I failed at impeller install

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had the same pump on my Grand Banks which had QSC engines rather than QSB, but apparently the same pump. I don't recall the exact thread, but the extractor bolt thread is metric - I remember that much. It's very handy for getting the old impeller out

I don't know about the 1700 series, but the QSB engines use the Sherwood 27000 series pump. That impeller is threaded, but I had a hard time finding a bolt to fit it (didn't run all over town however to try and find one). The 27000 impeller is splined.

Dave, I think I got mine at ACE but certainly Tacoma Screw should be able to help.

Yup. I tried ACE in Gig Harbor but they didn't have anything. Traffic being what it is now days, I decided not to go to Tacoma Screw, although they definitely would have one. I have yet to come up with anything they don't have.

We have an excellent ACE in Port Orchard with a very good selection of nuts and bolts. I assume you don't need the bolt right now but when you find the bolt, I suggest you get two of them - one about 2 1/2" to extract the impeller and another that is 1" long. I use the short bolt when I install the impeller. I screw it into the impeller and than use a hammer to tap it home. Works great.

For ours (17000-series), McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com) was an easy source:

92865A479
92865A483

3/4"-16 fully threaded, one 3" long, one 4" long.

I think I used both, during the process on the 17000-series pumps on our 6CTs, but can't remember why, off-hand.

A socket head on a ratchet makes extraction relatively simple. Way faster than the Sherwood tool.

-Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Art
Now that you mention that, I'm no longer sure that the 27000 is metric. This getting old thing sucks.

Changed my Jabsco yesterday. Lubed with Dawn and watched the bubbles come out the exhaust. Life is good when water pumps pump. Another pump trick some may not know is that if the cover plate is badly worn you can get away with polishing up the outside and use that for your wearing surface.

Has anyone installed the aftermarket waterpump aluminum cover with 4 hand tightening knurled bolts? I forget the brand, (Speedseal)???? but it looked like an really easy way to do underway pronto impeller replacement.

Welcome to Speedseal

Has anyone installed the aftermarket waterpump aluminum cover with 4 hand tightening knurled bolts? I forget the brand, (Speedseal)???? but it looked like an really easy way to do underway pronto impeller replacement.

Welcome to Speedseal

They are great if the nuts are hard to get to. However, all it does it make taking off and replacing the cover of the pump a bit easier. I have never had a boat where the access to the face of the cover was much of a problem.

On nine, Sherwood pump on 2003, 6BTM5.9 @ 210 hp the shaft is not threaded for a bolt. I do have a Jabsco puller for it.

Also to clarify, this engine that we also have in our boat does not have the issue of the motor mount being in the way when removing the pump. I believe that is the case with the BTA version, which is after-cooled. Also, they do not make a seamax pump for the BT (vs the BTA). I just pull the pump when changing the impeller. If I have just run the engine, it comes out easily with some needle nose pliers.

cappy208.
Yes I've fitted 2, one to my Perkins 4236 powered Birchwood.
The old Jabsco cover with little fiddly screws, (one always drops in the bilge) made checking/changing a pain.

The cover is machined brass.
Brilliant improvement, after I fitted one I never fitted an impeller even after cruising from Ireland to Spain. I checked the impeller and replaced it 'just in case', when I got there.
Use loads of washing up liquid to coat the interior walls of the pump housing and the impeller when fitting, it makes the job so easy and lubricates on first start up.
Use a plastic tie wrap to compress the blades for easy impeller insertion.
Don't worry if the blades of the impeller aren't lying the right way because the moment you start the motor they flip into the right direction.
Have plenty of paper towels to clean hands etc.
The knurled nuts on the Speedseal only need to be hand tight firm, the whole idea is to be able to undo them without tools to make impeller change quick and easy.

I was so please with the Speedseal that when I bought 'Snow Mouse' I immediately bought the later modified 'Run dry' version, even better.
I'm just a happy satisfied user.

They are great if the nuts are hard to get to. However, all it does it make taking off and replacing the cover of the pump a bit easier. I have never had a boat where the access to the face of the cover was much of a problem.

I really like the Speedseal, especially for hard-to-reach pumps. In addition to making impeller changes a much easier job, the Speedseal uses an o-ring in a groove on the cover plate (which is a thicker metal plate) to make the seal. It has more of an industrial feel and I prefer the O-ring to paper gaskets. I also prefer the four knurled thumbscrews to the numerous smaller screws holding down the original cover (some of which are still in my bilge). The "high-end" model has a plastic or Teflon bearing surface, which may or may not make a difference, but looks like it should.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom