Old 03-21-2017, 07:49 AM   #21
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
We have a good system aboard the boat.
I drive a Ram truck with one of these engines so I am aware of the importance of clean fuel...
Thanks,
Bruce
No doubt the Cummins in your AT has the same nameplate as your pickup, but there the boating world similarity ends.

I'd guess that 90% (or higher) of the diesel engine issues we boaters encounter are directly tied to the marine environment and related hardware. This 90% that can shut us down involves heat exchangers, raw water pumps, scaling and fouling, after coolers, propulsion systems, fuel delivery and exhaust systems to name a few.

As your wonderful new vessel's engine ages it will begin to mimic those that are already entering the teenage years and beyond. The marine engine environment treats no nameplate kindly. It is immune to ethnicity, political leanings and propaganda. The marine diesel loves a good initial in vessel setup, proper care, lots of attention and seed money.

If only my boat's engines could be dry land stored, as well pampered and easily cared for as my truck's.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:05 AM   #22
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
That exceeds Cummins specs.
This is not the first of these boats built. There are a couple hundred of them out there now.
Have not heard of issues by owners and I've been asking.
They do some interesting things in the fuel system for some interesting reasons that I never understood.
I am happy with the design and I am not easy to please!
Bruce
I would expect this to be the case. There are a lot of QSB (what you have, right?) and QSC engines in marine service for over 10 years now, and the filtration is well specified by Cummins. 10 micron external, plus the on-engine filter which I think is 2 micron.

Do you have the dual racor setup? That makes filter swap trivial if you need to do it while underway, and allows for continued operation while you replace the plugged filter element. But even that I think is overkill for most cruising.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:37 AM   #23
Guru

Yes, there is a dual Racor set up for the engine.
We also chose to include the optional vacuum gauge mounted at the helm so that we can keep an eye on things.
As to diesel reliability in the marine environment, this may be be the largest marine engine I've cared for but it certainly is not the first.
Having spent my life in the business of auto maintenance, I've amassed a little knowledge along the way and I'm at very least "capable".
I've personally seen to the care of far fussier machinery than this and I like maintaining machinery more than most people like a good beer and a ball game.
My background and almost perverse interest in mechanical things won't allow me any kind of magic ability to avoid problems but it should allow me to spot them sooner and certainly avoid the more common lack of maintenance induced failures.
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:26 AM   #24
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
There are LOTS of Q series running with simply the filtration system Cummins specified. Very few injection system failures that I have heard of, and my ear is pretty close to the vine.

I consider the Cummins specs for filtration adequate. If you want to put additional filtration on, or if your tanks are full of crap, nothing wrong with adding more. If my tanks were full of crap, I would consider it.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:02 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
There are LOTS of Q series running with simply the filtration system Cummins specified. Very few injection system failures that I have heard of, and my ear is pretty close to the vine.

I consider the Cummins specs for filtration adequate. If you want to put additional filtration on, or if your tanks are full of crap, nothing wrong with adding more. If my tanks were full of crap, I would consider it.
Wow, people skip the external filter? I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Bruce should also be free from crap in his tank for a long time.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:20 PM   #26
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Wow, people skip the external filter? I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Bruce should also be free from crap in his tank for a long time.
No, the spec includes a 10mic external filter. A racor 10mic primary, on engine secondary.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
No, the spec includes a 10mic external filter. A racor 10mic primary, on engine secondary.
OK, I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that people commonly omitted the external 10 micron racor (or other brand of your choice), and just ran with the on-engine filter.