Old 10-10-2013, 06:34 AM   #81
Ben
Guru

City: Clayton, NC
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Model: Heritage East 44 / Twin Perkins T6.3544
Okay, so I am traveling on business, returning Saturday night. Anyone know a diesel-friendly auto parts store where I could pick up the right spin-on filters on a Sunday ?

I've tried one or two, but since its not for a Ford Taurus or toyota Camry, the staff just kind of stares at you. Some real stores open during the week, so that's my back up plan. Just ready to get motor started earliest!
Old 10-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #82
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
It is painful dealing with the average chain owned auto parts store. I have had the same problem. I give them a Baldwin filter number and they ask me what its for. I tell them Volvo marine diesel and I get a blank stare. They just advise me to visit the Volvo marine place an hours drive away.

I spend two minutes on the internet, looking up a cross reference from Baldwin to the brand they carry, and they have it in stock.

It's worth keeping a record of your filter part numbers, and research the equivalent part number in all the major brands.
All parts stores used to have a complete listing of cross references for part numbers, but for some reason they can't work it out now.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #83
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Wix is usually the best number to go in with, Napa and Carquest both base their filter numbers on the Wix number.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #84
Ben
Guru

Yah,

I might have to phone-order ahead. Usually one is available in a warehouse. I need to visit the closest diesel truck store in town on a week day.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #85
Ben
Guru

Spin-Ons. Awesome. So happy. Picture of captain and his happy purring friend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2790785331.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	23703

Spin-On attachments and filters. Dog got fed finally. And had to clean up the mess.

I didn't mind.
Attached Thumbnails
image-4255390072.jpg   image-1620777133.jpg   image-3038357715.jpg  
Old 10-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #86
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Sweet! Does it run??
Old 10-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #87
Ben
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkliftt View Post
Sweet! Does it run??
Like a top. Seems like it runs even a little better.

Took me a couple weeks to get adapters and filters. But blew a whole weekend trying to get standard CAVs to work. With new set up, it started right up and never stalled.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #88
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Super-duper happy for you there, Mate! **wipes a gentle tear from his cheek**

Thanks for the video of your running motor. I was kinda proud of you. (That may be too creepy for open forum... sorry)

I really think you should keep the boat down there and keep this trend up. HOWEVER, don't get too cocky about your success. It won't be too many more projects in the future that you get the royal smackdown again, but keep your head up. We are here to help. (or just argue among ourselves while you walk away and figure it out on your own)

Once again... GREAT JOB!
Old 10-15-2013, 07:04 AM   #89
Ben
Guru

Hey Tom, Thanks. I had a real hard time with the air bubbles, but when I re-installed the spin-on adapter and filters, bled the system, it cranked first time and never looked back. It was soooo good to hear my baby crank up. And even better to hear it stay running strong.

It was valuable working through that and learning. I'm really pretty scared of the engine and screwing something up, but even if you screw something up, you have to fix it anyway or call someone - who fixes it anyway.

How many batteries do you use? 12V or 6V? I need a battery strategy. I also need to rip out a bunch of old wiring. In 2014 there are more modern ways of doing what was done in 1986. I need fresh gauges and wire chases. Bridge gauges are pretty unreliable.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #90
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Skinny Dippin' uses 4x6V golf cart batteries. TBH, not really enough and I will add more in the future. Still, it's currently plenty.

As for the wiring. Take it one system at a time and learn where it all goes. Learn what is being used and what is not. When you see a bad connection with electrical tape, wire nuts, or generally failing... fix it or replace it. If it's not in use... pull it out. Over time, you'll have MUCH neater wiring and a MUCH greater understanding of the system overall. That's the most important.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #91
Ben
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
As for the wiring. Take it one system at a time and learn where it all goes. Learn what is being used and what is not. When you see a bad connection with electrical tape, wire nuts, or generally failing... fix it or replace it. If it's not in use... pull it out. Over time, you'll have MUCH neater wiring and a MUCH greater understanding of the system overall. That's the most important.
Well, that's what I'm aiming for. I'm close to making my own wiring diagrams. The bridge is the most questionable. Not sure how much of the designed current is reaching the instruments, and I suspect that with the age of the instruments, there's some physical dirt, corrosion, particulate, and just plain age that's making them off. (Tach is under-true, water and oil pressure are off).

Plus, I've got stray dead wires galore. Many hands have touched my wiring. Very easy to see.

But at least I've got fresh fuel filters!
Old 10-16-2013, 05:30 AM   #92
FF
Guru

Quote:
Okay, so I am traveling on business, returning Saturday night. Anyone know a diesel-friendly auto parts store where I could pick up the right spin-on filters on a Sunday ?
Check ahead of time in a FRAM or other cross reference book.
Farm places that handle a wild variety of engine parts is better than a chain store .

When you get the proper sets of numbers write then in the log and buy a CASE.

Each filters will need to be placed in a plastic bag as they will rust aboard in storage.
A spray of the steel portions inside with fogging oil is a help.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote