Old 11-16-2017, 03:51 AM   #21

City: Canvey island essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogranjac1 View Post
If the question is regarding the shudder and addressed to me - yes I did fix the problem.
I have done over 500 hrs since repair and all is fine.

The root of the trouble is 'varnishing' of the surfaces of 2 cones in the gearbox. These 2 cones must have a mat finish so when they engage there is good contact for the drive. What happens is that over time and INCORRECT oil in g/box the surfaces become 'glazed' and slip.

You need to remove the box dismantle the gears and use some grinding paste on the 2 surfaces of the cones that engage.
Caution- do not go overboard when using the paste - use fine grade and ONLY rotate the cones on each other a max. or 6 complete rotations !!
You only want to clean the surface NOT grind or reseat as in valves.

To do this job yourself you need a gear puller and a vice and bench...that's all.

There is a u tube video kicking about that shows it step by step.

Even a mug mechanic (like me ) can do it.

P.S. Go buy the CORRECT OIL as indicated on the manufacters plate attached to g/box.

Oil I use :- TOTAL 30 SAE MONOGRADE - This is what I use in the gearbox/engine. Also use it in my Toyota Landcruiser truck.
Comes in a nice clean big orange plastic drum - buy it in bulk and save.

Good luck, if you need any other help come back to T.F. as there's a great bunch of guys here loaded with firsthand experience.

Yes is the same fault i think slips in gear mor throttle it drops in with a big wake from the prop, mine is in a 55ft canal boat will pull the box out hopefully today will be pulling the engine soon aswell as blow by is awfull but hasn't been run for over 7years !

Thanks for all the replys as had put the prob on a few forums with 0 response !

Canveysteve is offline   Reply With Quote