Kohler 8eoz Yanmar generator coolant cap replacement.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pmcsurf1

Vessel Name
Agape
Vessel Make
Californian 45
My gen set's cooler cap needs to be replaced. I search yanmar and come up with mostly tractor parts. Anyone know a Yanmar part number? Are they all universal? Specs?
Thanks,
Paul 20200622_114449.jpeg20200622_114501.jpeg

Thats a standard radiator cap. It can be bought at any auto parts store. But, what you need to know is the psi before it vents. It is stamped in the top, but I cant read it in the picture. It is in relative big print right before the LBS that I can read.

I just realized you posted the model, so I looked it up in a parts manual. It is a Kohler 229980. It is listed as 13-14 LBS.

So, I'd go to any auto parts store and get a 13 or 14 lbs radiator cap that size and you are good to go. There are very few common radiator cap sizes, but there is more than one dize, so bring the old one with you.

Kohler seems to be out of stock.

Thanks for the info. I'll head yo auto parts store.

Ah. Probably right. It's illustrated on the "Cylinder Head and Bonnet" diagram and is called a "Cover, Filler." There's another "Cover, Filler" on the "Gear Housing" diagram.

The "Cooling Water System" diagram doesn't show anything that looks like a cap.

Yanmar doesn't use the word "cap" for this type of part. Not seeing any other likely candidates in the Part Catalog drawings. Don't remember ever noticing that cap on ours; I only added a very little coolant, a very few times, via the overflow bottle.

The service manual I have -- covers several models -- shows a hose coming off the thermostat cover (not a cap) marked "To radiator." The parts manual shows the thermostat cover, not no corresponding hose or cap. I'll hazard a guess that maybe the radiator cap isn't actually a Yanmar part for these small engines.

The 3TNE74 is much like the small Yanmar diesel in our garden tractor... so maybe John Deere parts people could be a source.

-Chris

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom