Old 06-05-2017, 08:38 AM   #41
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
I also have a multi-stage setup. 30 micron to 10 micron then the on engine filters which are supposedly 7 micron.
Bingo, another winner for the best available filter setup.

BTW, I was chatting with a fuel dock guy as to frequency of changing out the dock inline 30u spin ons - "not too often."

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:10 AM   #42
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Racor 900 2 microns and I buy them by the case. Also have vacuum gauges.

On engine CAVs...whatever, as mentioned 5-7 microns. I'm in the "it's a LOT easier to change the Racors IF necessary, in a seaway, than the CAVs" camp.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:11 AM   #43
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Very nice setup. I have never gotten a load of bad fuel but I think the idea of adding a course Fleetguard before the dual Racors would be great to have just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Most of the crap in our fuel is way over 30mic, so a 30 is fine for primary. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Heron
Now this is a great setup. By the book, ready for a load of bad fuel (hoping of course it never happens) and with an easily changed fleet guard. What engine?

I've posted this before, but it might prove interesting to those who have not seen it and reinforce the progressive filtering concept. When I bought my boat it had sat for awhile and had a bit of an asphaltine problem. However, it ran just fine with no discernible issues. About 50 hours into my ownership, after an intake pipe clog on one tank, I decided to go through my filters and deal with whatever tank build-up had caused the clog.
Here is what the 27 micron Fleetguard looked like after 300 hours and 5 years (per the records I could find). It still flowed fuel just fine. Had that not been in line I'd have gone broke replacing the Racor filters just downstream.... Engine is a Volvo TAMD41P. Amazing.

My set-up now allows for tank balancing and filtering with a simple pump as well as an additional 10 micron Sierra filter I can switch in for a poor man's polish..Adding the Sierra, Plumbing, Valves , pump etc ran less than $200

Old 06-05-2017, 09:25 AM   #44
Guru

City: Northport
"Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard
I also have a multi-stage setup. 30 micron to 10 micron then the on engine filters which are supposedly 7 micron.
Bingo, another winner for the best available filter setup.

BTW, I was chatting with a fuel dock guy as to frequency of changing out the dock inline 30u spin ons - "not too often." "

Agreed- and for what it is worth I became aware of more than a coupled of fuel docks that just remove the filter element from their fuel pumps and let the pump run without one - looks like it has a filter from the outside.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:54 AM   #45
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Agreed- and for what it is worth I became aware of more than a coupled of fuel docks that just remove the filter element from their fuel pumps and let the pump run without one - looks like it has a filter from the outside.[/QUOTE]

How does one remove the filter element from a spin on
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:07 AM   #46
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I need a "Filter Microns 101" Course...

Quote:
Agreed- and for what it is worth I became aware of more than a coupled of fuel docks that just remove the filter element from their fuel pumps and let the pump run without one - looks like it has a filter from the outside.

How does one remove the filter element from a spin on [/QUOTE]

I think you need cut it open. Go to Tony Athens' site. He reveals all.

Jim
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:24 AM   #47
Guru

"How does one remove the filter element from a spin on "

Many of the diesel pumps around here have filter housings with elements inside that are replaceable - not spin on. There is a central bolt that comes up from the bottom and holds on a very substantial housing which holds a filter element.
It is really very similar to a home oil burner fuel filter except larger, much longer and takes a pleated filter.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:32 AM   #48
Guru

A question please - I have heard from 'friends' that they like to look at the fuel through the clear fuel bowls to detect the fuel quality. I have seen very little value in that myself. Over the years I have asked questions such as these to these folks but never get an answer I can use effectively....

- What fuel color is good vs bad?
- What do you use to 'detect' the color tint? (how do you compare it)
- How do you tell what % of the color is dyed"
- What do you do when you see it is bad?
- For those that have vacuum gages what is the correlation between color and the vac gage movement?
- How bad do you think the fuel needs to be to show a noticeable/measurable color change within a 3" cylinder?

My intent is not to start an argument , nor get anyone 'upset', nor turn this into an 'anchor type' discussion.
The only goal is to learn what the advantages may be that are measurable, recordable and teachable to others.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:59 AM   #49
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 477.
1) Don't know. All I see is red.
2) Naked eye. If it's not black, it's good.
3) Again, don't know
4) I think the ONLY thing a vacuum gauge will tell you is the state of your filter element.
5) Although I have not experienced any "bad" fuel AFAIK...my criteria would be if it doesn't burn, it's bad.

On our first filter change after getting our current boat there was a small layer of black "stuff" in the bottom of the clear bowl. Using long cable ties to dislodge the more stubborn bits and draining the "stuff" out the bottom we have experienced no other visible contamination since. This was about 12 years ago.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #50
Guru

Quote:
How does one remove the filter element from a spin on [/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. 477.
1) Don't know. All I see is red.
2) Naked eye. If it's not black, it's good.
3) Again, don't know
4) I think the ONLY thing a vacuum gauge will tell you is the state of your filter element.
5) Although I have not experienced any "bad" fuel AFAIK...my criteria would be if it doesn't burn, it's bad.

On our first filter change after getting our current boat there was a small layer of black "stuff" in the bottom of the clear bowl. Using long cable ties to dislodge the more stubborn bits and draining the "stuff" out the bottom we have experienced no other visible contamination since. This was about 12 years ago.

Thank you RT - that is our experience over the past 25 years as well.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #51
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
"How does one remove the filter element from a spin on "
Cut it just below the flange on the spin on side. There are special filter cutters for this or just use a hacksaw. This fleetguard had an upper and lower flange as there was a clear bowl screwed onto the bottom.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:48 PM   #52
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
A question please - I have heard from 'friends' that they like to look at the fuel through the clear fuel bowls to detect the fuel quality. I have seen very little value in that myself. Over the years I have asked questions such as these to these folks but never get an answer I can use effectively....

- What fuel color is good vs bad?
- What do you use to 'detect' the color tint? (how do you compare it)
- How do you tell what % of the color is dyed"
- What do you do when you see it is bad?
- For those that have vacuum gages what is the correlation between color and the vac gage movement?
- How bad do you think the fuel needs to be to show a noticeable/measurable color change within a 3" cylinder?

My intent is not to start an argument , nor get anyone 'upset', nor turn this into an 'anchor type' discussion.
The only goal is to learn what the advantages may be that are measurable, recordable and teachable to others.
Your questions make no sense.

Looking into the bowl has nothing to do with the color of the fuel. It's all about seeing a build up of crud and/or water in the bowl.

If you bowl normally remains clean and water free and you start seeing a build up you may have a fuel issue that you didn't before.

Doesn't matter what color the fuel is.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:10 PM   #53
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Smitty

- It will not be cleaner

But it will not be dirtier.

- If you only put in perfectly clean fuel you do not need the initial filter

Not going to happen

- Most all of us cannot get perfectly clean fuel

See above

- If you only travel a few miles a season filters may not be important to you

We travel a few hundred hours per yer 400-600.

- If you cruise extensively you will eventually get a load of fuel that is less than desired

Done that!

- When that happens the 2 mic filter will be overwhelmed within an hour or two

True, I have changed six filters on one load of fuel. Just money. But in your case if your primary is 30 micron and you take on fuel that had crud in it that is 10 to 20 micron it passes your 30 and your then changing the engine mounted secondary with is harder in my case and more expensive.

- You then have the cos
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:49 PM   #54
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Your questions make no sense.

Looking into the bowl has nothing to do with the color of the fuel. It's all about seeing a build up of crud and/or water in the bowl.

If you bowl normally remains clean and water free and you start seeing a build up you may have a fuel issue that you didn't before.

Doesn't matter what color the fuel is.
Capt Bill - I agree with your post , color means nothing to me either that is why I am trying to understand what other folks mean when they say they are looking at the color.
Build ups of crud and or water will show up on the vacuum readings used to detect that. I only had water on one used boat once - and it was not just a little bit as most of us know the diesel pickups are typically well above the tanks bottom. Thank you
Old 06-05-2017, 08:02 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
Smitty

- It will not be cleaner

But it will not be dirtier.

- If you only put in perfectly clean fuel you do not need the initial filter

Not going to happen

- Most all of us cannot get perfectly clean fuel

See above

- If you only travel a few miles a season filters may not be important to you

We travel a few hundred hours per yer 400-600.

- If you cruise extensively you will eventually get a load of fuel that is less than desired

Done that!

- When that happens the 2 mic filter will be overwhelmed within an hour or two

True, I have changed six filters on one load of fuel. Just money. But in your case if your primary is 30 micron and you take on fuel that had crud in it that is 10 to 20 micron it passes your 30 and your then changing the engine mounted secondary with is harder in my case and more expensive.

- You then have the cos

I am guessing you are changing the filters by watching a vac gage. I am also guessing that you need to change the filters yourself away from the dock hopefully with enough warning so you do not have to do it underway. If you must do it underway it almost always seems ts n the worst weather days as that is when the fuel gets mixed up good. Then it is not only the money but its also the safety and aggravation of working the filters on the seas.
- You can use a 30 mic initial filter and save about 5-6X those changes
- You can also put a spin on bulk filter ahead of the current initial filter and save yourself changing those filters another 5X(now a total of 10X).
- Spin on's being the easiest to change by far.

I do not understand the problems with the on engine filters but I can say that they do not 'fill up' nearly as quickly as most might think using a 30 mic up line - even a 10 mic up line will work much better. Do you have a pressure gage on the on-engine filter?
I have tried all of this with gages on each and learned the results over a longer period of time the harder way.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:12 PM   #56
Guru

[Smitty

I have dual Racors on each engine, easy to switch with a lever, each twin Racors has a vacuum gauge with a recording needle when it gets to 7 or higher I switch to the other Racor and replace the bad filter.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:15 PM   #57
Guru

I should add that once heading to the Bahamas I lost power in one engine, switched to the other Racor and when I got on the banks I changed toe filter.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:23 PM   #58
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Capt Bill - I agree with your post , color means nothing to me either that is why I am trying to understand what other folks mean when they say they are looking at the color.
Build ups of crud and or water will show up on the vacuum readings used to detect that. I only had water on one used boat once - and it was not just a little bit as most of us know the diesel pickups are typically well above the tanks bottom. Thank you
Water alarm probes are a better option to alert you to the presence of water in your bowl than vacuum gauges.

In my experience with very low fuel consumption and fuel return engines like Lehmans that vacuum gauges aren't all that great at predicting fouled filter elements.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:17 PM   #59
Guru

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
I believe some have change the on engine filters to Baldwin BF790 spin on which are 20 micron. Two questions, does the BF790 function well as the final filter and if so what micron size and make are the primary filters? Is there a 5 or 10 micron spin on compatable with the DP 1000 base?
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:56 AM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
[Smitty

I have dual Racors on each engine, easy to switch with a lever, each twin Racors has a vacuum gauge with a recording needle when it gets to 7 or higher I switch to the other Racor and replace the bad filter.
I am not familiar with your engines so the values are likely different but with my past boats the total vacuum before engine rpm affect was greater than 15". On our set up new filters were just about 2" , service life was between 2 and 10-11 ,and change by 12 or when convenient. Unless we had a pretty poor load of fuel which was not typical the hours of use at say 9 gph burned per engine was at least 10-12hrs or more between 7" and 10".
In the case of the twin Racors we had that on a boat as well and placed a bulk spin on ahead of them with a vac gage and that extended the Racor life tremendously to where we were just changing the filters seasonally as part of a winterizing list. The bulk filter 'head' was somewhere like $35 and then the chosen filter for use, gages were about $25 plus snubbers.