Integrity 340 with JD225

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
Does this raw water injector location look right? I found one on a factory engine which looked quite different.
39_4.jpg

It looks the wrong way around to me. The water injection is best on the down slope after the elbow. That way if it leaks it does not send water into the turbo.

Pic of my port engine has it the way it should be IMO.

Attachments

• JD port 1 sml.jpg
    JD port 1 sml.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 53
Here`s how it should be, on a factory design. Makes way more sense. That turbo looks at risk.
MAR_PROP_6068TFM50_LF_large_90d19d86859e57111d124cb04c48c598015dcdcc.png

It looks nicely done, but it also looks wrong to me.

Here`s how it should be, on a factory design. Makes way more sense. That turbo looks at risk.
MAR_PROP_6068TFM50_LF_large_90d19d86859e57111d124cb04c48c598015dcdcc.png

That's great, provided the turbo is well above the waterline where the engine is installed.

In my case the elbow's arms were customised to get the high point reasonably close the salon's sole, and as far above the waterline as realistically possible.

Thinking about it, it could be ok if the exit point of the spray of raw water is below the visible clamp but, if there is any way it can drain down from the entry point it looks destined to end up in the turbo.
My interest:I just had the exhaust angles replaced on my twin Cummins 210s. The entry point of the raw water is on the "down" side unlike the JD set up. The new ss angles, ceramic coated, looked sealed internally in relation to the entry/exit of water. A lot of work in their manufacture separating gas and water, AU $2.6K each. We replaced turbos too, mechanic said the over application of sealant at the hose connection blocked some of the many exit spray holes causing water back up and consequent rust to the turbo bodies, but now I`m wondering... but the JD set up still looks wrong to me.

Is everything that expensive there? It seems really high, but I have no idea on exchange rates.

I am with Brian - the entry point of the raw water should be on the 'downhill' side.

It seems that that is what you have got on your new set up Bruce? if so, then all good!

And yes Comodave, prices in Aus for getting work done are much higher than in USA, even taking account of the currency differences.

H.

Does this raw water injector location look right? I found one on a factory engine which looked quite different.
39_4.jpg

No, it is poorly done and someday will leak water into the turbo, maybe the engine itself.

Insequent's installation looks good.

I am with Brian - the entry point of the raw water should be on the 'downhill' side.

It seems that that is what you have got on your new set up Bruce? if so, then all good!

And yes Comodave, prices in Aus for getting work done are much higher than in USA, even taking account of the currency differences.

H.
Yes, mine are on the "downhill",but they already were and the turbos got rusted, as explained above,part Sika blocked holes in the spray end the mechanic says.
AUD $1 buys about 70c US at present. I long for the days it bought US $1.10, but our exporters don`t. I spent about $14K replacing angles, turbos, other bits and pieces incl air filters. Someone else on my marina spent more doing the same for a single Cummins 230, maybe had an aftercooler, my 210s don`t.

It is wrong, but many Cummins were done this way. If both ends are the same is it possible it's just on backwards?

Back
Top Bottom