Old 07-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
Guru

City: Pensacola
Honda Genset

Do any of you folks use a Honda Genset to augment your Generator? I know Sterling does but I dont have a lot fo info on how the genset is wired to provide ships power.. is it plugged straight into the 30/50 Amp shore power plug?
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Guru

We have been using a 2000 for years and don't have a built in genset YET. The shore power cord is plugged directly into the Honda and we just turn on the items on the panel we want to run. It handles the coffee pot, toaster, hot water heater, microwave, entertainment system, battery charger and about everything but the AC. Not all at once of course. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Guru

Thanks Chuck. I am looking at buying one to augment my Diesel. GAs is cheaper and if I can run some sytems from it, why not?
Old 07-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Chuck View Post
We have been using a 2000 for years and don't have a built in genset YET. The shore power cord is plugged directly into the Honda and we just turn on the items on the panel we want to run. It handles the coffee pot, toaster, hot water heater, microwave, entertainment system, battery charger and about everything but the AC. Not all at once of course. Chuck
Ditto Capn Chuck. We just returned from 9 days on the water. No problem with making electricity...love my Honda! Won't install a genset on this boat. Don't need it.

While cruising, we need access to the swimstep so we run the genset from atop a cushioned bench seat on the flybridge during daylight hours. Never while sleeping. The cushioned seat provides good vibration and sound isolation in the salon and elevates the generator enough for airflow to aid in cooling and exhaust dissipation over the aft canvas.

On extended fishing trips, we sometimes just set it up in a box on the swimstep.
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
I have a Honda 1000 that keeps the Admiral's 120v reefer box (12 cu ft apartment sized fridge) cold while under way. The Honda lives on the aft deck, and I make sure the companionway to the aft cabin's closed. First time I ran it, I set off the CO2 alarm in the aft cabin, due to the "station wagon effect" as they call it... fumes sucked in against the prevailing wind.
The antique 5 kw diesel genset that came with the boat has been dormant since we got the boat. Tried a couple of times to get it running, but since we're marina rats, it never made sense to invest in a replacement. Gimme SHORE POWER!
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #6

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Adelaide
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
I also use a Honda 2000. It's been great. FYI, Costco has a knock off 2000 at the same Decibel rating. It's around $600.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #7

City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44
I have the Honda 2000eu, purchased after conferring with Chuck. I had a welder attach a 3/4 inch galvy pipe nipple to which I attach a 1 inch hose that takes the exhaust out the back and into the water. The 30 amp cord attaches to the generator. Mahalo doesn't like the Eco throttle so I run her full blast. It provides enough power to run whatever I normally use, as Chuck says, not all at once. It's more noisy in a secluded cove with other boats than I would like, but I have never had a complaint.

Before anyone scolds me about co2, I only use it with the plastic windows open and I don't inhabit the back deck when it is on. I installed a co detector directly over it's home and have never had it go off. BUT, I am extremely cautious about the whole thing.
Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
TF Site Team

Baggiolinni,

I've also considered an exhaust extension for use on the FB or on the swim step. I was thinking I could raise it well above the FB or below the water

Can you post or PM me a pic of the nipple/hose? My exhaust is so cool to the touch that I suspect any marine quality rubber hose would suffice. What do you use? How long? Any performance issues with it?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
chc

City: PA
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
Pics would be great. I thought that Honda had a kit that extends the exhaust, but I'm not at all certain about that info. We mount our 2000 on a rubber floor tile (from Lowes) on the swim platform. It will run almost anything electrical on the boat. Frankly, we carry it as a back up for at anchor emergencies; battery charging issues, etc. Our inverter handles most of our normal needs.
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #10

MacGregorSailors.com

I'm not on the boat until next week but mine looks pretty much like this except I used a 45 degree that fits better for my installation. I used 1 inch exhaust hose but it cost nearly 80 bucks for 7 feet. It gets warm but no issues so far. I've only used it for about 10 hours.

Pulled off the muffler and took it to a welding shop and the guy did it right then for $20.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #11

There is a guy on eBay that sells some kind of extension but it doesn't give you much extension and it was a couple of hundred bucks.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggiolini View Post
There is a guy on eBay that sells some kind of extension but it doesn't give you much extension and it was a couple of hundred bucks.
Honda EU2000i EU20i generator exhaust system. Directs exhaust gas outside. | eBay

My engine compartment is plumbed for the exhaust of a Genset (either removed or just an added option). If I hooked my Honda up to it with this setup, what do you think? Someone else willing to try it first.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #13
TF Site Team

Oh sure! That and a dryer vent and you're all set!

(to all gullible mariners, ....just kidding)
Old 07-11-2012, 06:13 AM   #14
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
I also use a Honda 2000. It's been great. FYI, Costco has a knock off 2000 at the same Decibel rating. It's around $600.

Beware of the knockoffs, I bought a 2000 Honeywell for $299. at Homedepot. It is very hard to start almost impossible in cool weather.

Ultimately it has been instrumental in my installing a 4kw diesel unit in Adagio.

If I had gone the Honda route I probably would not have done the builtin marine unit.

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #15
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Oh sure! That and a dryer vent and you're all set!

(to all gullible mariners, ....just kidding)
And you can make a soundproof enclosure out of a styrofoam cooler!
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #16
Guru

Great feedback thanks guys!
Old 07-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Beware of the knockoffs, I bought a 2000 Honeywell for $299. at Homedepot. It is very hard to start almost impossible in cool weather.

Ultimately it has been instrumental in my installing a 4kw diesel unit in Adagio.

If I had gone the Honda route I probably would not have done the builtin marine unit.

JohnP

I just looked it up, gosh these inverter generators are getting cheap. agreed on the warning, Costco does have a strong warranty and return policy though. So it might be worth a try.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #18

City: Hampstead,NC
Vessel Name: HoneyBadger
Vessel Model: 1990 Harkers Island Trawler Typical wooden hull with a Carolina flare and no deadrise at the stern
The Honey Badger when it was used as a fishing boat had a honda in the engine room. I think the exhaust was run out the portside aft through a 2 inch through hull well above the water line. It was used the run the freezers ( 2 ) during long off shore trips. I have seen them mounted alot of places on trawlers and sail boats. Ther was a older trawler in Sun Set Cove, Stuart Fla last winter He had mounted a Honda on the roof it sat on isolators and it was all rubber and a fiberglass insulated box over it looked like a small dock box, i don't remeber where the exhaust went ? But he was one boat away in the mooring field and i could only hear it running if the wind was blowing our way. Jury is still out on what i am going to do on the Honey Badger.
honeybadger is offline   Reply With Quote