Impellers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Yikes!
Was doing some routine maintenance today and pulled this raw water impeller off one of the engines. There was one piece of a blade that had broken off that I was able to recover. I don’t know when the last time the PO changed it. The whole thing is pretty chewed up. KJ

Attachments

• impeller.2.jpg
    impeller.2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 125
Ken, you got lucky!

Yes I did. I'm taking the other one out tomorrow--very carefully. KJ

Need to be proactively replaced on a regular schedule, per engine mfr spec. If the old ones look good, I keep them as a spare.

Timely post. I just did my impellers today after 200 Hrs. They looked good with no cracks or missing pieces, but I tossed them. They tend to get a little torn up in the removal process.

My spare and a new one went in as replacements. A new one is sitting in the wings as a spare.

KJ, Jabsco has two pages in their catalog that show pictures and give descriptions of various ways that impellers fail. Yours looks like their picture six.

Symptoms:
Blades Cracked about half way up their length
Some Blades Missing
Reduced Flow

Cause:
Normal End of Impeller Life
High Discharge Pressure

Remedy:
Replace Impeller, check for impeller pieces in discharge plumbing.
Reduce outlet restrictions or increase outlet plumbing diameter.

Sounds like your impeller died of natural causes. I doubt if it was the high discharge pressure problem.

This was the impeller out of the fynspray raw water pump I removed when I was pulling the boat apart. I've since ordered two new impellers and fitted one. I'll replace the impeller during her annual haul out regime Depending on how much use the boat will get when I finish building her.

I have no idea when the PO last changed the impeller but obviously maintenance wasn't his strong point. Theres a fair bit of rubber missing so its a Good thing I had the heat exchangers and engine rebuilt ay!

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

Attachments

• image-2607330160.jpg
    image-2607330160.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 98
  • image-2069071938.jpg
    image-2069071938.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 93
  • image-1555889195.jpg
    image-1555889195.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 95
  • image-3108159060.jpg
    image-3108159060.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 95
  • image-3343212922.jpg
    image-3343212922.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 89
  • image-3582539284.jpg
    image-3582539284.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 95
  • image-2414294952.jpg
    image-2414294952.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 98
  • image-1214807378.jpg
    image-1214807378.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 100
The Coot's engine valves are due for adjustment this year; intend to replace impeller at the same time.

for those that winterize their boats...seem that no matter what the antifreeze guys say...it seems to shorten their lives...the other killer is leaving the impeller in the pump for a long layup

Everyone I know that takes their pumps home, pulls the impeller and let's it reshape gets 2-3 times longer use out of them. For smaller engines It's not a huge expense to change them as some manufacturers recommend every year if I recall, but it adds up on bigger engines.

Just changed the impellers on both engines and the generator last week during annual maintenance. I use the spares bought last year, and replenish the stock of spares. Hours of use were fairly low, but time also kills impellers. By keeping 2 spares it gives redundancy when in the boondocks.

I go 2 seasons on an impeller, leaving them in for winter layup. I throw the old ones away, and only keep new ones as spares, rotating them into sevice.
I have never pulled an impeller and found missing blades.

In time ALL these rubber impellers will fail.

The simple solution is to accept that fact.

Cast Bronze In-Line Strainers from Sendure or any other mfg will catch ALL the pieces before they plug the block or heat exchanger

Seacock up to 1" ............................................................................... 0029S
Seacock 1 1/2

Better insurance than tow boat.

Do y'all use a puller tool or just work it out with pliers and screwdrivers?

Greetings,
One of these years I'm going to order two (possibly another set for the Onan if available) sets of these. The "Easy Slider" covers, that is...Anybody use 'em?
Welcome to Speedseal

I have installed a Speedseal. I am crazy about it.
So easy to check the impeller during normal maintenance. Two small knurled bolts to undo. No tools needed.

I highly recommend the Speedseal.

SD

Do y'all use a puller tool or just work it out with pliers and screwdrivers?

I would love to get a puller and just might soon...but been doing it for 30+ years with needlenose and screwdrivers....though not recommended...never had an issue that way 'cause I'm REAL careful....:D

Some would drive you nuts without a puller .....so depending is not a bad answer...:eek:

Some boats just pulling the pump is easier and working on a bench/flat surface makes it easy peezy...either way...:thumb:

Yup I've always done the deed w needlenose and SS screwdriver. Just a little bit of patience an out it comes. On a previous boat w a 120 Sabre the impeller came out w more than half the impellers gone and I had been running the boat (new to me) w no over heating.

Good point about leaving them all winter in one position. Mine was new when we left from Alaska but I'll change it in the spring. One nice thing about being hauled is that boat maintenance drops to almost zero.

Years ago I bought a Jabsco puller it works really well! The impeller on my genset is in too tight a spot for the puller, for it I use a large, 90* bend, needlenose pliers that works very well.
Steve W

I use a Jabsco puller but have to take the pump off before I can remove front cover. There just isn't enough space between the front/top of engine where the pump is mounted and a deck bearer. Speedseal would work OK but they don't make one for the Cat 3406.
The previous owner (fisherman) never changed the impeller in ten years. I changed it 6 years ago and the old one looked as good as the new one so I've kept it as a spare. I do check every two years - which means removing the hoses and the pump - a job that takes at least an hour to do.

My Onan uses the Oberdorfer pump and they don't make a cover for it. My pump was an example of neglect and I just replaced the whole thing for $225 boat credits. On the new pump you can reverse the cover and it has hex head bolts instead of screws. in the photo you can see how bad this original 1984 cover had gotten over the years.

Greetings,
One of these years I'm going to order two (possibly another set for the Onan if available) sets of these. The "Easy Slider" covers, that is...Anybody use 'em?
Welcome to Speedseal

Attachments

• IMAG1284.jpg
    IMAG1284.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMAG1255.jpg
    IMAG1255.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 80
Greetings,
Welcome to Speedseal

A number of people on the GB forum have installed them on their FL120 stock raw water pumps. Everyone who's posted about them is very happy with them. I don't know if they are available for the new Johnson pump that replaces the stock Jabsco pump.

Psneeld makes a good point about impellers taking a set. We have two pieces of equipment on our boat that use flexible impeller pumps but don't get a lot of use. One is our Onan Jurrasic Model MDJE generator and the other is a huge (for our kind of boat) Westinghouse AC salt water washdown pump.

On the advice of a friend who's a retired marine engineer we run the AC pump every time we're at the boat for a few seconds. The killer of flexible impellers is heat, not running them dry. Of course if you run them dry it will build up heat extremely fast and damage will occur. But running the pump for two seconds or so hurts nothing. However it not only puts the impeller in a different position but it spins the pump shaft in its seals and so keeps the shaft and seal surfaces smooth and in good condition.

On the advice of our local Onan dealer we bump the starter on the Onan when we're at the boat even if we're not taking it out or using the generator. This keeps the starter solenoid limber, turns the starter motor a wee bit, and moves the raw water pump impeller enough to put it in a different position. Just a bump. Not a turn-the-engine-over thing.

Back
Top Bottom