Kohler 8EOZ Fuel Bleed point..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Hello,

Had the Genset conk out the other night while at anchor, didnt make the boss to happy with no AC but we did ok for a few hours ....

So back at the dock I changed both fuel filters and started the fuel bleed steps,, but the manuals example was a little different from what I saw...

Looks like I have only one bleed point??...dont see any other screws on the upper filter housing...

PS...There was zero fuel coming out of that one bleed point so I thought maybe the pump wasn't pumping...(or I this screw wasn't a bleed point)...anyway so I looked closer at the fuel pump and it has a short power/ground molex wire disconnect and the ground wire had broken off the crimped pin..it actually was hanging on by maybe one or two wires strands and when I touched it it gave up...the connector was vibrating allot which what eventually most likely what caused the wire to break loose from the pi crimp..

I made the wiring repairs and positioned the harness so it was not vibrating so much.

I didnt have to bleed the system after all..I guess cause I filled both filter bowls with fuel when installing..

Thanks for any comments and suggestions..

Attachments

• InkedIMG_20200704_102751641_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_20200704_102751641_LI.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 80EZ bleed.jpg
    80EZ bleed.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 29
Yes, I read that, but my fuel filter upper case is different it seems?

Well thats like you said, strange...but I guess I got lucky...sometimes if you fill the filter housings up really good it may prime itself...

I always bled my 8EOZ at that banjo fitting and it always worked....

That banjo screw is a bleed screw, too, just farther downstream. If you fill the filter with fuel first, so there is little air left, you can usually quickly get it out at that pump bleed screw. If there is a lot of air in the filter, things go much faster if you bleed out as much as possible at the filter vs letting it move downstream and deing with it later in the circuit.

I see that this post has been around for a while. I had this exact problem today and my filter housing is 180 degrees off, just like the original person posted. The bleed screws face the engine. I had to remove it from the mount and bleed the two screws and then the banjo bleed screws. I have no idea why it's mounted that way but it will not mount with the screws facing outward because the filter housing strikes the oil filter.

Happy boating,
Hawk

Back
Top Bottom