Help need to locating a turbo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seagirl

Vessel Name
Seabiscuit
Vessel Make
Mainship 40
I am posting because I need help locating a new or rebuilt turbo for a 1985 Mainship 40 with twin Perkins engines. I have everyone I know looking, with no luck. So I am asking for any advise. Please help...

What is wrong with turbo? Some problems can be repaired.

Do you have the mfr and part number for what you are looking for?

I was told by my mechanic it needs to be rebuilt. Holset H1B/6581F/J13E5
part # 3500839 off a 1981 Perkins 6.354.4M Any advise would be very helpful. Thank you

So what exactly is wrong with it?

A local turbo shop should be able to rebuild it, depending on what is wrong with it. Why are you looking for a whole replacement?

We sent it to be rebuilt and was told that it can not be done. At this point we are looking for a replacement. Unfortunately, I don't know why they can not rebuild it. We did find this place in Virginia called TAD (Trans Atlantic Diesel). Our next step is to send the turbo to them, and keep our fingers crossed.

Last edited:
You were right to try Trans-Atlantic Diesel.......good people, they currently have my Perkins head and Manicooler for the same engine. Also try Perkins of Houston and Perkins West.........can't seem to get the link to paste here though. You can google 'em

Perkins Diesel Engine Parts and Service | Perkins Pacific

Call Turbo Solutions in Pennsauken NJ. 844-428-8726. They are a wholesale reman facility and primarily work for truck and equipment dealers and do not do retail work but if you tell the owner (Warren Klein) that you know me (John Malley) I'm sure he will fix you up with a replacement or he'll overhaul yours. He is a Holset reman center.
John
MS390

Are they coolant cooled housings? Some Perkins are some not depending on HP.
If NOT, then you can easily replace with a Holset H1C or WH1C which are readily available either new or used. They were standard on the older Dodge Cummins pickups. You will have to adapt the air plumbing, but they will function fine.
There are also marine versions of the H1C with cooled housings that should be available although somewhat rarer.
I recently sold one.

Any good truck parts supplier should be able to get you one. Borg Warner makes a direct replacement I'm quite sure.

At first I received quotes of $2400 to $3200. Then found rebuilder who did a great job for $1850. Cummins has purchased two of the turbo OEM companies. Important to lubed exhaust side and block cold moist air coming up tail pipe during winter layup.

Turbo's don't just go out.
Properly set up, your turbo should easily outlast the life of the rest of the motor.
They can be damaged by overheating, loss of oil supply, or raw water ingestion.
The latter is the most common reason for failure that I see.
Visit Seaboard Marine website, think it's sbmar.com, they have articles and tips on the subject, it won't hurt to understand whats going on in there!

There's 2 on Ebay searching for Perkins 6.354. Also try a tractor supply. Same engine used in Massey Ferguson, probably cheaper, too.

Back
Top Bottom