Impeller Best Practices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like others, I replace my impellers on the 3208s and generator every March when I change the oil. I keep the best as spares just in case......

The usual hard part of an impeller change is getting at the tiny brass screws that hold the cover on.

A slot screw driver is a PIA as it must be lined up well.

By removing the slotted screws and using Allen head SS screws no looking is required , it can be done by feel.

Best of all the Allen head screws will frequently stay on the wrench when reinstalling.

Purchase a box of 100 , as sometimes they don't , and fall off.

Remember the brass screws are weak , and so are the SS replacements , go EZ installing.

If you have a walk around engine room and can stand and address the engine properly , it still speeds up the process.

You mean you don't change your oil in the fall before layup so that your engine doesn't disintegrate from all that acid in the oil?
Like others, I replace my impellers on the 3208s and generator every March when I change the oil. I keep the best as spares just in case......

hmason, thanks for the WD40 tip!

You'd think a guy like me who feels the day is not complete unless I've JB welded something back together would'a thought of that. Tips like this are what make TF forum worth my time.

Small giveback: I put a tee fitting on the standpipe of my raw water intake, the branch ends in-line with the standpipe above the ball valve. The top branch has a hose fitting that I use for a fresh water flush of the salt water side.

After install, I realized I could run a dowel or broom handle down that tee fitting & through the valve to clear big stuff out of the standpipe, like mussels.

The usual hard part of an impeller change is getting at the tiny brass screws that hold the cover on.

A slot screw driver is a PIA as it must be lined up well.

By removing the slotted screws and using Allen head SS screws no looking is required , it can be done by feel.

Best of all the Allen head screws will frequently stay on the wrench when reinstalling.

I did this in 2013 and it's made impeller changes much easier and quicker.

I did the same on my Jabsco QuietFlush head pump. If someone throws something inappropriate into the toilet and it gets stuck, it's now much easier to access and reassemble.

Attachments

• Jabsco RW Pump.jpg
    Jabsco RW Pump.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 27
You mean you don't change your oil in the fall before layup so that your engine doesn't disintegrate from all that acid in the oil?

We use the boat year round as we are full time cruisers. I change the oil every 320 hours or one year. I also have the oil analyzed each time and my engines are great each year.:thumb:

I change my oil when the oil analysis reports tells me it's time. Any earlier I consider it a waste of time, still-good oil, and money. Few would agree with me, I know.
We use the boat year round as we are full time cruisers. I change the oil every 320 hours or one year. I also have the oil analyzed each time and my engines are great each year.:thumb:

I pull the cover annually if I’m not having problems and inspect.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom