Kohler 8EOZD Coolant & Anode Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimL

Vessel Name
Lemon Drops
Vessel Make
2001 Grand Banks Europa 52
I have a 10 year old Kohler generator that was purchased as part of our boat purchase last year. I have no evidence that the coolant was ever replaced; so I am assuming the coolant and most systems need the periodic maintenance unless the records show otherwise.

I have drained the coolant from the block, heat exchanger and reservoir.

The boat is currently on the hard with pink antifreeze in the lines.

I want to replace the coolant and replace the anode.

Does anyone have a recommendation as to how to do this or the order of?

In the owners manual under replacing the anode, it states to drain the coolant from the heat exchanger. Why would the anode be exposed to the coolant and not the raw water that provides the coolant for the heat exchanger?

Any guidance is appreciated.

JimL

I have the same generator. The anode is in the raw water side of the heat exchanger. Don't forget to replace the impeller too.

If its like mine I had to pull the water pump to perform the maintenance on the cooler and anodes.Genset 8EOZ Serial 0762687, Spec 126176

Attachments

• Genset.jpg
    Genset.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 156
  • Genset pump removed.jpg
    Genset pump removed.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 139
Concerning the impeller - it was replaced four years ago at approx 180 hours. The generator was hardlly used by the PO. It now has 400 hours and it works great. How long do these impellers last?

Is replacing the impeller routine? Is there anything I should know? tricks?

On my previous Kohler Gasoline 5kw genset, the impeller would only last a season.

Back to anode replacement - does the coolant need to be drained to replace the anode?

Thanks

The Kohler Service manual is available for download on the TF Library section.
It is best to pull the pump vs trying to change it in place.
Others have recommended to pull the pump and bracket together... I believe this would be easier as access to the pump mounting bolts is limited...bracket bolts more straight forward.
Careful removing the impeller...easy to damage the I ring groove on the housing if you pry it out.
Shaft key is moon shape and difficult to assemble w/o shifting & binding while on the engine.

Anode in raw water side...no need to worry about coolant.
Best to change or Check anode often as it's a bear if old rod sticks & breaks off.
I've saved old anode plugs and ground the threads off.
If a rod sticks and plug comes out...screw to modified plug on and you can use pliers to pull, twist, coax the old one out.

Concerning the impeller - it was replaced four years ago at approx 180 hours. The generator was hardlly used by the PO. It now has 400 hours and it works great. How long do these impellers last?

Is replacing the impeller routine? Is there anything I should know? tricks?

On my previous Kohler Gasoline 5kw genset, the impeller would only last a season.

Back to anode replacement - does the coolant need to be drained to replace the anode?

As others have said, the anode is on the raw water side, so no impact on coolant levels. You'll get at least a dribble of raw water.

Check the manual for recommended impeller change intervals. Yes, it's routine. FWIW, sitting, doing nothing, is often harerd on impellers than actual usage time -- since they can become brittle or un-pliable (?) and things go south from there.

Good idea to change the impeller and anode now, so you have your own baseline -- then follow recommended service routine.

Just as it's a good idea to replace the coolant. FWIW, Cummins (and probably others) makes a flush product -- the Cummins product is called Restore -- meant to be used in between draining old coolant and refilling with new. Might be worth a look.

BTW, sometimes you can get a separate service manual for the engine side of your genset. Ours is a different model than yours, happens to have a Yanmar engine, so we have both the Kohler manual and the Yanmar manual for that engine... and that has helped a little.

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom