how much oil for a perkins 6.354?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodsong

Guru
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
I should know this but don't have my engine manual in front of me at the office so....when in doubt, turn to the internet, eh?I want to change the oil in my perkins 6.354. *Am I correct in "thinking" it holds about 1.5 to 2 gallons of oil? *I vaguely recall reading it in the manual but it's on the boat!
What oil do you all typically use in your perkins (brand and weight)? *I have a call into the previous owner to confirm what he used so I can remain consistent but thought I'd see what others prefer to run.

Thanks!

My 4-236 takes 8 quarts, 15W40. Could probably go w/ 30W down here but this is what the PO used.

I changed my oil recently and I pumped out about 10 quarts, so that is what I put back in.* The dipsticks confirm that is about right.* I used Rotella 30 wt.* I think there are many flavors of 6.354 so maybe some take more than others?

My circa 1978 operators manual calls for 10.8 quarts for the 6.354
The Turbo version is 12.6 qts
I had the T version and used Castrol GTX 20-50

-- Edited by jleonard on Tuesday 19th of October 2010 10:44:07 AM

My 6.354 is 185HP and I lube it with 2 gals. of DELO 30W.

we have two ST 6.3544M 220 HP and they take 10 qts apiece.*

My 160 hp 6.354 takes just about 9 quarts.

Rob
37' Sedan

Had a pair of ca. 1970 turbos in my previous boat. Tokk approx 13 quarts each*to fill 'em up.

10q here.

Do not overfill. Judging by the responses, one could get in trouble. Each engine angle and install is a bit different. Best to fill to just below your dipstick high level.

Ed,
Where do you get your Delo 30W?

Do not overfill. Judging by the responses, one could get in trouble. Each engine angle and install is a bit different. Best to fill to just below your dipstick high level.

Very True :thumb: Depending on engine installation angle and what transmission is installed < down angle vs drop center > the oil capasity will vary , some boat builders will re mark the dip stick for their installs and some wont. Care should used in determining the proper sump level so oil foaming from over filling is avoided.

10 Qts.... 1978 manufactured 6.354 NA's... I use Valvoline Premium Blue 10w-40w.

What is the favored way of getting the oil out? Dip stick upper or lower?

10 qts.
I have an automatic pump throught he drain plug.

Guessing these are not in the 45 bay?

Hope this isn't too much of hijack to ask: Why not 15W-30?

I corresponded with some British fellows on YBW....they suggested it...the 10-40W...and as luck would have it...my local NAPA was having a killer deal on the Valvoline Premium Blue for $9.95 a gallon. One other reason I wanted the 40W was because my engines are circa 1978 builds.....with over 6000 hours on them...

What is the favored way of getting the oil out? Dip stick upper or lower?

I generally use the dipstick tube first, then after I get as much out as I can, I unscrew the base and pull it out....so I can manipulate the draw tube to the rear of the pan...so that I get the most of the oil out.

Doesn't your engine come with a manual pump with which you can pump all of the oil out? I have the same Perkins engine in our trawler. The pump is located on the port side of the engine. And yes, it takes 10 quarts, the oil filter is a NAPA 1459. I have been using 30w DELO from Costco.

Here's a screenshot from the manual:

IMG_9177.jpg

Last edited:
Differing Perkins 6.354 oil pans

There appear to be at least two different oil pan configurations for the 6.354. There is one that is confined mostly to within the foot print of the block, the one that appears in Perkins engine manuals. There is another configuration that extends about 1.5 to 2 inches to either side. I assume this one may have more capacity and be more tolerant of heeling.

We have had the wide configuration (two each) in our Gulfstar 44 motor cruiser. However, rebuilt replacement long blocks have arrived and have the narrower oil pan. Of those powerboat owners with 6.354s, which oil pan do you have?

We have the wider pan, use 15w40 (rotella t), and can do both engines with a single 5 gallon bucket with a little to spare.

I put 2.5 gallons in each per the PO.
I use Schaeffer 700 15-40
Seems to be fine.

Back
Top Bottom