last week to adjust the valves and replace the exhaust elbow on my 8EOZD. He inspected the elbow and told me that it was in great shape and not to bother replacing it, even though I had the spare on hand. He felt badly that I spent $200 on a part I didn't need. I told him that I wasn't upset about it because we use the boat in remote areas and that I like having spares on hand.

He replied that in that case, the spare I should get is the water pump. He said that the original water pump on our gensets is prone to failure. He also said that there is a new pump, either aftermarket or made by Kohler (I can't remember which) that is much better than the original.

I'll be working with him on my boat in a couple of weeks, and I'm going to ask for more specifics on the pump. Do you want me to let you know what he says?

Yes please, that would be great!!!

Rather than carry a whole pump, I elected to get a major overhaul kit from Depco. Give them a call and they'll hook you up with a major or minor kit or any individual part. 727-446-1656. They will likely know the scoop on the current pump.

If you already have a spare pump, I'd carry it on board, especially if cruising any distance from civilization for any period of time.

Hello,

I have been building up a "reasonable" supply of spare parts and I was wondering if this water pump is something that would be considered a necessary spare?

Would you consider that a item to keep onboard ?....(Kohler Part 363071 Pump)

I like to be prepared but at some point I have to draw the line so to say.

Thanks for comments & your experiences.

Jeff

Absolutely. On our Kohler 18.5kw generator a seal on the pump was going bad and it was weeping. We replaced but the new Kohler part has some...improvements/modifications that didn't make it a clean fit. We actually sent that pump back to Kohler and found that the Yanmar pump fit better for our unit. I ordered two for spares. We kept the old to rebuild and have as a spare as well just because.

-tozz

Last edited:
Hey Jeff,

I've been working closely with a new to me yanmar/kohler certified mechanic who I really like and trust. He was on my boat last week to adjust the valves and replace the exhaust elbow on my 8EOZD. He inspected the elbow and told me that it was in great shape and not to bother replacing it, even though I had the spare on hand. He felt badly that I spent $200 on a part I didn't need. I told him that I wasn't upset about it because we use the boat in remote areas and that I like having spares on hand.

He replied that in that case, the spare I should get is the water pump. He said that the original water pump on our gensets is prone to failure. He also said that there is a new pump, either aftermarket or made by Kohler (I can't remember which) that is much better than the original.

I'll be working with him on my boat in a couple of weeks, and I'm going to ask for more specifics on the pump. Do you want me to let you know what he says?
Doug,
I'd be interested to know how your mechanic got access to the exhaust elbow. Mine is in a metal box and is bolted under the rear deck. I could barely get the radiator cap off to refill the antifreeze.

Doug,
I'd be interested to know how your mechanic got access to the exhaust elbow. Mine is in a metal box and is bolted under the rear deck. I could barely get the radiator cap off to refill the antifreeze.

I removed the sound shield from our generator 5 years ago for just this sort of reason. It's a little louder without the shield when you are in the cockpit, but about the same in the cabin. There just isn't enough room to properly maintain the generator with the shield on, in my opinion. Even a simple job like changing the zinc was a struggle with that shield on. I have not regretted removing it.

I do almost all of my own maintenance, but I met this guy a few months back and he has really helped me with some things that I was missing. He works for the local Kohler/yanmar dealer and does jobs for me on the side after hours. He said my generator looks the best of any of the 400s he has worked on, due solely to better access. He hates most sound shields, and the shield on the 400 in particular, as they trap corrosion causing moisture, make all work tougher, and hide small problems until they become big ones.

The elbow is attached with four fwd facing bolts. I don't think you could change the elbow while the shield is on. I also think the valve adjustment would be very difficult, if not impossible. It was a $100 job with the shield off.

when the raw water pump fails, it is never at a convenient time - usually the impeller is the culprit. If your face plate is reversible -minimal spare is a (recently purchased) impeller. If (like mine) your impeller is hard to remove with the pump in place, have a complete pump ready to go. 20 minutes, pump swapped out. I can refurbish it and fish out broken impeller vanes from the HE at my leisure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom