Island Gypsy 30 repower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
On site
Vessel Make
30ft Island Gypsy
Hi
New member to Trawlerforum, I have recently purchased a IG 30 and will need to replace or rebuild the engines. Currently it is fitted with two Ford Lehman 80hp, what I would like to know is
What is the cruising speed with the current motor ?
What would be the top speed with the current motors ?
Has anyone repowered with larger motors and how did it perform ?
If repowering what would be a good motor to go for?

Have many more question but this will do for now !

Thanks

Steve

Stay with the 80's. You will cruise at 8 knots. You could spend a ton of money and go with F.L. 135's or 150's or even the 225's. It will not make any difference in your cruising speed. It would just cramp up your engine room, burn more fuel and make more noise.

You have an 8 knot boat. Like mine, the only way to make it go faster is to drive it off a waterfall.

pete

Welcome to TF, and like Pete said...:)

I think Steve is on Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia.
Be glad you got 2 x 80hp Lehmans, rebuild them, they have all the power the boat can use. Different engines will require lots of costly install changes.

Welcome aboard. Contact Brian at American Diesel. He is the Lehman guru. 804-435-3107

I think Steve is on Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia.
Couldn't agree more re the engines Bruce. But how did you work out he is on lake Macquarie, NSW..?

Sadly, like so many new members, he has only put the minimum in his profile. Dora Creek could be anywhere...

This directed at all members who read this...
please, please, please ensure there is enough in your profile to allow other members to at least work out where in the world you are. It is an international forum, after all.
:flowers: :popcorn: :Thanx: :D

Couldn't agree more re the engines Bruce. But how did you work out he is on lake Macquarie, NSW..?
A "balance of probabilities"guess, boat is an IG30 and a "Dora Creek" is located on Lake Macquarie NSW. I checked Profile,before guessing, ? correctly.

Hi
New member to Trawlerforum, I have recently purchased a IG 30 and will need to replace or rebuild the engines. Currently it is fitted with two Ford Lehman 80hp, what I would like to know is
What is the cruising speed with the current motor ?
What would be the top speed with the current motors ?
Has anyone repowered with larger motors and how did it perform ?
If repowering what would be a good motor to go for

If you wanted a fast boat you bought the wrong boat. It's slow trawler.
I have IG30 with P90's. Cruise speed is 7 knots, max speed is 10 knots.
Lehman engines are simple and reliable. All major engine parts are readily available from several distributors. Pistons, rings, valves, etc. The Velvet Drive transmissions are also simple and reliable.

Rebuild would be my first choice unless a rod went through the crankcase. And if that happened I would replace with identical engine.

What specifically is the problem that makes you believe both engines need a rebuild?

Stephen,
Why do you need to “rebuild” the engines?

I’ve not experienced it but they say regularly down through the years that the 80hp FL 4cyl engines vibrate quite a bit. With the engines fully sync’ed they may be quite smooth ?? But if you can’t keep them well sync’ed they could set up a significant harmonic noise/vibration.

Not sure I know this boat. Is it a truncated (shortened) IG32 ?

You probably only need one FL 80.. If this appeals to you see if you can find a boat with one engine for performance comparison. Many boats have a keel set up for a single shaft. But (if you can find a pair of 40hp engines much smaller and lighter) it may be an excellent option. Sailboat “pull-outs” are plentiful.

But what has been said in the first 8 posts the easiest way fwd is probably just to fix/repair or rebuild what you have.
So what’s the engine’s problems?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom