Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-20-2018, 05:45 PM   #61
Guru
 
Steve DAntonio's Avatar


 
City: Deltaville
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Steve, check out these pumps: https://www.grainger.com/product/PRO...l-Rotary-6XE90

You can get them in a number of sizes, and they are driven by a 1/3 hp 120 vac motor. The carbonator clamp attachment makes it simple to mount. Quiet, and seemingly indestructible.

On my system, one pump draws through a 30 micron Racor 1000 that I run to maintain refinery spec on bulk fuel storage. The other motor/pump is wired through a pair of Omron programable relays that allow me to set an off time separate from the on time. If I leave the boat for a month and want to refill the boiler day tank, the off time is set to 7 days and on the on time to 3 minutes and this keeps that day tank topped off. Or, if I want to polish for 3 days sitting at the dock, that is easy. The filter on this pump is a 10 micron, and I use it to transfer fuel from one tank to another.

I built this system for around $1,500 in parts, not counting the hoses, my labor, or two Debug units which everyone will say are pointless, but which I had great success with in cleaning up a contaminated tank on a prior boat.
Delfin:

Interesting. I see no mention in the specs of use with fuel. It says "Pump is compatible with fire-resistant fluids, hydraulic oil, lubricants, coolants, insecticides, and soap. Can also be used in dispensers, espresso machines, sprayers, filtration and water purification processes, team-cleaning and car-washing machines, pressure boosters, atomizing/misting humidification systems, circulation systems, laboratory pumps, pilot plants, boiler feeds, textile machines, and fire jockey pumps."

There's no doubt handy, knowledgeable folks who have an understanding of ABYC standards can build there own effective and safe polishing system. Knowing you and your boat, I'm sure it's all of these things and it looks very good too.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Steve D'Antonio Marine Consulting, Inc.
https://www.stevedmarineconsulting.com
Steve DAntonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:09 PM   #62
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DAntonio View Post
Delfin:

Interesting. I see no mention in the specs of use with fuel. It says "Pump is compatible with fire-resistant fluids, hydraulic oil, lubricants, coolants, insecticides, and soap. Can also be used in dispensers, espresso machines, sprayers, filtration and water purification processes, team-cleaning and car-washing machines, pressure boosters, atomizing/misting humidification systems, circulation systems, laboratory pumps, pilot plants, boiler feeds, textile machines, and fire jockey pumps."

There's no doubt handy, knowledgeable folks who have an understanding of ABYC standards can build there own effective and safe polishing system. Knowing you and your boat, I'm sure it's all of these things and it looks very good too.
I made the assumption that if they can pump lubricants and hydraulic oil they can pump diesel. They've been in operation for just over a decade now, so it seems they can.
__________________

Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:38 PM   #63
Guru
 
Simi 60's Avatar
 
City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,424
I wonder how something like this would go?

55 LPM fuel transfer pump
240v
Continuous rating

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/240V-55L...edirect=mobile
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:45 PM   #64
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I wonder how something like this would go?

55 LPM fuel transfer pump
240v
Continuous rating

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/240V-55L...edirect=mobile
Problem is matching the pump to the filter capacity. A Racor 1000 will only pass a bit less than 3 LPM. But if you have filters that can handle that volume....
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:54 PM   #65
Guru
 
Simi 60's Avatar
 
City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Problem is matching the pump to the filter capacity. A Racor 1000 will only pass a bit less than 3 LPM. But if you have filters that can handle that volume....
So only need a pump that does 180 lph?
Should be easy.
But the pump on the engine probably pushes something like that when running surely?

And here's a filter to go with that electric pump
Baldwin B10 does 95 litres/ minute

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BALDWIN-...edirect=mobile
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:28 PM   #66
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
So only need a pump that does 180 lph?
Should be easy.
But the pump on the engine probably pushes something like that when running surely?

And here's a filter to go with that electric pump
Baldwin B10 does 95 litres/ minute

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BALDWIN-...edirect=mobile
180 gph is the throughput of a single 1000 series Racor. I looked, but don't see the specs on the Baldwin filter, even on the Baldwin site. That said, if it's 30 microns or so, you can keep the fuel at refinery spec, as I believe 30 microns is what they guarantee. If it was 30 or so, with that honking pump you could definitely filter some diesel! I assume you have a day tank? That said, if the tanks are large, IMO the probability that you can stir the tank sufficiently to get muck at the bottom distributed with any normal sized pump so you can filter it out isn't high. For that reason, most will recommend polishing when the tank is near empty and you're out in the slop. When I get to the last 20 gallons or so and a underway, at 3 gpm the remaining fuel will get passed through a Racor every 7 minutes. Do that for a few hours and whatever is in suspension from the turbulence of motion is now in the filter. If it isn't, it is so well stuck to the tank you can ignore it.

Different motors have different amounts of fuel returned to the tank. Detroits, I believe, return a lot. Others, not so much, so I'm not sure what the answer would be to the question. Generally, the day tank doesn't need to be polished because of return fuel.
__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:47 PM   #67
Guru
 
Simi 60's Avatar
 
City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,424
Bit more info on this site and a cheaper price and close by to me

Quote:
. Fitted with Baldwin PF10 (10 micron) fuel filter element.
https://www.marineenergy.com.au/prod...element-gf-246

No, I don't have day tanks just the 3500litres x 2
We have about 2000 litres in there now, I only need to run the engine @ 1150 for 30 minutes to feel a noticeable temp difference on the tanks which is why I was thinking our fuel pump shifts some fuel anyway.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:53 PM   #68
Guru
 
City: Sydney
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Whether you do it yourself or hire a fuel polishing company, cleaning the fuel/tank is two parts. One is a fuel treatment and the other pumping the fuel, many times, thru a Racor like filter that traps water and debris.
Treatment alone will not work unless you have an engine like Detroits that circulate much more fuel than they burn. Or add a fuel pump to circulate fuel thru your filter. For example, my Detroit mains pump 35 gallons/hr but burn 4 each. So 70 gallons/hr are filtered and 60+ gallons/hr returned to the tank.

I've used many fuel conditioners. The best is Archoil AR6200. I use it in my Ford truck and the injectors are at nearly double the expected life. It's also recommended by Jay Leno's garage. A side benefit is better mileage. In my Detroits I get about 4-6% better mileage, quicker starts, easier starts in very cold weather, etc. And my tanks are always clean.



4-6% better mileage. Total and utter BULLSHIT
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:02 PM   #69
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Bit more info on this site and a cheaper price and close by to me



https://www.marineenergy.com.au/prod...element-gf-246

No, I don't have day tanks just the 3500litres x 2
We have about 2000 litres in there now, I only need to run the engine @ 1150 for 30 minutes to feel a noticeable temp difference on the tanks which is why I was thinking our fuel pump shifts some fuel anyway.
Quite likely, but that isn't going to supplant polishing with a couple thousand gallons to manage. Not sure if it's feasible, but if you could provide room for a day tank, it makes managing the fuel a lot easier.
__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:04 PM   #70
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
4-6% better mileage. Total and utter BULLSHIT
You, of course, have no clue whether your statement is true or not, yet still you make it. Other than the opportunity to anonymously abuse people, why are here?
__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:06 PM   #71
Guru
 
C lectric's Avatar
 
City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Does anyone have an idea how much fuel gets pumped through an 855 cummins "PT" pump?

I can find no actual data online or in manuals but the 3500 litre x 2 fuel tanks warm up pretty quick so I am thinking it must pump it through at a good rate.

This page indicates 400 LPM max
That's 24000 litres/ hour
I find it hard to believe that could be right.
https://wancum.en.made-in-china.com/...-Oil-Pump.html

Cannot say about your engine but my unit [V555M] can burn 13GPH at full output and the PT pump , my spec sheet says, about 90 GPH. So yours might move about 6 or 7 times what the engine is rated to burn at full rated output.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:02 AM   #72
Guru
 
City: Sydney
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
You, of course, have no clue whether your statement is true or not, yet still you make it. Other than the opportunity to anonymously abuse people, why are here?







I dont believe in perpetual motion or santa but please prove me wrong
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:54 AM   #73
Senior Member
 
greatpapabear's Avatar
 
City: Guernsey, Channel islands
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Does anyone have an idea how much fuel gets pumped through an 855 cummins "PT" pump?
Hi. I have no idea but I suspect Steve does. Mind you, when I attended the 3 day Cummins Technical course on Play d'eau's engines (6CTA 8.3 - M3) we were advised the overspill was considerably more than the consumption. Hence, the engines were seen by tutor as a natural polishing system and certinaly no need for a separate system such as ESI.
__________________
GPB
Follow our great adventures: www.playdeau.com
greatpapabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:20 AM   #74
Guru
 
Simi 60's Avatar
 
City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
Cannot say about your engine but my unit [V555M] can burn 13GPH at full output and the PT pump , my spec sheet says, about 90 GPH. So yours might move about 6 or 7 times what the engine is rated to burn at full rated output.
Thanks for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpapabear View Post
. Hence, the engines were seen by tutor as a natural polishing system and certainly no need for a separate system such as ESI.
Yep, given the above from C electric it sounds like I'll stick to what I have been doing.
Drain the crap trap on the tank every month or so, seeing nothing and letting the engine and the racor 1000's do their thing.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:57 AM   #75
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
I dont believe in perpetual motion or santa but please prove me wrong
Gaston
The issue is not about logic or lack thereof, it is about decorum.

Please let those of us who enjoy and tolerate each other's posts do so in a somewhat friendly fashion. OTDE as we knew it is gone.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:32 AM   #76
Guru
 
City: Sydney
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Gaston
The issue is not about logic or lack thereof, it is about decorum.

Please let those of us who enjoy and tolerate each other's posts do so in a somewhat friendly fashion. OTDE as we knew it is gone.



You say LOGIC ?? so for a outlay of $20 one can treat 500 gallons of fuel and get 8% increase in mileage yep totally LOGICAL I SAY BRING BACK OTDE at least all the bullshit was confined to one area instead of filling all the posts else wear
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:03 AM   #77
Guru
 
Steve DAntonio's Avatar


 
City: Deltaville
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpapabear View Post
Maybe it's time for some personal experience rather than theory.

Play d'eau (Fleming55) has 4 fuel tanks with no polishing system installed. One Racor filter plus a fine filter per engine. Overspill returns to the supply tank. The overspill is the polished fuel. Tanks are kept full to prevent internal condensation

The base of each tank is checked bi-annually. No water, dead diesel bug or debris has ever been found in 15 years.

I treat the fuel with an additive every fill, plus a full treatment at the start and end of the season. Tank filler caps have their O rings changed every 3 years to prevent water ingress.

Result? No trace of any isses.

On the other hand, over 30 years I've known many motor boats and yachts suffer from diesel bug and end up employing a contractor to come along with a 'polishing system' which doesn't in any way stir up the base of the tank to get rid of the slimy dark brown dead bug. Lo and behold, that in almost every case, the clogged filters casued by dead bug, persists.

The moral of the story is to care for your fuel from day 1, realising that if there's going to be prpoblem it will happen in an emotional sea just when you don't need it.

You've been fortunate to have avoided fuel problems, and no doubt much of that is the result of your attention to the fuel system. However, there's also an element of luck. I've cleaned out tanks for customers, accessing every chamber and hot water pressure washing, leaving them literally squeaky clean, only to have them require cleaning a year later.

There are two types of fuel contamination, chronic and acute. Your approach minimizes the likelihood of the the former but not the latter, and there really is very little one can do about the latter short of a polishing system. Fuel quality in the US and Canada is generally good, but there of course exceptions. Once you range further afield, to more remote parts, contamination becomes more common. Thus, one's experience with fuel contamination has a lot to do with where you buy fuel, how much you burn and how often the vessel is used. Vessels that are used often keep contamination, other than water, in suspension, making it more likely that it will be removed by primary and secondary filters.

The attached photo is a sample of fuel taken from the aforementioned recently cleaned tank, this unfortunate owner and several others took on fuel at the same fuel dock whose own storage tanks were severely contaminated with water.
Attached Thumbnails
062206036A.jpg  
__________________
Steve D'Antonio Marine Consulting, Inc.
https://www.stevedmarineconsulting.com
Steve DAntonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:53 AM   #78
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9,253
Steve, you and I both know a certain Fleming 65 that ranges far afield on the world's oceans. How does this vessel polish and deal wth taking on new fuel whether from Scotland, Ecuador or Dutch Harbor?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:14 AM   #79
Senior Member
 
greatpapabear's Avatar
 
City: Guernsey, Channel islands
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DAntonio View Post
You've been fortunate to have avoided fuel problems, and no doubt much of that is the result of your attention to the fuel system. However, there's also an element of luck. I've cleaned out tanks for customers, accessing every chamber and hot water pressure washing, leaving them literally squeaky clean, only to have them require cleaning a year later.

There are two types of fuel contamination, chronic and acute. Your approach minimizes the likelihood of the the former but not the latter, and there really is very little one can do about the latter short of a polishing system. Fuel quality in the US and Canada is generally good, but there of course exceptions. Once you range further afield, to more remote parts, contamination becomes more common. Thus, one's experience with fuel contamination has a lot to do with where you buy fuel, how much you burn and how often the vessel is used. Vessels that are used often keep contamination, other than water, in suspension, making it more likely that it will be removed by primary and secondary filters.

The attached photo is a sample of fuel taken from the aforementioned recently cleaned tank, this unfortunate owner and several others took on fuel at the same fuel dock whose own storage tanks were severely contaminated with water.
Hi Steve,

Thanks for ths affirmation. Yes, i totally agree that the supplier can be one of the worst sources for 'instant and severe' contamination. Living in Guernsey I am blessed to be supplied direct from the island's fuel importers, by tanker to the pier head. With the fuel caps directly above the four tanks on our Fleming I refill with as much force as possible hoping that anything lurking at the bottoms of the tanks is stirred up. So far, not a hint of a problem - Phew!
__________________
GPB
Follow our great adventures: www.playdeau.com
greatpapabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:35 PM   #80
Guru
 
Simi 60's Avatar
 
City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Steve, you and I both know a certain Fleming 65 that ranges far afield on the world's oceans. How does this vessel polish and deal wth taking on new fuel whether from Scotland, Ecuador or Dutch Harbor?
We plan on getting our vessel up to south east Asia
In some areas fuel can be suspect so after speaking to several cruisers in the area who have had issues I reckon this could be a worthwhile purchase.


40 LPM pump with bowser head and counter
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-DC-E...edirect=mobile

Pumping through a Baldwin 10 mic. filter
https://www.marineenergy.com.au/prod...element-gf-246
__________________

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×