Is this Jabsco raw water pump right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonfish

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Traveler
Vessel Make
Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
A friend and I recently tried to rebuild a 5850-0001 raw water pump for our FL120. Got stymied, so ended up taking it to a shop that rebuilds them to finish the job. Picked it up the next day, installed it and it worked fine for two pump out trips, about 75 minutes total run time. Started out fine again this evening as we were going to go pump out.

However, while loosening dock lines the exhaust stopped spitting water. Shut down immediately and checked the sea strainer. That was clear. Started up again, no water. Quickly shut down and everything else seems normal. Started again, this time I checked the spline in the pump and it was NOT turning. The other engine is quite obvious the pump spline spins.

But then I noticed something. The port pump (which was bought "new" last year) has a visible seal of some sort on the engine side. The starboard pump shows no seal at all in the opening (see attached photos).

Now I'm wondering if the shop that rebuilt the pump perhaps do so incorrectly? Is there supposed to be a seal showing there?

Attachments

• IMG_7741.jpg
    IMG_7741.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7739.jpg
    IMG_7739.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 48
Well, I think I have answered my own question. I finally got smart and checked the backup pump (which I pulled because it was leaking water and will have it rebuilt next) and it has a visible bearing seal on the engine side.

My fears that the shop erred looks more than likely at this point. I just hope they will stand by their work and redo it correctly. Actually, that they will work on it at all. Last month when I picked it up they said I was their last recreational boat job, and they were closing per the governor's order. They are staying open, though, for government and commercial work. So I'll definitely argue they need to fix it!

If you have difficulty finding a local rebuild shop, consider Depco Pump in Clearwater, FL. Happy customer, 3x.

Greg.

A missing seal is not the reason the shaft is not turning. I would remove the pump and check the drive gear and whatever locks it to the shaft. Something fell out/off.
The DEPCO parts list for that pump shows 2 different seals.

Last edited:
I know it is a long ways away, but DEPCO is a great solution to your problem. Call them and they can help you diagnose the issue and get you the right parts. And send them your spare to be rebuilt, they do beautiful work or have the rebuild kits available for DIY.

Those slots are supposed to be open so that water can drip out and not go to the engine in the event of seal failure.

Last edited:
Those slots are supposed to be open so that water can drip out and not go to the engine in the event of seal failure.

He is talking about the visible seal in the top picture and the lack of one in the bottom picture....and potentially the subsequent poor logevity.

That visible ring is a rubber donut called a "slinger". Not part of either the oil or water seals. Just sheds the fluid of one leaky seal from getting wicked into the other. Not a big deal to be missing, especially if neither seal is leaking!!

Why the pump is not rotating is a big deal. Get the pump off and check it out. If something is not right in the gear drive, you can lunch gears and that is a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom