Old 08-15-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Palm Beach Gardens Fl
Vessel Name: Calypso
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40'
Intake screen

Hi: I'm trying to replace engine water intake screen while in water on a 1975 Marine Trader. It appears to be 4x7 screen that slides into place. I am trying to find a replacement or make one...Anyone have any ideas/experience? Thanks
Caribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I'll check mine when I go to my shed. You can buy it as I took mine off.

I've seen them online but a quick search didn't reveal your type...I think West marine carriers them.

You might consider leaving it off if you have a decent internal strainer.

Through the years I have found the external ones clog just as much and cause the same issues...but you have to dive to clear them. Leave it off and you can just jamb something through the seacock and clear it. Plus nothing can grow on and clog a hole...just the screen.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
GROCO MARINE PRODUCTS Try the Groco APHS series. Removable screens with a door that opens for cleaning.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
GROCO MARINE PRODUCTS Try the Groco APHS series. Removable screens with a door that opens for cleaning.
Before anyone get's too excited about the door that opens for cleaning..it must be done from the outside...at the point where I go under to open that door with one screw...I think my SCUBA tank (as there's no way I'm holding my breath that long either way) will last what it takes to get the 4 screws out of the screen (granted more stuff to loose). That's why I opt for no exterior screen at all...

I think this guy wrote someplace too that he doesn't like them..

External Strainers - OMG Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com
Old 08-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
I know this isn't going to be a solution for everyone.I carry a small 3 gallon compressor for inflatables.My thoughts were to install a T in the line to the thru hull strainer.Then install a 1/4 turn bronze ball valve with an airline fitting.Then I could plug my compressor up to it, shut off the valve at the raw water strainer, and blow out the intake line and thru hull strainer.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I know this isn't going to be a solution for everyone.I carry a small 3 gallon compressor for inflatables.My thoughts were to install a T in the line to the thru hull strainer.Then install a 1/4 turn bronze ball valve with an airline fitting.Then I could plug my compressor up to it, shut off the valve at the raw water strainer, and blow out the intake line and thru hull strainer.
Won't work with most seaweeds on the East Coast...the system isn't really airtight and the seaweed tangles up in the strainer...sometimes ou have to pull it out with pliers...even backflushing won't work much of the time.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Won't work with most seaweeds on the East Coast...the system isn't really airtight and the seaweed tangles up in the strainer...sometimes ou have to pull it out with pliers...even backflushing won't work much of the time.

Info like this is why I am here.

Experience is priceless.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
Guru

City: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Interesting idea. It could work if the lines and fittings are rated to hold up to the PSI of the compressd air if there is a total blockage or something that doesn't clear.

And then you have to worry what your dock neighbors will say when your boat "farts".
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Interesting idea. It could work if the lines and fittings are rated to hold up to the PSI of the compressd air if there is a total blockage or something that doesn't clear. My compressor only puts out 90psi at the head.Probably more like 75 to 80 psi at the air chuck.It's only got a 3/8 coiled plastic air line.I think the boats 1.5 hose will hold that since the compressor is only capable of maybe 1cfm at max pressure.

And then you have to worry what your dock neighbors will say when your boat "farts". No dock neighbors for me.

Farting boats.I will remember that.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Palm Beach Gardens Fl
Vessel Name: Calypso
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40'
Thank you so much for the advice! I will keep looking for a replacement screen but in the meantime sounds as if I keep my strainer clean and maintained I might be ok for at least short periods of usage. The seacock has a short, straight shot to the strainer... thnaks again!
Caribe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, intake, marine trader